Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Baird and Johnson were fantastic today. It wasn't a game that we took a hold of but we did manage to land more punches, one of them eventually paid off. Great goal by Johnson too, I don't buy the idea that Hughes played for it, he had few options inside when he turned at the goal but he dithered and was caught, it was luck not judgement that saw the ball fall to Johnson. Still, it was a great shot. 

Hughes was poor, fairly out of sorts but you can forgive him that, he's rarely like that. Keogh did well, Lowe also had a great game. Russell is a strange one, I'm unsure if he just isn't fit or was carrying a knock, there were several incidents of him not getting involved in play or walking behind player panting for breath. Then he'd be sprinting again twenty minutes later. Very strange. 

Norwich matched us with their formation but very rarely looked dangerous, their best chance came from Butterfield's stray pass and only in the last ten minutes did we seem to creak at all. Of their two penalty shouts the first could definitely have been given, the second was too far away for me to judge too much but it didn't look like one at the time. Also hoping Bent's injury was just an impact one, we really won't want to lose him for the Forest game. 

All in all it was a good win where, minus our own mistakes, we denied Norwich any real chances whatsoever despite their possession. 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I'm not sure what game you were watching but I thought Ince was excellent once again today, always trying to get on the ball and get things moving, dragged us out of a rut early on and although things didn't always come off he was a big threat to their defence and you could tell how fearful they were of him. Will agree on the rest of the post tho, Baird was brilliant today, and I think it gave Ince the freedom to go forward without fear, Johnsons distribution was woeful first half although he did break up play well, was much improved second half. Will also add that I think bents all round play, especially his touch, was sublime today- he's developed his game well to suit our style of play and I apoligise for thinking he was past it

You certainly were watching a different game to me good sir. Ince lost the ball on a number of occasions and when him and Bent were 1 on 1 with ruddy Ince hesitated which allowed ruddy to run out and clear it. That's enough criticism from me  on him today. Let's praise the bird :ph34r:

Just now, Alex W said:

Both Baird and Johnson were fantastic today. It wasn't a game that we took a hold of but we did manage to land more punches, one of them eventually paid off. Great goal by Johnson too, I don't buy the idea that Hughes played for it, he had few options inside when he turned at the goal but he dithered and was caught, it was luck not judgement that saw the ball fall to Johnson. Still, it was a great shot. 

Hughes was poor, fairly out of sorts but you can forgive him that, he's rarely like that. Keogh did well, Lowe also had a great game. Russell is a strange one, I'm unsure if he just isn't fit or was carrying a knock, there were several incidents of him not getting involved in play or walking behind player panting for breath. Then he'd be sprinting again twenty minutes later. Very strange. 

Norwich matched us with their formation but very rarely looked dangerous, their best chance came from Butterfield's stray pass and only in the last ten minutes did we seem to creak at all. Of their two penalty shouts the first could definitely have been given, the second was too far away for me to judge too much but it didn't look like one at the time. Also hoping Bent's injury was just an impact one, we really won't want to lose him for the Forest game. 

All in all it was a good win where, minus our own mistakes, we denied Norwich any real chances whatsoever despite their possession. 

Have to say, I agree with pretty much all of us. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Full-time, Derby win 1-0 and we're up to 8th. Two points off the play-offs for now. This was unthinkable a month ago but we've done it and we're continuing to do it.

Young Rams fans all over the country are going to be asking for one thing this Christmas. They'll want to be just like their hero. No, it's not a Rams shirt or a pair of fancy boots, but a receding hairline. So they can be just like the man, the myth, the legend. Sir Steve McClaren.

He might grow some hair back ,if we continue winning,well done the lads and all at DCFC.

On fire certainly not but yes very steady and getting on the right side of results, both games against Norwich and Leeds were won with strikes from outside the box is very nice to see and today was the first time a central midfielder actually scored a goal for us this season and if we can get the likes of Hughes butterfield Bryson and Johnson doing that then it will become interesting! 

Not sure how anyone can knock Ince today. He looks a different player. I was ready to suggest selling at a substantial loss just to move him on. 

But the last few games have been a revelation. On one notable occasion today he was diving into tackles in central midfield and fighting for the ball with real controlled aggression. And numerous other times he stuck a foot in or made a block.

If I had to criticise anyone it would be Hughes but I'm rational enough to realise that I'm criticising him against his best rather than against normal criteria .

39 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I think Jacob Murphy will be better than Nathan Redmond though, so don't use him as a yardstick. The twins are getting plaudits from all over and linked with all sorts of big teams. 

And Murphy's decision making was actually very poor today from accounts I've heard?

Mark Robins (co-commentator on local radio) was actually complimentary of some of the defensive work / backtracking that Ince did today, despite Ince's reputation as a slacker when it comes to pitching in, and reckons he must be working on that side of his game. 

The person who made the original comment is @McLovin, who has never given Tom Ince credit for anything.

13 minutes ago, Rampage said:

List of teams who fancy their chances of getting three points from us at present

Newcastle are a level above anybody in this league and have got no reason to fear anybody even if they had a freak defeat today. And its difficult to see Brighton slipping up this time, they are also an excellent team.

But Derby and Villa are will be getting into the top 6 and staying there, both have momentum. Jury is out on whether Norwich can get their **** together if we change manager, we did last time. 

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

The person who made the original comment is @McLovin, who has never given Tom Ince credit for anything.

Nonsense. I've given him praise on many occasions in the past. I criticise him more because he has the talent but he isn't consistent enough in the big games and the statistics back this up. He didn't do enough for me today and McClaren obviously agreed because came down from the stands to tell him to follow his man, as did Baird. Not going to criticise him any more because no-one can play well any game unless you're Messi.

5 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

Maybe I'm homosexual?

I'm not, but what if I were? Would that be unacceptable, or has football overcome its problem with homophobia? 

If you were told you could take any 3 Norwich players you wouldn't be picking any of our defenders on this seasons form, so stop being a disingenuous twit.

It was a joke bud ! Don't blow it out of proportion , clearly wasn't homophobic was it ? 

P.s don't worry too much about your defenders because your strikers are even shitter.  

1 minute ago, NorwichLad said:

Newcastle are a level above anybody in this league and have got no reason to fear anybody.

Then its you and Brighton on the next level. 

And we are out of the race unless we sack our manager very quickly, choose the next one very carefully, and have left a bit of wonga in the pot for a defender or two in January. 

Newcastle are above everyone in the league  us, you, Brighton and Villa are on the same level imo. You will turn it around, you have too much quality in your team not too. I've always been a Hoolahan fan, obviously he won't be able to play every game but you have an adequate replacement in Pritchard. You will be fine and I'm confident that you will make the play offs at the end of the season

Archived