Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

24 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Doesn’t the shower water dilute the beer?!

I was wondering that; wine in the bath sounds far more sensible. 

I hate the idea of ‘retail therapy’, but the postie’s just been with a load of summery stuff from eBay, so hopefully I won’t melt today. 

Sith Happens
On 4/20/2018 at 08:25, Wolfie said:

Thought the hot tub had died due to bad leak & no way of locating it. Budgeting for £5-6k replacement.

Handy mate Bob comes round. 2 hours later......

£8 Homebase consumables

1 fixed hot tub

£42 Bottle of gin for Bob

Both happy.

Always a result when something happens like this.

I have had one myself, got a 30 year old (next year) Gucci watch my Grandma bought me for my 18th Birthday.

Needed a new battery a while back, had it done but watch wouldn't work still, told watch is broken.

Recently took it to be repaired, if possible, and sent away but come back saying watch too old to repair and parts now obsolete :(

Thought it was destined to gather dust somewhere, but decided sod it, if its broke it wont hurt for me to take it apart and have a gander at it.

Had a look what the movement was called and did some research online and found a replacement movement, not the same make sadly but one that could be used to replace the sort that was in my watch.

Had it delivered, and using some Youtube videos eventually got my watch totally apart and put it back together with the new movement.

All working fine and has so far kept exact time, albeit only 1 day on now.

Total cost less than £20.00

Ok, so I know its not a gucci movement inside anymore and the value if i sold it reduced (although have kept old movement), but its the value to me to be able to wear it and for it to work. Grinning like a cheshire cat last night with it on my wrist.

On 10/04/2018 at 17:51, JoetheRam said:

When something Derby related comes up in an unexpected place. I.E today on pointless.

Unbelievably the contestants didn't know that the 1886 FA Cup final replay was held at the Racecourse Ground.

Hope they realised we weren't pointless - we had eleven!

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Always a result when something happens like this.

I have had one myself, got a 30 year old (next year) Gucci watch my Grandma bought me for my 18th Birthday.

Needed a new battery a while back, had it done but watch wouldn't work still, told watch is broken.

Recently took it to be repaired, if possible, and sent away but come back saying watch too old to repair and parts now obsolete :(

Thought it was destined to gather dust somewhere, but decided sod it, if its broke it wont hurt for me to take it apart and have a gander at it.

Had a look what the movement was called and did some research online and found a replacement movement, not the same make sadly but one that could be used to replace the sort that was in my watch.

Had it delivered, and using some Youtube videos eventually got my watch totally apart and put it back together with the new movement.

All working fine and has so far kept exact time, albeit only 1 day on now.

Total cost less than £20.00

Ok, so I know its not a gucci movement inside anymore and the value if i sold it reduced (although have kept old movement), but its the value to me to be able to wear it and for it to work. Grinning like a cheshire cat last night with it on my wrist.

Not too sure you should be worried about the 'non-Gucci' movement. I came across this in a discussion started by a guy who asked a question about a Myota movement in his Gucci.

"The question is really if the rest of the watch is real. A Miyota movement is as accurate and reliable as the cheesy ETAs they put in Gucci watches. I would be suspicious of a Gucci with a Miyota movement. Chances would be the rest of the watch is a fake. Some question a Gucci with an ETA movement replacement/upgrade that is just as good as the original that is often a discontinued movement. Sometimes a Gucci will lose it's stamp when cleaned. The Gucci mark on a Gucci, actually ETA, movement is just cheap paint on the movement somewhere which will often disolve during cleaning. The watch becomes questionable due to Gucci's cheap claim to the movement that they didn't make. To me the movement is the worst part of a Gucci watch. Gucci doesn't make the movement and stamps it with a cheap paint or ink and make the innocent buyer think Gucci made the movement or that it is fake because the cheap paint or ink Gucci stamps the movement with fades or disappears if you breath on it. Miyota is definitely not a stock Gucci movement but would be good enough for me if the rest of the watch is genuine an it fit properly. Guccis are for the most part not a true collectible but Ebay sure defends this bogus brand as if it were a Rolex or something. Good watch but not a real high quality mark like Zenith, Omega, etc. They are nice QUARTZ gizmos. IMHO"

Sith Happens
24 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Not too sure you should be worried about the 'non-Gucci' movement. I came across this in a discussion started by a guy who asked a question about a Myota movement in his Gucci.

"The question is really if the rest of the watch is real. A Miyota movement is as accurate and reliable as the cheesy ETAs they put in Gucci watches. I would be suspicious of a Gucci with a Miyota movement. Chances would be the rest of the watch is a fake. Some question a Gucci with an ETA movement replacement/upgrade that is just as good as the original that is often a discontinued movement. Sometimes a Gucci will lose it's stamp when cleaned. The Gucci mark on a Gucci, actually ETA, movement is just cheap paint on the movement somewhere which will often disolve during cleaning. The watch becomes questionable due to Gucci's cheap claim to the movement that they didn't make. To me the movement is the worst part of a Gucci watch. Gucci doesn't make the movement and stamps it with a cheap paint or ink and make the innocent buyer think Gucci made the movement or that it is fake because the cheap paint or ink Gucci stamps the movement with fades or disappears if you breath on it. Miyota is definitely not a stock Gucci movement but would be good enough for me if the rest of the watch is genuine an it fit properly. Guccis are for the most part not a true collectible but Ebay sure defends this bogus brand as if it were a Rolex or something. Good watch but not a real high quality mark like Zenith, Omega, etc. They are nice QUARTZ gizmos. IMHO"

Thanks for that.

I got the ETA number off my Gucci and did find you can still buy the same ETA model non gucci branded, which actually made me question how seriously they had looked into repairing my watch.

The movement I ended up buying is a Ronda movement as was a lot cheaper and it said it was a suitable replacement for that number.

I have to say when I had it all those years ago we were sold Gucci on the basis that they were supposed to be superb time pieces but its never been great at keeping time, always lost a little over a period of time.

Its a lovely looking (if a bit dated of course) watch, and is more a sentimental value to me.

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thanks for that.

I got the ETA number off my Gucci and did find you can still buy the same ETA model non gucci branded, which actually made me question how seriously they had looked into repairing my watch.

The movement I ended up buying is a Ronda movement as was a lot cheaper and it said it was a suitable replacement for that number.

I have to say when I had it all those years ago we were sold Gucci on the basis that they were supposed to be superb time pieces but its never been great at keeping time, always lost a little over a period of time.

Its a lovely looking (if a bit dated of course) watch, and is more a sentimental value to me.

THat's what matters, really. A lot of 'designer' name watches have Tmovements I believe. Good and accurate but mega-massed produced. Cisse's the guy for watch knowledge.

If you have a really good watch in need of repair (they don't do quartz movements), this site is fascinating.

http://watchguy.co.uk/