Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

What an enjoyable game of football .. I'd almost forgotten what it's like 

wendies played some fast open football but for once we got our share of luck in the goalmouth scrambles. I am going to quietly ignore the 20 mins in the second half where we let them run things by sitting too deep. I want to concentrate on our lads

Carson .. Some brilliant saves and great handling. 

Christie .. The ultimate form player .. Dire the other week but a rocket fuelled diamond today. One great defensive header in the middle of our half in a one on one and he got stuck in and won it decicisively. Then attacking effectively down the flank. Great performance capped with a goal 

Pearce and Keogh. Better and better 

Olson .. Poor game .. Floating in no mans land never sure whether to engage or hang back

Hanson .. Made some errors in tight situations but I felt a whole lot more secure with him as an anchor and he brought great energy and strength to the set up. Also made some cracking passes long and short. He is a DM with a forward thinking attitude. 

Johnson .. Some of the passing was like when he first came. Clever flicks and unconventional balls in to dangerous areas, along with loads of conviction

Butterfield .. At times being a genuine midfield general and then having moments of hesitation. Has the ability but needs to concentrate for the whole game

Ince .. Great first half, then his touch let him down a couple of times when in great positions and he seemed to lose his buzz

Russelll .. Quiet first half but gave everything as always. Johnny is the greatest ball player but he unsettles opponents and creates openings

Bent .. Worked very very hard and lead the line well. I loved the way in a couple of fast breaks he had the ball in the middle and played it fast to a wide man. Vision and understanding of the game never leaves you even if the killer pace isn't there.

subs .. Anya didn't have much to do. I was in a great position to see Vydras header .. Boy was that a good save .. Vydra did everything right, pity it would have capped a great day. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I really felt pretty comfortable against them all game to be honest.... yep they had there chances..... thought Derby stuck to the task well. Thought they were pretty that's all.

Yep they played like we did lad season at times. Maybe we were lucky first 10 minutes but deserved to win, they were pretty and we actually looked more likely to score at times.

5 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Yep they layer like we did lad season at times. Maybe we were lucky first 10 minutes but deserved to win, they were pretty and we actually looked more likely to score at times.

Agree with all that. I was saying that all game it felt like watching Derby

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No he wasn't.

Like I said, a few hospital passes and out of position too much. Thankfully Keogh and Johnson kept on him. 

People have torn our players to pieces for better performances than that just because we've lost games

yes yes yes!!

happy fricking days..... And the red dogs lost.

thought Carson and Cyrus were both very good today.

carson kept us in it, early on especially with a fantastic make yourself big save.

Christie was excellent, determined to the ball first stood out in my mind and drove forward with purpose - Fair play to him excellent performance.

thought Bradley and Hanson grafted and grafted well,they showed good shape and concentration when needed, Hanson played some delicious passes but at the same time lost his way a little at times but let's be fair to the lad that's his first start for a long time and he let no one down at all.

johnny worked tirelessly and was typical Johnny but his endeavour shone through.

bent .... I won't lie a small part of me died a little on the way to the game when I heard he was starting but he did well, he's not the long term answer but fair play to him, he even showed and laid it off on a few occasions second half which shocked the hell out of me 

ince... Just didn't happen for him .... Again my Mr all fart no poo but he put a shift in and really worked his nuts off to try and make something happen

massive positive for me today was the discipline without the ball, bar the horrible early wobbles we generally had good shape and looked like everyone was on the same wavelength and working for each other.

character and endevor got us that today, showed bags of it today which is a massive take home

Chilled doombar waiting in the fridge too

life doesn't get any better 

COYRs

Cannot agree with Alpha thought Hanson had a good game won his tackles and was positive with the ball.....not every pass is going to reach it's target.

Keogh should be talking and encouraging instead of his usual blaming everyone for his own faults the other more experienced passing on advice too.

Keogh should look to his left to see how a proper captain should behave because Pearce was forever talking and calling players positionally and dishing out a rollicking when needed.

All in all a good result and performance Referee spot on with the pen decision but can see why they were unhappy with it, but when they show it tonight will see he got it right.

I'm a bit confused. I listened to Radio Derby and Ian Dowie on Sky and saw the stats for the game.

It appears Wednesday dominated long periods and caught us out on a number of occasions, with us being saved only by some poor finishing, some desperate defending and some great goalkeeping.

Yet everyone who was at the game says all three midfield players did well. 

Can anyone elaborate on how Wednesday dominated possession?

Is it just the luxury of playing three non-defensive forwards? 

9 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Cannot agree with Alpha thought Hanson had a good game won his tackles and was positive with the ball.....not every pass is going to reach it's target.

Keogh should be talking and encouraging instead of his usual blaming everyone for his own faults the other more experienced passing on advice too.

Keogh should look to his left to see how a proper captain should behave because Pearce was forever talking and calling players positionally and dishing out a rollicking when needed.

All in all a good result and performance Referee spot on with the pen decision but can see why they were unhappy with it, but when they show it tonight will see he got it right.

I don't recall Hanson making many tackles at all? His pass completion I bet was lower than anyone but Bent (who obviously is the least supported and is always going to be low) 

And Keogh was a captain in my eyes. He was in Hanson's ear all game. As was Bradley Johnson. Because Hanson was losing yards on his man. 

I sound like I'm having a go now but I actually like Hanson. And I expect inexperience. 

My original point was in response to hoping the team stats the same and Hughes doesn't get back in on reputation. 

Hughes would get murdered if he'd played like Hanson today. Butterfield would. Bryson would. 

Butterfield got slated for the Brentford game and he was better than Hanson today. 

Hughes will get back in because he's class. And Johnson has done enough to keep that DM spot. 

But I'd have no problem with Mac allowing Hanson to develop in that role and him staying in the team. I just thought he was the weakest of the team today. 

Only mentioned it in the interest of fairness. As every time we lose/draw its because this guy is a failure and that guy isn't trying. And some games we've actually done alright in. 

I didn't mind that Bent was playing but he wouldn't be a first choice starter. Having said that he played well and on occasions we saw the real class he has in terms of touch, or the ability to play a first time ball. He doesn't have that decision making "issue" that we see in so many players. He has instincts and plays by them. He won't be right in every game but he deserved the ovation. 

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm a bit confused. I listened to Radio Derby and Ian Dowie on Sky and saw the stats for the game.

It appears Wednesday dominated long periods and caught us out on a number of occasions, with us being saved only by some poor finishing, some desperate defending and some great goalkeeping.

Dominated possession on the half way line..... about it 

58 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Think their movement was top notch, as was their fluidity. On another day we're 3 down at HT. Their finishing on the other hand!...

Seeing as their best three first-half chances came in a 15 second spell, I put it to you that an understanding of causality is not one of your strengths.

;)

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

With their system they always had Bannan to go back to and "reset". He'd use his range to pick out some good passes. And they'd just repeat until a chance came. Which was common enough to win the game but thanks to Carson and Co we managed to survive. But it wasn't like they cut us open constantly. 

But we were more direct and often chose to dribble past obstacles and force the issue a bit more. And it worked a lot.

Naturally being 1-0 up we didn't try to do anything to stop Bannan. And I'm not sure we could have anyway. Not without sacrificing our system to have an extra midfielder. 

But in the past we've had to go all the way back to defenders to reset... They had Bannan

Archived