Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

I just can't agree with those who say Bannan was a class above.

It was obviously tactical to let him pick it up from the back unchallenged, but mark up all his forward options.

He had all the time in the world to pick his passes, and did nothing with it.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Agree. I thought he had a fine game. 

He was poor first half - loose passing and being caught in possession more than once almost led to a couple of goals. But it says a lot for the lads' character that he was able to put the first 45 minutes behind him and give a much stronger second half performance.

3 hours ago, Beagle said:

Cannot agree with Alpha thought Hanson had a good game won his tackles and was positive with the ball.....not every pass is going to reach it's target.

Keogh should be talking and encouraging instead of his usual blaming everyone for his own faults the other more experienced passing on advice too.

Keogh should look to his left to see how a proper captain should behave because Pearce was forever talking and calling players positionally and dishing out a rollicking when needed.

All in all a good result and performance Referee spot on with the pen decision but can see why they were unhappy with it, but when they show it tonight will see he got it right.

No matter how he plays, the criticisms keep coming Keoghs' way. I don't care a toss whether he shouts or not - your captain should lead by example and ours does - week in, week out. For whatever reason he's become an easy target for keyboard buffoons which probably says more about them than it does about Keogh.

Really chuffed with the win but IMO we got a few lucky breaks and overall I thought we were highly fortunate to come away with 3 points. Not being downbeat, just commenting on how I saw the game. The players commitment cannot be questioned much today but I do think that the last few weeks have opened my eyes somewhat.

There are some extremely useful players in this league, Leeds / Brentford and Wednesday have shown us in the last three home games that we aren't entitled to anything and so in that respect, two wins and a draw with clean sheets from these are pleasing despite us not delivering the champagne football we'd all like to see.

I think we can become a side who can grind out results as I doubt we have the personnel nor the mindset to dominate large chunks of games, at home especially. Today at times we were pinned back and you could be forgiven for thinking the Owls were the home team. McClaren is having to work out what works best and in the meantime we are grinding out results so all credit to him and the players.

I have thought in recent weeks that we have needed a big hold up man alongside the more nippy Anya and Vydra so I was shocked to find Bent up top with none of the latter two selected. It was clear that we would then struggle to score goals from open play. I have no idea why McClaren did this but on the flipside there is no two better players to bring on late in Anya and Vydra if we are looking to turn the screw.

Wednesday had loads of possession and a series of chances, Carson was immense today and MOM. Their movement and player availability is something Mac needs to seriously look at with a view to improving ours. At times our movement in the middle is completely non existent. More static than a Van de Graaf.

Butterfield did ok today but he needs options around him. I wouldn't say he had a great game but I could see often there wasn't much on so I can understand his general ineffectiveness.

Bent did ok, worked as did Ince but I just felt we had no real goal threats on the field.

Overall I thought it was a solid performance but the better attacking endeavour up to us getting the second was with Wednesday. They move the ball really well and if anything were guilty of faffing and trying to walk the ball in at times. Good good side though. They'll be up there.

We defended well at times although if we'd have conceded early on ( pretty sure it should have been a penalty to Wednesday from my view in the NS) then not sure we'd have won.

We scored just at the right times. First one out of the blue and after pretty much total Wednesday domination after that and it being a matter of time before they equalised, we broke and Pearce popped up to knock the stuffing out of the Owls once and for all. Game won. I'd have liked us to go on and try and get the second in future when tails are up instead of always letting the opposition get a foothold on the game.

All we need is confidence and consistency. We've 7 points out of a possible 12 under Mac without playing anywhere near mesmerising football. I may be expecting too much. I'm saying some of these teams are actually bloody decent yet expecting us to dominate them, play like Barcelona and rack up chance after chance. It's far too much to expect although i do think we can play better and we will do when it comes. We can climb the table no doubt .

Pleased for everyone today. Really appreciated the Halloween kids stuff and we finally saw a goal in the NS as I predicted. ;) Thanks Alex Pearce!!

8 minutes ago, CBE said:

Sheff Wed the better team IMO.

They should have buried us in the first ten minutes.

A lucky win and not much of a game.

People getting exceited about very little.

3/10 must try harder.

I have to say I disagree with quite a lot of what has been said on here. Some rose tinted spectacle stuff.  We should have been 2 down in 10 minutes. They played us off the park for 70 minutes, though showed their own weaknesses too. It was an entertaining game but littered with more mistakes than a 1950s Dublin orphanage.

Carson 7 - Some great saves but he also made two howlers that presented easy chances that were fortunately missed.  

Christie 7 - Some great attacking work and scored but some appalling defending too. Twice switched off to leave someone unmarked in the box.

Olsson 5 - Poor. Weak defending and offered little going forward. Lucky to escape a yellow for a studs up challenge.

Keogh 7 - Got turned a couple of times but was under constant pressure with 2 decent forwards and midfield runners

Pearce 7.5 - similar performance to Keogh, did well under great pressure, passing safe but sound

Hanson 5 - Dreadful first half, average in the second. Gave away possession several times. Targeted by Wednesday.

Johnson 6 - Battled away, but rarely won a 50/50 and passing was average as usual.

Butterfield 7 - Had a lot of responsibility with Hughes missing, ran with the ball well, unlucky not to score. Got frustrated by the lack of movement in front of him

Ince 6.5 - Set off like an house on fire, but some of his usual faults came to the fore later. His performance may look very good on first glance, but Wednesday practically had no left back. Mick Brolly would have caused problems with that much space. Didn't show enough second half and wasted 2 good opportunities. 

Russell 6 - Looked unfit/listless first half. Would have had 2 great chances if he had attacked the box first half. Much more lively second half.

Bent. 6.5 Offered more work and movement in the first 30 minutes than he has since his loan season. Missed 2 chances and tired badly but much better.

