McClaren

Day

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2016 at 03:28, Chester40 said:

Totally agree. Having failed so miserably with England and Newcastle, his chance at the highest level has gone UNLESS he takes us up and he knows it. He's never struck me as a Dario Gradi, prepared to carve out a reputation amongst fellow Pro's and shun the limelight.

But that's great for us, he is focused and driven...and as a club we should finally have learned that chopping and changing hasn't worked. If he'd started poorly it would be a horrible connundrum..but he's jumped back in the misfiring car and its purring again.

He's got a free run this season, no pressure....but top 6 would be nice. Then next season he can really go for it. All the talk of money making the gap ever bigger? Bottom 3 of Premier League could be 3 bang average teams (eg Swansea, Hull for starters are poor) ..no reason we can't run away with it next season?

How many times has this been said....???

On 20 November 2016 at 08:24, Kernow said:

I really don't know what it is about McClaren and Derby, It just clicks. He hasn't been very successful at all since he left Twente for Wolfsburg after winning the Eredivisie and that was six years ago. Yet here he can be successful and he just gets us playing well despite the fact that a lot of players here now weren't here when he was.

I think he'll appreciate how good he has it here and even though there are much bigger clubs than us, the best thing he could do is just stay as long as possible.

Perhaps Steve will not only understand (a) that bigger is not necessarily better; and (b) that there are two ways of experiencing a bigger club, either inheriting the mantle of an historically "big club" which is desperately trying to hold onto that status, or finally delivering on the promise one of the most traditional and largest of the medium-sized clubs which has often threatened to fulfil its potential and grow into a "big club".

There's a hell of a lot of kudos to be had in finally delivering the future to Derby which we've periodically seemed to verge on throughout our history. There is also the small matter of the recently depleted state of his CV.  It is easy to forget how quickly English football responded to McClaren's coaching excellence first time around at Deby. Had he won promotion with us last time, his CV would read "Failure - England, Promotion - Derby, Failure - Newcastle" instead of "Failure - England, Meh - Derby, Failure - Newcastle".

It makes a significant difference when your last unquestionable success was arguably a decade ago at Middlesborough.

As for Mac's progress with the squad, we are still far behind where we were two seasons ago but, more than anything else, that says a great deal about the depth of the hole we were in this season.

The squad was bereft of confidence and passion and there's no doubt in my mind that rebuilding some shattered belief among some players (who rely far too heavily on confidence) was a major project.

3 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Perhaps Steve will not only understand (a) that bigger is not necessarily better; and (b) that there are two ways of experiencing a bigger club, either inheriting the mantle of an historically "big club" which is desperately trying to hold onto that status, or finally delivering on the promise one of the most traditional and largest of the medium-sized clubs which has often threatened to fulfil its potential and grow into a "big club".

There's a hell of a lot of kudos to be had in finally delivering the future to Derby which we've periodically seemed to verge on throughout our history. There is also the small matter of the recently depleted state of his CV.  It is easy to forget how quickly English football responded to McClaren's coaching excellence first time around at Deby. Had he won promotion with us last time, his CV would read "Failure - England, Promotion - Derby, Failure - Newcastle" instead of "Failure - England, Meh - Derby, Failure - Newcastle".

It makes a significant difference when your last unquestionable success was arguably a decade ago at Middlesborough.

As for Mac's progress with the squad, we are still far behind where we were two seasons ago but, more than anything else, that says a great deal about the depth of the hole we were in this season.

The squad was bereft of confidence and passion and there's no doubt in my mind that rebuilding some shattered belief among some players (who rely far too heavily on confidence) was a major project.

Are you discarding what many view as his biggest achievement -taking Twente to their first ever Dutch title which was 7 years ago?

3 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Big ask thinking Rotherham would help us out, they are 5h1t

You say that but they deserved a point tonight easily and with 10 men for 60 minutes. How they didn't score at the end in a goal mouth scramble is beyond me

17 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I always discard the Dutch league.

I should hope that that's a joke, it may be a bit weaker now but it's still one of the better world leagues and it's a huge feat to beat Ajax and psv to the title- they're two huge historical clubs. The number of great players that have come from the Dutch league and their impact as a nation on modern football makes it IMO wrong to discard the Dutch league like it's Scotland 

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I should hope that that's a joke, it may be a bit weaker now but it's still one of the better world leagues and it's a huge feat to beat Ajax and psv to the title- they're two huge historical clubs. The number of great players that have come from the Dutch league and their impact as a nation on modern football makes it IMO wrong to discard the Dutch league like it's Scotland 

As an Australian, I totally agree with the Dutch impact upon world football. We owe any development we've made in that regard to a succession of Dutch influences.

Nonetheless, I was not joking. It is nigh on impossible to pay anything more than cursory attention to leagues outside the EPL and the three most significant continental leagues.

The truth is I overlooked Mac's history with FC Twente for the second time since his return.

Archived