Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

you'd have got some good odds on a 2-0 win with Christie and Pearce scoring the goals! Great result against an in form side - hopefully a bit of a turning point for us - missed the game with a stinker of a cold but that's made me feel a load better!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Probably largely to do with us taking the lead fairly early in the game. Set our stall out to contain them afterwards I guess. I'd rather us do it by dominating possession, but with Hanson, Johnson, Ince, Russell and Bent in the starting eleven that did seem unlikely, especially once we went ahead.

No I understand the possession doesn't necessarily mean we were second best today, but under McClaren previously we would have more possession, play well & win. I guess that will come in time. I'm very happy with a 2-goal margin against a side in the play-off positions. Our best show of the season so I've heard.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Probably largely to do with us taking the lead fairly early in the game. Set our stall out to contain them afterwards I guess. I'd rather us do it by dominating possession, but with Hanson, Johnson, Ince, Russell and Bent in the starting eleven that did seem unlikely, especially once we went ahead.

What's a little weird though our pass completion was good at 80% which is higher than the average for the season. 

14 minutes ago, Ram79 said:

Yet another clean sheet how many is that? Keogh and Pearce individually are no world beaters but together they are looking solid.

I think they've conceded 6 in 9 games. With only 2 conceded in the last 6 games (since Pearson left).

Enjoyed the game. Christie, Carson and BJ for me brilliant. Ince great 1st half, 2nd half very below par. 

Wendies...... very slow I thought. Bannan practically Centre Half all game. Testament to the middle of park and Bent chasing down. Sure, they got through middle on occasion but they tried to walk it into the net. 

Good 3 points and a clean sheet in last 3 home games now? 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly Weimann just seems like a worse Vydra and you'd have the same problems with him up top. You'd also have problems playing them as a two because neither are interested in linking with the midfield and a defence could completely stop them by playing a deepish line.

Will have to disagree here. All Villa fans said Weimann would be great as a CF but crap out wide. Watford fans were adamant Vydra is the best drop off striker around. Play them there and see what happens. We've had enough square pegs in round holes this season. 

21 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I hope we keep same team next week. Hopefully Hughes doesn't get back in the team just on reputation. Butterfield, Johnson, Christie, Once and even Bent were all great today - would keep same team next game.

It's not on reputation. It's on he's our best player. As he also created the best chances at Huddersfield. 

Hanson was poor today and Hughes will he back in

25 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Apparently we had 38% possession, is that right? Not that it matters but just seems a tad a low.

Listening to Mac after the match I think this was intentional, we will have set up for Johnson and Hanson to contain wednesdays attacking threats, in particular forestieri- so we will have set out to counter attack, hence why we started bent to be more of a poacher rather than having vydra drop deep. Wasn't at the match so can't tell if this was the case, but it seems to me that could have been the game plan

19 minutes ago, Kernow said:

No I understand the possession doesn't necessarily mean we were second best today, but under McClaren previously we would have more possession, play well & win. I guess that will come in time. I'm very happy with a 2-goal margin against a side in the play-off positions. Our best show of the season so I've heard.

Just got back, indeed  it was our best game of the season. We moved the ball around slick and looked threatening with every attack. Every player played at least a 7/10 today. Hanson lost concentration a couple of times but his passing at times reminded me of Thorne's. For all the Bent haters out there he did brilliant out there. Not necessarily because he was involved all the time but his movement dragged their cbs all over the place and created space for the likes of Butterfield and Johnson. I think this type of role suits Bent a lot better than playing on the shoulder(and getting offside). You all know I'm more pessimistic than others but no complaints from me today. Thought Wednesday were fortunate not to lose by 3 or 4.

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

Will have to disagree here. All Villa fans said Weimann would be great as a CF but crap out wide. Watford fans were adamant Vydra is the best drop off striker around. Play them there and see what happens. We've had enough square pegs in round holes this season. 

I have some serious doubts about this. Whilst at Derby he's demonstrated very little to suggest he can link up play and he seems like he primarily want to get in behind. I think unfortunately we've let a contender for 'best drop off striker around' (at least in terms of the championship) go out on loan.

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If Wendies learn how to defend set pieces I'd be surprised if they don't go up. Moved the ball so well. 

Hmm funny how we all see the game in a different way. Thought Bannan was the best player out there by a mile but I think we dealt with the rest of them pretty well.

8 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If Wendies learn how to defend set pieces I'd be surprised if they don't go up. Moved the ball so well. 

Thought in final 3rd they were very ponderous myself. Bannan was taking ball off centre halves most of game. Forestieri was anonymous, didn't realise he was playing until half way through 2nd half. 

Archived