The win shouldn't hide the massive issues we still have. Obviously we are missing Bryson, Hughes, Thorne and Forsyth and the former two should be available next week, but we still need to have a good January window.  

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Someone on the Sheffield Wednesday forum called us a 'poor side' and if they want to get top 6 they need to beat garbage sides like us. The bitterness , the bitterness. 

Change it from Sheffield Wednesday to Derby, and that would sound just like this forum can.

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I have to say I disagree with quite a lot of what has been said on here. Some rose tinted spectacle stuff.  We should have been 2 down in 10 minutes. They played us off the park for 70 minutes, though showed their own weaknesses too. It was an entertaining game but littered with more mistakes than a 1950s Dublin orphanage.

Carson 7 - Some great saves but he also made two howlers that presented easy chances that were fortunately missed.  

Christie 7 - Some great attacking work and scored but some appalling defending too. Twice switched off to leave someone unmarked in the box.

Olsson 5 - Poor. Weak defending and offered little going forward. Lucky to escape a yellow for a studs up challenge.

Keogh 7 - Got turned a couple of times but was under constant pressure with 2 decent forwards and midfield runners

Pearce 7.5 - similar performance to Keogh, did well under great pressure, passing safe but sound

Hanson 5 - Dreadful first half, average in the second. Gave away possession several times. Targeted by Wednesday.

Johnson 6 - Battled away, but rarely won a 50/50 and passing was average as usual.

Butterfield 7 - Had a lot of responsibility with Hughes missing, ran with the ball well, unlucky not to score. Got frustrated by the lack of movement in front of him

Ince 6.5 - Set off like an house on fire, but some of his usual faults came to the fore later. His performance may look very good on first glance, but Wednesday practically had no left back. Mick Brolly would have caused problems with that much space. Didn't show enough second half and wasted 2 good opportunities. 

Russell 6 - Looked unfit/listless first half. Would have had 2 great chances if he had attacked the box first half. Much more lively second half.

Bent. 6.5 Offered more work and movement in the first 30 minutes than he has since his loan season. Missed 2 chances and tired badly but much better.

The win shouldn't hide the massive issues we still have. Obviously we are missing Bryson, Hughes, Thorne and Forsyth and the former two should be available next week, but we still need to have a good January window.  

Really don't get the they played us off the park for 70 minutes remark at all. Just thought they were pretty that's all. Thought they were pretty woeful up front. 

We won the game because we did the basics. Played simple and positioned ourselves very well. We did that better than an overplaying Wednesday side..... that was the difference between the two today. 

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Someone on the Sheffield Wednesday forum called us a 'poor side' and if they want to get top 6 they need to beat garbage sides like us. The bitterness , the bitterness. 

I'm sure you could pick a lot of comments on here after a game showing bitterness towards the opposite. I looked at their forum and also saw comments saying that we're bound to pick up soon, saying that we're a good side, that we deserved the win etc. You'll get the same kind of share of comments on any forum after a side loses, it's what makes forums interesting. I'm sure the idiot who made the comment is no more of an idiot than some that we have in our little family.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I'm sure you could pick a lot of comments on here after a game showing bitterness towards the opposite. I looked at their forum and also saw comments saying that we're bound to pick up soon, saying that we're a good side, that we deserved the win etc. You'll get the same kind of share of comments on any forum after a side loses, it's what makes forums interesting. I'm sure the idiot who made the comment is no more of an idiot than some that we have in our little family.

*waves*

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Really don't get the they played us off the park for 70 minutes remark at all. Just thought they were pretty that's all. Thought they were pretty woeful up front. 

We won the game because we did the basics. Played simple and positioned ourselves very well. We did that better than an overplaying Wednesday side..... that was the difference between the two today. 

62% possession away from home, created several clear chances and had a massive territorial advantage. They missed their chances and wasted several good positions. They passed around us and constantly had runners. We got the breaks today. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

62% possession away from home, created several clear chances and had a massive territorial advantage. They missed their chances and wasted several good positions. They passed around us and constantly had runners. We got the breaks today for once.. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

62% possession away from home, created several clear chances and had a massive territorial advantage. They missed their chances and wasted several good positions. They passed around us and constantly had runners. We got the breaks today. 

Out of all that possession, and I know your a stat man....., how much of that possession was in their own half and around the centre circle? Also regarding possession.... Derby 5 Forest 0, check the possession there.....

They passed around us? Felt side to side for me..... bannan was practically playing at the back. 

We got lucky breaks? We had just as many chances  and could have wound up with 3/4 at least today. Really think you've over analysed this game and doing Derby a bit of disservice, thought we were better than them. 

Thought they were absolute rubbish in final third. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Out of all that possession, and I know your a stat man....., how much of that possession was in their own half and around the centre circle? 

They passed around us? Felt side to side for me..... bannan was practically playing at the back. 

We got lucky breaks? We had just as many chances today and. Like have wound up with 3/4 at least today. Really think you've over analysed this game today. 

Thought they were absolute rubbish in final third. 

I don't use stats much. Only around 13% of the time in fact.

Much of their possession was in our half. They had us pinned back and we tried to catch them on the break. More observation than analysis. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I don't use stats much. Only around 13% of the time in fact.

Much of their possession was in our half. They had us pinned back and we tried to catch them on the break. More observation than analysis. 

Sorry I've seen the game totally different to you today. 

11 minutes ago, sage said:

Sorry mafiabob but i agree with sage here. They dominated possession and yes I agree for long periods it looked pretty if nothing else but our players still had to expend lots of energy chasing shadows. I've no doubt that if we hadn't scored our second when we did then an equaliser was inevitable. Especially as we tired. The second goal, like the first came from nothing really and that finished them.

Archived