Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

10 hours ago, sage said:

I with people would stop fantasizing about living on other planets. We need to look after the one we have.

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Nothing to say we can't do both.

6 hours ago, sage said:

Why?

If we don't it is inevitable we will become extinct. I think for the sake of the benefit of the future humans who could spread through the universe, there is a moral imperative to colonize other worlds. 

19 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

After a lifetime of frustration, I do love that we seem to be living in the future (at last). I carry around instant access to the entirety of human knowledge in my pocket, cars can drive themselves, rockets can land, I hold a screen over text in another language and it automatically translates (and I could buy headphones that would automatically translate spoken language into English for me). We're seriously talking about colonies on the Moon and Mars, and we'll soon have flying cars - finally. 

What's not to like? 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we don't it is inevitable we will become extinct. I think for the sake of the benefit of the future humans who could spread through the universe, there is a moral imperative to colonize other worlds. 

We're not all living like that though are we?

It's Children In Need week this week and we'll all be educated on the level of 'need' there is in Africa (Planet Earth). If you watch a video of a mother trying to feed her baby a teaspoon of sugared water because she's so malnourished that she can't produce breast milk - and then learn that both mother and baby died shortly after - and then realise that literally tens of thousands of babies are dying weekly because of preventable causes... 

...you get what Im saying, surely we have a moral imperative in the here and now too?

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

It's Children In Need week this week and we'll all be educated on the level of 'need' there is in Africa (Planet Earth). If you watch a video of a mother trying to feed her baby a teaspoon of sugared water because she's so malnourished that she can't produce breast milk - and then learn that both mother and baby died shortly after - and then realise that literally tens of thousands of babies are dying weekly because of preventable causes... 

...you get what Im saying, surely we have a moral imperative in the here and now too?

We probably need another thread for this! Of course I would prefer a more equal world, but from a rational or even utilitarian perspective we shouldn't sacrifice the future joy of trillions upon trillions of future humans for millions in the here and now. The drive to colonize other planets quickly is very important.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We probably need another thread for this! Of course I would prefer a more equal world, but from a rational or even utilitarian perspective we shouldn't sacrifice the future joy of trillions upon trillions of future humans for millions in the here and now. The drive to colonize other planets quickly is very important.

Its a good discussion to have.

I think its easy to say we should not spend the money on exploring other worlds as there are so many problems here that need money spending on them.

As @Parsnip has said we see, and have done for such a long time, starvation and suffering in Africa, and its still happening.

We have been raising money for this all this time through live aid, children in need and so on (although im not convinced there isnt a lot of people getting rich of these things, but that's a different discussion).

But if we are going to adopt the approach that we shouldn't spend money on exploring because of this example, could we not also say we spend millions each year looking for cures or treating cancers in older people in the western world, could we not say money that's spent on treating and curing people in later stages of life should be diverted to providing a life for starving infants who havent had one?

I think we should be out there, when i was young in the 70's and 80's i was convinced we would have been to Mars by now. I still cant believe we went to the moon and have never been back.

I am really having doubts i will live to see a man on the moon again, never mind mars. The spacex and mars one stuff just wont happen, not in the timescales they are talking about.

At some point we will outgrow this planet, or just die, if we don't have other places to move to.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

. I still cant believe we went to the moon and have never been back.

I think they did go back a few times then realised it was a complete waste of time and money (and nobody cared anymore). I'd be really pissed off if they went back to the moon now without good reason.

I'm actually not getting at @Carl Sagan at all - i agree 100% that space exploration is vital. I'm just putting forward an argument that if the money is there - why can't it wait 5 years while we deal with more pressing issues - it's what a lot of people feel when the subject is raised.

Anyway i'm about to spend £5 on a costa and one of their bacon cobs despite knowing that that fiver would be better spent in a charity pot.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Its a good discussion to have.

I think its easy to say we should not spend the money on exploring other worlds as there are so many problems here that need money spending on them.

As @Parsnip has said we see, and have done for such a long time, starvation and suffering in Africa, and its still happening.

We have been raising money for this all this time through live aid, children in need and so on (although im not convinced there isnt a lot of people getting rich of these things, but that's a different discussion).

But if we are going to adopt the approach that we shouldn't spend money on exploring because of this example, could we not also say we spend millions each year looking for cures or treating cancers in older people in the western world, could we not say money that's spent on treating and curing people in later stages of life should be diverted to providing a life for starving infants who havent had one?

I think we should be out there, when i was young in the 70's and 80's i was convinced we would have been to Mars by now. I still cant believe we went to the moon and have never been back.

I am really having doubts i will live to see a man on the moon again, never mind mars. The spacex and mars one stuff just wont happen, not in the timescales they are talking about.

At some point we will outgrow this planet, or just die, if we don't have other places to move to.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

I think they did go back a few times then realised it was a complete waste of time and money (and nobody cared anymore). I'd be really pissed off if they went back to the moon now without good reason.

I'm actually not getting at @Carl Sagan at all - i agree 100% that space exploration is vital. I'm just putting forward an argument that if the money is there - why can't it wait 5 years while we deal with more pressing issues - it's what a lot of people feel when the subject is raised.

Anyway i'm about to spend £5 on a costa and one of their bacon cobs despite knowing that that fiver would be better spent in a charity pot.

To Paul I'd say SpaceX is entirely different from Mars One. They'll have the first humans on Mars by around 2030.

One thing that randomly cheers me up is that I'm mates with a brilliant Swedish philosopher called Nick Bostrom, and here's his take on the subject in a paper on "Astronomical Waste: The Opportunity Cost of Delayed Technological Development": https://nickbostrom.com/astronomical/waste.html

The people in Nick's team who I sometimes advise, also founded the Effective Altruism movement, but I could also murder a bacon cob and nice coffee for a fiver right now! :D

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

To Paul I'd say SpaceX is entirely different from Mars One. They'll have the first humans on Mars by around 2030.

One thing that randomly cheers me up is that I'm mates with a brilliant Swedish philosopher called Nick Bostrom, and here's his take on the subject in a paper on "Astronomical Waste: The Opportunity Cost of Delayed Technological Development": https://nickbostrom.com/astronomical/waste.html

The people in Nick's team who I sometimes advise, also founded the Effective Altruism movement, but I could also murder a bacon cob and nice coffee for a fiver right now! :D

Well i'd like to think you are right, but i just cant see it myself.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Having read some of the link, I think your earlier idea of a separate thread is necessary, if you want people to have a Scooby what it means.

By people, I mean me! 

Will these trillions of human lives be in the same form as we exist today, or will we develop into an entirely different life form as we harness increased  computing power, for instance?

Edited by reveldevil
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 15 November 2017 at 08:51, sage said:

I with people would stop fantasizing about living on other planets. We need to look after the one we have.

Regardless of human expansion beyond our globe, if we hadn't had the yearning and drive to explore beyond our sphere we would not have mobile communications, GPS and a thousand other inventions that save lives and enable us to see both the good and bad that we are doing to our planet. 

Adventure is to be encouraged. In life (and on the pitch ) 

yours sincerely

Outer spiral Rams 5 Vogon Forest  0 

• 2 weeks later...