Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

11 minutes ago, sage said:

62% possession away from home, created several clear chances and had a massive territorial advantage. They missed their chances and wasted several good positions. They passed around us and constantly had runners. We got the breaks today. 

It is true, we had some luck but you know there are days when we don't so for me it was our day in that sense. they also had a lot of the ball and passed it far more quickly than we did for lengthy spells. They also run off the ball far more willingly than we do..... BUT .. We took our chances. We were organised, we stuck to the task. They shot their bolt after the first 20 in the second half and by the end we were in the ascendency. When that huge troll ( he must be a foot taller than Bannan ) dropped whoever from our side was bursting through the pressure was telling. Add in at least 3 cracking long shots that weren't far away. Yep lucky at times, maybe but good win and I am not apologising 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed that, end to end stuff. Sheff Wed probably the better team, but goals win games, and we got 2. Johnson, Christie and Ince were Fantastic today, Butterfield a passenger IMO. Just need that big Chris Martin type CF :ph34r: and we'd be back up challenging. All in all a good day, up the Rams :thumbsup:

I was impressed with the movement and physical capability of Sheff Wednesday, but to me most of their chances were created by poor defending (& goalkeeping) from Derby which at times seemed to be chaotic. Other times though, Derby were well organised and not particularly troubled.

I am enjoying the County football again now we are willing to pass the ball a few feet instead of the 'Pearson Way' of launch it long into the corners constantly.

We won. I'll take the three points any which way.

The Wendies are as deluded as we are/were......glad we took three points off them.

OOOOOOOOOOOh Foresierieeee......how good was he haha......eeeh awwww

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I just can't agree with those who say Bannan was a class above.

It was obviously tactical to let him pick it up from the back unchallenged, but mark up all his forward options.

He had all the time in the world to pick his passes, and did nothing with it.

Exactly. 

But the intelligentsia on here believe Johnson, Butterfield and Hanson weren't good, our midfield was beaten etc. Yet they've formed part of an XI who've won 2-0, not committing themselves, not going searching. It might just be that they were playing to a strategy.......... 

How many 2-0 wins we had this season? Against a quality side too.. 

Yep. Let's bring Bryson and Hughes back in.

Was nt there , listened on Rams player so my two pence worth is based on that and reports on here ( balancing act) ,,, they say you make your own luck , perhaps that's what we did today ? Sounds like we tried to play positive football in the main and it was a bit like the old days under Mac at times where you could make a case for both teams being lucky or unlucky to have won or lost ? Biggest plus is the early signs that perhaps the players are buying into Mac and that produces a little extra effort / performance in players that they are not intentionally holding back but naturally comes out when they feel right ,, long way to go but hopefully we are on the right track ,, even with the shinnanigans of macs departure last time there's a bit of a feel good factor around regarding him being able to recreate the brand of football and excitement of his last incarnation

9 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Sorry mafiabob but i agree with sage here. They dominated possession and yes I agree for long periods it looked pretty if nothing else but our players still had to expend lots of energy chasing shadows. I've no doubt that if we hadn't scored our second when we did then an equaliser was inevitable. Especially as we tired. The second goal, like the first came from nothing really and that finished them.

I was convicned too and equaliser was coming, but if and buts and all that, if we hadnt scored our first we might have lost, but we did, and we scored the second.

Crazy game of football, really good to watch, they could have won 4-0, it could have been 4-4, we could have won 4-0 we had really good chances after the second, and had it not been for two very cynical challenges may have had more. Best game at the iPro for ages.

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Exactly. 

But the intelligentsia on here believe Johnson, Butterfield and Hanson weren't good, our midfield was beaten etc. Yet they've formed part of an XI who've won 2-0, not committing themselves, not going searching. It might just be that they were playing to a strategy.......... 

How many 2-0 wins we had this season? Against a quality side too.. 

Yep. Let's bring Bryson and Hughes back in.

Id swap Bannan for Butterfield given the chance. He's not afraid to play a quick pass forward and keep the play flowing.

To me Jacob takes a few touches too many and invariably slows our play down and looks to play it backwards too often. He's a nice tidy player to watch though and is a good squad player for us. 

All about opinions I guess. 

Didn't Leicester win the Premier League with something 35% possession in a lot of games?  FWIW I thought Wednesday were the best team we've played this season at home and we had a bit of luck. Good. Its about time.

Even with this luck, we still created a lot of chances and could have had a few more. Very positive.

Highlight of the day though surely was the massive Coleman's Balls moment when Steve was being interviewed after the game.... "Tom Ince penetrating Johnny". I'm such a big kid....

12 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Didn't Leicester win the Premier League with something 35% possession in a lot of games?  FWIW I thought Wednesday were the best team we've played this season at home and we had a bit of luck. Good. Its about time.

Even with this luck, we still created a lot of chances and could have had a few more. Very positive.

Highlight of the day though surely was the massive Coleman's Balls moment when Steve was being interviewed after the game.... "Tom Ince penetrating Johnny". I'm such a big kid....

Ha...i must admit i allowed myself a but of a smile too when he said that. Just as i did when the guy who sits behind us, who wasnt happy with olssens performance suggesting steve should pull him off at half time, the old jokes and all that.

I don't think we were scintillating yesterday, but as a team still trying to stop the rot and slowly move up the table, you can't ask for more. We gave them some good stuff offensively to worry about and managed to hold out at the back, and won the game. We build on this now and look to improve for Wolves. Confidence is rising and performances will only get better.

Never understood why football fans have to be so binary. We always either dominated them or we deserved to lose badly according to you lot. There is a middle ground. It wasn't the scrappiest win I've ever seen, not by a long way, we gave them a lot to worry about and got two goals. But no, it wasn't amazingly secure either. We did have to ride our luck a bit.

Its still a good thing. We still won. We still can see improvements, a lot of them. Just enjoy it. 

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Sorry,  I hadn't realised I'd stepped into a 1930s thread.....

Were you waving your pipe exultantly in the air when you typed that post :lol:

A pipe is for pointing.

Archived