Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

I'm not bents biggest fan but he did alright today. I was that happy after the game I told the missus I'd take her out for a meal. I feel a bit daft now because we've only won Sheffield Wednesday it's not like we've won the European Cup which we would normally have to win before I'd take her out. I hope she's got plenty of money.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing that did concern me was our slackness at corners.

how many short corners did they have a two on one for and then subsequently worked the ball into our box with relative ease ? They didn't even try to disguise it.

on another day we get punished so that needs looking at

Weds are a very good side going forward but look lightweight defensively and we proved that today. A good morale boosting win for us today, could have been by another goal. We still have more to come in my opinion which should point to a good second half of the season - I hope. ⚽️⚽️

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm a bit confused. I listened to Radio Derby and Ian Dowie on Sky and saw the stats for the game.

It appears Wednesday dominated long periods and caught us out on a number of occasions, with us being saved only by some poor finishing, some desperate defending and some great goalkeeping.

Yet everyone who was at the game says all three midfield players did well. 

Can anyone elaborate on how Wednesday dominated possession?

Is it just the luxury of playing three non-defensive forwards? 

I didn't agree with mcclaren that Butterfield was excellent. He is lightweight and rarely winning balls and he gets in two minds with the ball when we are driving forward swiftly. In the second half (not the last 5 mins) he kept turning the ball over and not fighting for it back as did Ince too.  Both Ince and butters were far better in the first half. Hanson performed well and Johnson was very good. 

but Wednesday via Bannan passed quicker and had better ball control and were in a different class on the ball. Plus they got so many players forward it was very hard on our defenders to track all the runners as they were never static. (Their shooting was terrible). We rode luck yes but showed that we have a rock star defence.

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I'm not bents biggest fan but he did alright today. I was that happy after the game I told the missus I'd take her out for a meal. I feel a bit daft now because we've only won Sheffield Wednesday it's not like we've won the European Cup which we would normally have to win before I'd take her out. I hope she's got plenty of money.

The dude can leap like a salmon 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

one thing that did concern me was our slackness at corners.

how many short corners did they have a two on one for and then subsequently worked the ball into our box with relative ease ? They didn't even try to disguise it.

on another day we get punished so that needs looking at

Yes good point and I thought we were slow out the blocks in the second half. If we hadn't got that second I think I'd be changing my pants before going out tonight . 

Good chances at both ends it looks like we're getting a bit of our attacking threat back.

1 hour ago, jono said:

What an enjoyable game of football .. I'd almost forgotten what it's like 

wendies played some fast open football but for once we got our share of luck in the goalmouth scrambles. I am going to quietly ignore the 20 mins in the second half where we let them run things by sitting too deep. I want to concentrate on our lads

Carson .. Some brilliant saves and great handling. 

Christie .. The ultimate form player .. Dire the other week but a rocket fuelled diamond today. One great defensive header in the middle of our half in a one on one and he got stuck in and won it decicisively. Then attacking effectively down the flank. Great performance capped with a goal 

Pearce and Keogh. Better and better 

Olson .. Poor game .. Floating in no mans land never sure whether to engage or hang back

Hanson .. Made some errors in tight situations but I felt a whole lot more secure with him as an anchor and he brought great energy and strength to the set up. Also made some cracking passes long and short. He is a DM with a forward thinking attitude. 

Johnson .. Some of the passing was like when he first came. Clever flicks and unconventional balls in to dangerous areas, along with loads of conviction

Butterfield .. At times being a genuine midfield general and then having moments of hesitation. Has the ability but needs to concentrate for the whole game

Ince .. Great first half, then his touch let him down a couple of times when in great positions and he seemed to lose his buzz

Russelll .. Quiet first half but gave everything as always. Johnny is the greatest ball player but he unsettles opponents and creates openings

Bent .. Worked very very hard and lead the line well. I loved the way in a couple of fast breaks he had the ball in the middle and played it fast to a wide man. Vision and understanding of the game never leaves you even if the killer pace isn't there.

subs .. Anya didn't have much to do. I was in a great position to see Vydras header .. Boy was that a good save .. Vydra did everything right, pity it would have capped a great day. 

I don't need to write a match report, just to agree with all of this. 

Regarding Hanson, he was far from perfect but he showed real attacking intent with his through balls right from the off and I thought this set the tone for the whole afternoon.

We had 19 shots today, according to the BBC, despite our lower possession percentage. This was the most improved aspect of our play - how well we used the ball when we had it. 

Brilliant atmosphere too. What an improvement.  

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I didn't agree with mcclaren that Butterfield was excellent. He is lightweight and rarely winning balls and he gets in two minds with the ball when we are driving forward swiftly. In the second half (not the last 5 mins) he kept turning the ball over and not fighting for it back as did Ince too.  Both Ince and butters were far better in the first half. Hanson performed well and Johnson was very good. 

but Wednesday via Bannan passed quicker and had better ball control and were in a different class on the ball. Plus they got so many players forward it was very hard on our defenders to track all the runners as they were never static. (Their shooting was terrible). We rode luck yes but showed that we have a rock star defence.

