Derby County vs Sheff Weds - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I don't recall Hanson making many tackles at all? His pass completion I bet was lower than anyone but Bent (who obviously is the least supported and is always going to be low) 

According to www.whoscored.com, Hanson made zero tackles and his pass completion was the 3rd lowest of any outfield starting player at 75.7% (Bent (53.9%) and Ince(66.7%) were worse on that front).

I personally don't think you can have both Johnson and Hanson in your team at once if it can be helped (which it couldn't today and was the best option) because neither keep the ball well enough. Hughes back in for Hanson for me.

54 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Not once by my reckoning and close to be man of the match, winning balls up front and as last man.

One piece of great skill first half taking ball down and cutting back, shame nobody broke from midfield quick enough.

Anyone there would have to admit great game today, deserved his standing ovation by many in the crowd.

p.s all those on twitter sledging his selection and a fair bit of negativity here, should admit for today at least, they were proved wrong.

It's not in their nature, I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm a bit confused. I listened to Radio Derby and Ian Dowie on Sky and saw the stats for the game.

It appears Wednesday dominated long periods and caught us out on a number of occasions, with us being saved only by some poor finishing, some desperate defending and some great goalkeeping.

Yet everyone who was at the game says all three midfield players did well. 

Can anyone elaborate on how Wednesday dominated possession?

Is it just the luxury of playing three non-defensive forwards? 

The wendies dominated possession in the second half, when they were losing. I think we had more goal scoring chances than Wednesday. It Was just that sort of game. Carson made some good saves, so did their keeper. I think our midfield was more effective in creating chances... Bannan was impressive , never made a misplaced pass, but rarely made a killer ball where it mattered either.

30 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Cannot agree with Alpha thought Hanson had a good game won his tackles and was positive with the ball.....not every pass is going to reach it's target.

Keogh should be talking and encouraging instead of his usual blaming everyone for his own faults the other more experienced passing on advice too.

Keogh should look to his left to see how a proper captain should behave because Pearce was forever talking and calling players positionally and dishing out a rollicking when needed.

All in all a good result and performance Referee spot on with the pen decision but can see why they were unhappy with it, but when they show it tonight will see he got it right.

You sound like the person who was sat one row in front of me and one seat to the left, one row from the back in the North stand.

He hates Keogh and gives him no credit for anything either.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Only gave away 3 free kicks all game..... we usually give 3 free kick on or near edge if box every game 

People were screaming at Derby to close down more but that would have been suicide. 

Sometimes the SS  was going nuts at the lack of pressing

But I think Derby soon sussed that we weren't in the formation to stop Wednesday from building attacks from Bannan. So rather than struggle closing down him and leaving gaps that we chose to just limit his options. At 1-0 up it seemed sensible. He didn't do much damage. 

In another formation we probably could have forced them back to their CB's to start again but in a different formation would we have been so good in our attacks? 

Like you Mafia, I thought Bannan was tidy but no more dangerous than either of their fullbacks. They had their moments because they're a good team.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

People were screaming at Derby to close down more but that would have been suicide. 

Sometimes the SS  was going nuts at the lack of pressing

But I think Derby soon sussed that we weren't in the formation to stop Wednesday from building attacks from Bannan. So rather than struggle closing down him and leaving gaps that we chose to just limit his options. At 1-0 up it seemed sensible. He didn't do much damage. 

In another formation we probably could have forced them back to their CB's to start again but in a different formation would we have been so good in our attacks? 

Like you Mafia, I thought Bannan was tidy but no more dangerous than either of their fullbacks. They had their moments because they're a good team.

Exactly this. Don't get me wrong I think during match you shout and encourage to close down..... but we played very sensibly today and did all the basics very well. That's what win us the game today. Back to basics 

What a lovely game.

Felt like meeting up with a long lost lover and realising there is still a spark there!

Players mostly great, atmosphere the best it's been in ages and a goal from a corner to boot.

Welcome back Stevie Mac!

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

It's not on reputation. It's on he's our best player. As he also created the best chances at Huddersfield. 

Hanson was poor today and Hughes will he back in

I don't agree that he is as good everyone makes him out to be and nor do I agree that Hanson was poor - first half at least he was decent. Hughes can set up some good chances I suppose, but Butterfield and Johnson did the same today just fine and can actually score themselves as well. I suppose I can see Hanson might be a weak link, but if Thorne were fit Hughes wouldn't even be in my first 11 - would still keep the same team for Wolves.

Strong first thirty mins, second half was all Wednesday until we scored. A good performance, could've easily been a loss on another day but the side played well generally. After our second we dominated, confidence is a funny thing. 

Delighted with the goal for Christie , he really needed that confidence boost. Cupping his ear for the celebration is a good indication that he's well aware of how the stands have been towards him the last few games. He had a great game after that. 

Johnson had a good game, Keogh had a strong second half after a poor first one got me, Wednesday did their best to miss every chance they had all game. 

One major issue for me was Hanson, his mistakes led to four fantastic chances for Wednesday, people slate Baird but I can't imagine him making those decisions today. 

Pleased for Bent too, he had a solid game, not a huge threat but I felt note confident of scoring with him upfront . As ever he had next to no service for most of the game, that will improve when Hughes returns as Butterfield is still holding onto the ball got fat too long and Ince is all over the place during matches. 

All in all a win and a decent performance. By no means dominant and in my eyes Wednesday threw that one away but it was much better than Brentford. And that's a start. 

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What a lovely game.

Felt like meeting up with a long lost lover and realising there is still a spark there!

Players mostly great, atmosphere the best it's been in ages and a goal from a corner to boot.

Welcome back Stevie Mac!

To add to that, have to give the Owls and their team a lot of credit for the "feelgood". Fact they were a bit blunt upfront helped but the way they played and the atmosphere their fans helped create, made it a real good encounter.

Always like home games against them, more so now they play more open. They must hate us with our record against them, more credit for turning up in numbers, regardless of distance.

Proper game today, better still we won:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

To add to that have to give the Owls and their team a lot of credit for the "feelgood". Fact they were a bit blunt upfront helped but the way they played and the atmosphere their fans helped create, made it a real good encounter.

Always like home games against them, more so now they play more open. They must hate us with our record against them, more credit for turning up in numbers, regardless of distance.

Proper game today, better still we won:thumbsup:

Spot on, both regarding their fans and they way they played, it's just such a good feeling to really enjoy being at a match again.

Archived