Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

A great win and 3 points, worked our socks off all game and the back 4 was so solid, only allowing Norwich 2 shots on target all game, and Johnston was a beast again in the holding midfield role, Bent worked his arse off all game and Ince again put 100 percent effort in, we are now really looking a team, who want to pull on the Rams shirt and play for our club, So mr Mac has now been in charge for 7 games won 5 , lost 1 and drawn 1, even I could not have predicted this would happen , when he return as manager, can not wait for the next game, I am now back in love with my team, thank you Mr Mac.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

We are getting battered 

13 hours ago, 61GT said:

Any idea how we're playing?

13 hours ago, nfb said:

ATM we're 2nd best :(

13 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

We've been pretty awful so far

Just shows how misleading rafio derby commentary can be.

11 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

I think Jacob Murphy will be better than Nathan Redmond though, so don't use him as a yardstick. The twins are getting plaudits from all over and linked with all sorts of big teams. 

And Murphy's decision making was actually very poor today from accounts I've heard?

Mark Robins (co-commentator on local radio) was actually complimentary of some of the defensive work / backtracking that Ince did today, despite Ince's reputation as a slacker when it comes to pitching in, and reckons he must be working on that side of his game. 

Both of the murphy twins have alot of potential altho it seems to be taking them a while to break through.

however i was a bit disappointed with jacob murphy. I thought he would really test max lowe, but that didn't really happen.

norwich are playing the middlesboro way. 4231 with two holding midfielders. Whilst that makes you difficult to break down, it does also limit your ability to play. I'm not sure how necessary it is to have two holding midfielders in the championship week in week out.  mulumbu was lucky to stay on the pitch (was he even booked?) and tettey was anonymous. Brady pushed forward to offer the outlet / most threat. Ryan bennett was excellent (what dodgy defence?). It was a tight game but - whilst not at our best - i think we deserved the win. BJ produced a good performance.  

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

norwich are playing the middlesboro way. 4231 with two holding midfielders. Whilst that makes you difficult to break down, it does also limit your ability to play. I'm not sure how necessary it is to have two holding midfielders in the championship week in week out.  mulumbu was lucky to stay on the pitch (was he even booked?) and tettey was anonymous. 

We've got Howson and Dorrans out injured. We've got a kid called Louis Thomson who is promising but he was a let down in the previous fixture, and we've got another talented kid called James Maddison who for some reason was sent to Scotland on loan (disagreed with that decision).

So not sure that we had much other option but to play Tettey and Mulumbu yesterday. We're definitely a side which functions a lot better with Howson in the team, who is more of an all round midfielder and can do a bit of everything (probably our most important player these days really). 

We were never under the cosh though so Ramage and Co as usual are full of negative ****

We were never awful or poor. Norwich got into some decent positions as you'd expect from such a side. But there was always some superb defending to see them off. We were never under constant pressure. In the first half it was sporadic raids from both teams. Norwich probably had a couple more than Derby but Derby probably came closest. It was very much 2 teams containing each other.

Infact the whole game was quite low risk from both teams. Neither fussed about the other having possession. Neither side pressed to win the ball as i imagine both feared leaving space for key attacking players. Only after the 65th minute goal did Norwich start to press and then?.... our attacking players started finding space in the final third.

It always looked like two heavyweight boxers trying to avoid big knockout blows and just jabbing. Until the 65th minute it was a win for both coaches defensive plan. The raids from each team in attack stopped it being too dull.

I'd rather listen to Radio 1 then Radio Derby, Get about as much info on the match

RD have the emotional maturity of a five year old. 

Everything is brilliant or rubbish.

If we are losing or we get a bad decision, they start whining 'it's not fair' like they've just been eliminated from musical chairs.

There is no balance. One has clearly never played the game and one is stuck in a time warp.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Another thing about yesterday, did the ref leave his cards at home?! How mulubu escaped without a booking I'll never know

He gave him a warning then let him make two further fouls within ten minutes.

He looked as frightened of him as our midfield!

13 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Intriguing game between two very evenly matched sides. Cancelled each other out to a large degree. Norwich possibly edged first half but we bossed the second and were well worthy of the win.

All the back four were excellent, extremely impressed with Baird, amazing what players can do when played in their correct positions. Lowe gets better every game. As for midfield Johnson had a poor first half but stronger second and a great goal. He's doing ok in an unnatural position. Will was as poor as I think I've ever seen him play but apparently he's been ill this week. He'll be back to his best next game. Butterfield deserves a lot of credit, I've been a critic but he was excellent today building on last week. As for the front 3, didn't happen for Ince today but at least he was involved in the game, thought Russell did well second half and bent worked tirelessly.

Decent performance against a good side. We looked really solid and carry a goal threat. We are definitely promotion contenders again now. Can see the winning run continuing against Wigan then bring on the Red Dogs!!

Totally agree. Mind bogglingly logical but Pearson didn't get it!?! 

Felt very sorry for Baird in the Liverpool game - playing him in a four man midfield was just setting him up to look crap IMO.

13 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Gathering momentum win on Saturday v Wigan and forest could be in for a battering :) can't fault any of the lads yesterday all put a shift in quietly climbing to where we belong. #ramsonaroll..

For me get a win at wigan then whatever against forest, we know its the sort of game that form has no bearing on.

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

We were never under the cosh though so Ramage and Co as usual are full of negative ****

We were never awful or poor. Norwich got into some decent positions as you'd expect from such a side. But there was always some superb defending to see them off. We were never under constant pressure. In the first half it was sporadic raids from both teams. Norwich probably had a couple more than Derby but Derby probably came closest. It was very much 2 teams containing each other.

Infact the whole game was quite low risk from both teams. Neither fussed about the other having possession. Neither side pressed to win the ball as i imagine both feared leaving space for key attacking players. Only after the 65th minute goal did Norwich start to press and then?.... our attacking players started finding space in the final third.

It always looked like two heavyweight boxers trying to avoid big knockout blows and just jabbing. Until the 65th minute it was a win for both coaches defensive plan. The raids from each team in attack stopped it being too dull.

I'd rather listen to Radio 1 then Radio Derby, Get about as much info on the match

Steady on!

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Another thing about yesterday, did the ref leave his cards at home?! How mulubu escaped without a booking I'll never know

It was odd. I noticed, before the game, that he had a biggish cards to games ratio yet was a pussy cat in the first half particularly. 

18 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Hughes wasn't at his best today, but rewatch the goal and see what he does. In real time I thought he held on to it for too long but what he did was attract 4-5 players towards him and, even though he gets tackled, it gave Johnson the room to get a clean strike. Yeah if it's not a goal he doesn't look too good, but I'll give him kudos for just helping to create it in a tight game.

Also I'm a fully paid up member of the Darren Bent Fan Club now, his movement in and around the box to find two extra yards is sublime at times

Welcome. You're are second member here. Not too crowded yet.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well said Alpha

It really is astonishing how so many just cannot help themselves but critisise someone on our own team despite how well things may be going - its almost if their day isn't complete without doing that 

Maybe what would be good is start a new thread : what sort of result and performance would it take for you to be entirely satisfied and not complain about one of our players ?

An 11: nil win against Newcastle, where everyone scores ? 

"Johnny should have had a hatrick - poor " , "Carson was lucky with their one shot on target", "Other than his 30 yard blockbuster, Baird was awful", "Will only had 6 assists - he must get on the scoresheet himself more often" 

Is it always like this ?

Archived