Our best three players?

JoeDerby

Seen a few little hints of people not really rating Hughes throughout the forum

I'm putting my fiver down as him being the next Martin. The grass is greener on the other side. 

Until he's gone. 

As for Johnson, he's in form but I don't really understand how he can be rated one of our best players. He's struggled for a long time. His passing is weak which for a central midfielder is not great news. I like him, I'm glad he's found form and I'd start him on Saturday 100%. Best player? Not a chance

Been thinking about Butterfield too. How some turn their noses up at him. It makes me wonder who they're comparing him to. What they call a good Champ central midfielder and what they expect from that player. I accept some may not rate him as high as others but there's that element of typical Derby whinging (Dawkins, Hendrick) about a player. He's a very good part of the squad and I'd say he's playing better than Hendrick did on average. Hendrick was up and down. Butters is more levelled out. 

You get little trends with Derby fans where if a player shows a level of consistency or reliability then it becomes a bit of a "yeah, he's not improving. Same old mistakes. Nothing special." Yet if a player is up and down then they get the full on zero to hero treatment. 

And I know people are sucker for anyone who looks busy. You can have a 50% pass accuracy but so long as you chase, harass and win the ball back and smash a few crosses in then plenty will adore you. Even if you aren't producing much. 

If you do your role within the team and expect everyone to do theirs (so you're not running around like a dog on a park) then you're not safe to have bad games. 

People just love seeing footballers "working hard" and earning their money. I can work hard. My dog would work hard. I'd rather see the sort of quality that made me, you and Dave supporters and not players. That doesn't mean nobody works hard btw. But "never stopped running" has nothing to do with playing well or not. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Thorne and Hughes. I'm struggling for the third as I think there are multiple candidates, but it's difficult to compare a centre back to a centre forward, for example, as they have totally different attributes. 

The reason however that I choose Hughes and Thorne is that I believe they would stand out in whatever team they played, whereas I can't think of any other players that would do that. 

I'm with you.

Maybe Carson as a third one. Every single of our players can be good on their day, but Carson is reliable. Great habit to have as a keeper. Nothing like Grant...

In terms of importance to the team (when fit) can't disagree with..

Hughes  Thorne  Keogh

but the 'when fit' means there's a case for  Carson Johnson Martin Butterfield or Ince

to be honest.

Can we just go back to winning every match 4 and 5 nil, please.

Its gonna happen sometime soon eh.

well, it's a subjective question with 2 meanings. Meaning 1, who are performing best. and Meaning 2, who are the best players.

Meaning 2, for me are probably Butterfield, Ince and Russell. If those 3 were playing at 9/10, we'd be unplayable. I'd also give an honourable mention to Keogh, cos on his day, he has everything in his locker ability-wise.

Meaning 1, which is effectively form, for me at the moment, are Pearce, Carson and possibly Johnson

Will is our best player and anyone who can't see that is blinder than a welders dog.

Thorne is probably #2 - at least I hope he still is when he comes back.

#3 is between Carson, Keogh, Pearce, Christie, Fozzy, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince or Vydra.

In other words I don't know.

This is my top 3:

1) Thorne

2) Hughes

3) Vydra(based on talent and potential, not necessarily on what he has done so far)

I think this thread should be named our most important player rather than best player. For example, I think Shackell is a better player than Keogh but I believe that Keogh is much more important to the team

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Seen a few little hints of people not really rating Hughes throughout the forum

I really can't understand that attitude...best player we've had in years in my opinion.  Yet to hit top form this season of course....but that's true of nearly everyone in the squad.  Still hoping to see Hughes and Thorne both fit, they'll play to each others strengths and Derby will benefit.

Archived