McClaren

Day

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ramit said:

The players are happy, the fans are happy, Steve's happy and Mel and Sam are happy and i am happy and even Ince is happy

Happy times are definitely here

Steve-McClaren-the--forme-011.jpg?w=620&

Is Butterfield happy? That's when we really know when we're in business.

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I was very despondent when Mac1 was sacked. I was even more despondent when Pearson was appointed - I knew his approach was never going to work. I was absolutely delighted when Pearson took the exit and ecstatic when Mac2 was appointed. I knew he'd turn it around quickly. I knew I was right. I always am. Anyone fancy going down my local with me for last orders?

Still a "work in progress". We should have won by far more today but we still lack that clinical carnivorous edge of the starving tiger...we're more like hungry kittens content with a bit of warm milk in our bellies rather than stripping the raw flesh from the bones of the opposition. But that will come, hopefully by the time the Red Dogs come to town. :mellow:

:thumbsup: quote of the day .. Someone buy that man a pint. 

59 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Some managers just fit with some clubs. I was delighted first time he got the job. ( wanted rid of Nigel) and was delighted again this time ( wanted rid of Nigel). It will work this time, play offs this year, up in next 2.

Can we all agree never to appoint another Nigel. Schteve might not always be available to bail us out!

So far very good. He's turned around a team that was becoming miserable - to watch and play in - in pretty short order, with help from his staff. In turn that has positively affected the whole club by the looks of it, on and off the pitch.

He said after today's game that we were still short in a few places. It will be interesting to see if he, and his staff, have the ability to recruit and train the players to be better still, against better teams.

If I have any lingering concern, which I also had first time around, it's about the 'Butts' and 'Jonos' and 'Inceys' and appearing to want to be the players' mate; about him being in thrall to Jose and the other PL managers. In part it's his nature but sometimes you have to stuff the lot of them in order to get results, especially when you're on a bad run.

But so far very good.

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

So far very good. He's turned around a team that was becoming miserable - to watch and play in - in pretty short order, with help from his staff. In turn that has positively affected the whole club by the looks of it, on and off the pitch.

He said after today's game that we were still short in a few places. It will be interesting to see if he, and his staff, have the ability to recruit and train the players to be better still, against better teams.

If I have any lingering concern, which I also had first time around, it's about the 'Butts' and 'Jonos' and 'Inceys' and appearing to want to be the players' mate; about him being in thrall to Jose and the other PL managers. In part it's his nature but sometimes you have to stuff the lot of them in order to get results, especially when you're on a bad run.

But so far very good.

Spot on. Mac needs to sharpen the knife sometimes. The "SteeveeGee" and "Becks" things were his England downfall. His closeness to players is both his strength and also his weakness. He needs a bad cop in his coaching staff to counter his good cop. 

Seriously though; the way I which he talks about "educating the crowd", Christ! It may be well be a dig but I love it! Some of you need to understand that knocking it about whilst we're three-nil up is a good thing. Total control. We're getting to a level I didn't expect of this squad and I love them.

5 hours ago, cannable said:

Seriously though; the way I which he talks about "educating the crowd", Christ! It may be well be a dig but I love it! Some of you need to understand that knocking it about whilst we're three-nil up is a good thing. Total control. We're getting to a level I didn't expect of this squad and I love them.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought every team had 'worked us out'?

I hope this time around after seeing the grass isn't always greener that people understand how we play more. The whole 2014/15 season was filled with panic and worry that we weren't smashing this team or are we good enough for the PL or "We're figured out" and of course after a blip of results "Pearson or Dyche would have this team promoted"

We're not a PL team in disguise. We are not miles better than anyone in the Champ. We don't need to worry about the PL or beating teams 8-0. 

With Mac all our football has a purpose. ALWAYS. If we're knocking it about then it's usually either drawing the oppositon out or we're (shocking i know..) defending WITH the ball or we're simply recovering some energy. 

When the time is right you can guarantee Derby will come forward with speed and in numbers. But people hopefuly now understand that this can't last 90mins for 46 games. 

Yesterday Rotherham moved the ball well for 15 mins. In 2015 this would anger some fans. But after seeing the alternatives then i hope people understood that Derby were still in control and were comfortable with what Rotherham were doing. There was no need to be "Quick! get the ball because we have 6 goals to score". We were patient and respectful that we could actually lose this game. 

It's not always possible to be pouring forward with slick one touch football. I hope people are more patient now and just enjoy it when run rampant rather than demand it. 

And as for being figured out when we lose... it's quite hard to stop Derby and stick to your own gameplan. It's much better that our lads figure out what we're doing rather than trying to spring a surprise on the opponent. As seen from the early Clement tenure and Pearson, being unpredictable isn't good if our own players are confused about the system

Archived