I agree with Mac. I thought Butters was excellent. As was every player in a Rams shirt. They gave it 100%, their all. They won. 

Says all you need to know about this forum that even when we've won, and won well, people are still having a go, still think they're the next Brian Clough. 

Enjoy the win and three points. Stop expecting too much from Championship players. If they didn't make errors or hesitate or whatever it is that gets you angry, they wouldn't be here. 

All week I've read how crap we are. How crap Christie is. Butterfield. Ince. Bent. Olsson. It's endless. 

We can't beat Wednesday, they said. No Hughes, no Bryson, no chance. Everybody predicting defeat. Yet we've won. With the crap players apparently, without the golden boys. Just like we used to last season when we were top of the league. 

Im getting drunk. You Rams. 

I think something that has been missed is that this spell of four games has been against opposition all currently in the top 10. To get 7 points out of it is really good going to be honest.

Now we look to have a bit of an easier spell with 4 out of 5 our next games against bottom 6 opposition. Hopefully we can use it to really kick on now :).

1 minute ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I agree with Mac. I thought Butters was excellent. As was every player in a Rams shirt. They gave it 100%, their all. They won. 

Says all you need to know about this forum that even when we've won, and won well, people are still having a go, still think they're the next Brian Clough. 

Enjoy the win and three points. Stop expecting too much from Championship players. If they didn't make errors or hesitate or whatever it is that gets you angry, they wouldn't be here. 

All week I've read how crap we are. How crap Christie is. Butterfield. Ince. Bent. Olsson. It's endless. 

We can't beat Wednesday, they said. No Hughes, no Bryson, no chance. Everybody predicting defeat. Yet we've won. With the crap players apparently, without the golden boys. Just like we used to last season when we were top of the league. 

Im getting drunk. You Rams. 

Enjoy today and save the analysis for later, if you want to pull apart a decent performance and win do it later, but for now let's enjoy the win.

Whatever Mac gave Ince and Christie before the game I want some. I've given them plenty of stick over the past few weeks, but it's a treat to watch them when they're on form.

Good workmanlike performance from Bent. Bring it down and play it where possible and harry the defender into conceding a throw when it isn't.

Excellent glovework and lovely strong wrists from both Carson and Keogh.

Just a couple of things that annoyed me. Awful awareness and communication on several occasions when Wednesday took a short corner. We have three centre mids, but still refused to close down Bannan, even after he proved time and time again that he possesses a range of passing to hurt us.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

Whatever Mac gave Ince and Christie before the game I want some. I've given them plenty of stick over the past few weeks, but it's a treat to watch them when they're on form.

Good workmanlike performance from Bent. Bring it down and play it where possible and harry the defender into conceding a throw when it isn't.

Excellent glovework and lovely strong wrists from both Carson and Keogh.

Just a couple of things that annoyed me. Awful awareness and communication on several occasions when Wednesday took a short corner. We have three centre mids, but still refused to close down Bannan, even after he proved time and time again that he possesses a range of passing to hurt us.

Christie was like a man possessed , it was between him and Carson for MOTM. Not sure why christie was on the far post for a right sided corner, but it worked.

i don't know why bannan was left unmarked so often, but he always passed it to someone else so maybe there's some logic in that. 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

You sound like the person who was sat one row in fronte and one seat too the left, one row from the back in the North stand.

He hates Keogh and gives him no credit for anything either.

Not me Eddie was in the North Lower and I actually thought Keogh had a decent game today .I admit I am not his biggest fan but will give praise if it is earnt and yes he was talking to Hanson but I expect that from every player of more experience.

I do have reservations of him being Captain and think of the players on the pitch today Pearce carries it easier on his shoulders.But that is a personal opinion which makes the game has popular as it because nobody sees the game the same way.

Unfortunately for Keogh I had the pleasure of watching Roy Mac,Toddy,Mark Wright and the like over the years so my standards are high .

Well earned hard fought win today. 100% effort from everyone. Lots of character and steel shown, we don't usually win games like that so it has to be positive.

Christie outstanding, followed closely by Pearce Keogh Carson and Bent. Ince was on fire in the first half particularly, his best performance for a while.

Lots of positives, let's enjoy the win but today also showed we have work to do. We were outplayed for long periods and were dominated by Wednesday in midfield. Bannan was a class above.

I completely disagree with McClaren on Butterfield, he did ok today nothing more, as did Hanson and Johnson. They were far too deep at times, rarely got into the box main reason being they're just not mobile enough. But credit to them they helped out defensively.

I would usually say play the same team next game but Hughes and Bryson have to come back in the team if available to give us better balance, with Johnson returning to the holding role.

Well done to Derby today even if we did get lucky for a change!!

Archived