Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, mozza said:

had a dream in that extra hour we had, we scored two goals in one game and won , how weird is that!!??

Deja vu. Didn't you go to Cardiff?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me yesterday's game was one of the best games of football I've seen for a long time . Both teams contributed to this . I get the praise for Bannan he had a good game but he wouldn't suit our system and people wanting to swap him for Butterfield should be careful what they wish for . 

Regarding our performance the 3 that really stood out for me were Carson , Christie and Bent . 

Carson was immense all day , commanded the area , distribution was a lot better it always looked forced and uncomfortable under Pearson.  To finish it off some of his saves were top class and you could see why he once got picked for England with that quality . 

I've been of Christies biggest critics this season , but he really suprised me yesterday still got a bit to work on with his defensive positioning but a lot better going forward . McClaren made a comment after the game that Powell had been working with the full backs all week and you could really tell that . Long may it continue. 

Finally Bent , looked a different player yesterday , held the ball up well looked full of energy all that was missing was a goal I hope the form continues and I hope he gets a good run in the team and bangs in a fair few goals . 

I have a boring technical question about the game. One of our corners was taken short, stopped by the receiving player to allow a better angle for the cross, and flagged as offside once the corner taker touched it. Is it right to flag this as offside if the ball hasn't been played forwards?

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

I have a boring technical question about the game. One of our corners was taken short, stopped by the receiving player to allow a better angle for the cross, and flagged as offside once the corner taker touched it. Is it right to flag this as offside if the ball hasn't been played forwards?

I thought he did play it forward? It happened twice, once in the first half and in the second, although the one in the second the ref blew the whistle anyway so it didnt matter.

But you are right the ball has to be played forward for it to be offside, thats my understanding anyway.

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

That's what I thought too. If the ball doesn't go forward it can't be off side.

10 minutes ago, Anon said:

IMG_0162.PNG

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

I must be boring too then because I made exactly the same point at the match!

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

I thought he did play it forward? It happened twice, once in the first half and in the second, although the one in the second the ref blew the whistle anyway so it didnt matter.

But you are right the ball has to be played forward for it to be offside, thats my understanding anyway.

The ball doesn't have to go forward. The corner taker is effectively running back from an offside position onto a square pass. 

The way to avoid this is for the second player to take a second touch once the corner taker is onside. 

I thought it was a great game, a lot of people saying we let them have to many chances which yes they did but when the game is that open they are always going to. I think we probably had more chances yesterday than we've had all season put together! We looked more of the old Derby at times! 

Carson- 9 made some great saves that kept us in it! 

Christie- 9 been critical all season about him but today he was fabulous! 

Keogh- 8 made a great save, and a great block in the second half! 

Pearce- 9 wins everything seems a nice guy who's finally got the chance and took it with both hands! Long may it continue!

olsson- 7 did what had to do, left on his own to attack Russell just ran into the middle

hanson-7 did his job didn't see much of him but when you did all for the right things! 

Butterfield-7 lost the ball a few times but keeps hold of well and deserved a goal

johnson-8 happy to see him back doing well, strong player to have in the team!

russell- 5 don't rate him one bit, ran away from olsson when attacking offers very little loses the ball hardly runs at his man! Don't know how he still gets in the team! 

Bent- 8 can tell he sat on the bench watching Martin for a year his touch a lot better held it up well and went down easier! Best he's played for the Rams' 

Ince-9 looked like he wanted it more, he looked determined stronger he got stuck in, if he keeps doing it he will be our best player this season!

couldnt pick a MOTM, still think there's a lot to come from this side, players still need chances like weimann for example should personally be playing over Russell. I think Macca had his 1 on 1s with the players this week and it proved it the way they played! Great man management and also he did Powell spent a lot of the week with Christie! So how Christie played is a big sign of how good a coach Powell is! On to wolves

Really enjoyed yesterday's game, it was so good to see 100 percent commitment from every player yesterday, and you could see that players were enjoying themselves, which in turn got the the fans behind the team, great atmosphere, good football, great to see, and a special mention about Christee he was outstanding yesterday, and also Scott Carson was a rock yesterday looking at times unbeatable, hope this is things to come, and well done to Mr Pearce for his first Derby goal, he has been my player of the season so far, can not wait till the next game now, and I bet the players are thinking the same.

7 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

and well done to Mr Pearce for his first Derby goal, he has been my player of the season so far, can not wait till the next game now, and I bet the players are thinking the same.

Me too ... Gives it all, intelligent and values the fans as well. Moves the ball quicker than Shacks too. 

Rode our luck a bit yesterday obviously, but there's just something about this defence. Very good at closing down angles and blocking, think we've got more decent aerial defenders now with Johnson and Pearce playing regularly. I love Richard Keogh.

Think Carson deserves a lot of credit, made two match-winning saves at 1-0. Either of those go in, we'd probably have gone on to lose.

Nice to see we had an actual plan with our striker today, feel like the ST just hasn't been involved or given the correct service. We played the right sort of balls into Bent and he played well for it. Intelligent performance possession wise, couple of quick balls out to a winger were very Martinesque.

That goal for Christie will be big for us this season, we've seen him get a big boost in confidence from scoring with ROI before and he played much better for it. Loved his Maradonna roll that won us the corner we scored from.

Johnson's solid and confident. Getting love from the fans too, sure he's a very happy man at the moment.

Thought Olsson and to a lesser extent Russell were the only poor performances, want Max Lowe in next week.

Fairly happy with that though, big step back into being a confident football team that can score a goal in the first ******* half.

Carson played very well.

Christie what a performance and good goal too. 

Keogh and Pearce well played. Good goal for Pearce

Olsson played OK 

Hanson played OK

Butterfield played very well 

Johnson played excellent 

Russell played OK

Ince played good 

Bent played good

Tough call for MOTM but I'm sticking with Johnson.. 

On 10/28/2016 at 12:05, JW37 said:

Put a left winger/left back who doesn't want to play left back anymore at right back. Right oh

Cheers for your input 
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ikechi-anya/profil/spieler/107427

Luckily Christie had a great game anyways. Just because Anya played left back a couple of times last year for Watford doesn't mean his actual position is that.  

Archived