Derby County v Brentford

Bwash_Ram

Thought we played reasonably well.

I was annoyed to see Baird at left back. Mac should have started with Anya and Russell on the left and gone for it from the start. Fortune favours the brave! Mac's got a clean sheet with the fans and is in a no lose situation if he goes gung ho.

Butters is just a tad too pedestrian, not just his movement but the way he moves the ball, needs to think quicker, imo.

Overall though, I thought we played in the right manner, we had a go, dominated possession, had more shots, and created plenty of near chances, just poor delivery of the final pass or cross let us down.

Lot of respect for Brentford. They never settled for a draw and attacked at every opportunity. It was refreshing to see two teams going for the win.

We need to build on it, throw caution to the wind and play a high pressing game to see where it takes us. The fans will respond and raise the roof if we attack with pace and energy.

Stevie Mac's Barmy Army !!!!!!!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Agree with all this, but we needed more from Bryson and butterfield too.  Bad luck with injuries with three left backs injured , plus hughes going off and now Wilson out, presumably back to manure. Bent is past it too. We just don't look enough of a threat going forward. 

Agreed. Bryson was poor, Butterfield took the safe options too many times. When he did make a forward pass they were actually pretty good, Anya got in a couple of times. Vydra made a great run, all Butterfield had to do was slide him in and he did a Ronaldo chop and passed it back. Vydra rightfully fuming. 

Some people are easily pleased. The trouble is not a lack of confidence but a lack of quality . Pearce was the only outstanding player tonight ...Carson a capable keeper . Anya and Vydra need better service to show their pedigree . The rest are totally woeful. Cyrus Christie is the worst full back ive seen at derby since the 80 s third division side.

The night of wrong decisions. That's what I call tonight. Christie seems to make the wrong decision. I'm not sure if he intends to cross low and never get the ball past the first defender. Or when he runs forward someone needs to point out to him he needs to try to get round the player not run into him. I was a bit dissappointed with Bryson not his best game tonight.

On a bright note I thought Baird did ok. Peace was good and Butterfield seems to be getting into his stride. 

Ince made wrong decisions too as did the ref when he thought it was ok to play on while Brentford had an attacK on but as soon as we looked to get the ball out thought it necessary to stop play.

If a boxer can't punch then he can bounce around all he wants, he'll never make the grade. 

Until January we'll have no punch. Vydra doesn't suit playing upfront on his own with poor service into him anyway. The wasted run he made when Butterfield cut back for no reason was a prime example. 

Busy with passing ability but nothing clinical enough. Ince much better tonight, Baird was fine minus an attacking instinct and some misplaced passes. Pearce was excellent, Keogh was good too. 

Brentford looked like us, except sharper. They looked more likely to score and should've done so, wasted two very good chances second half. 

Positive signs but we're in for a long two and a half months. I dare say Blackman will be given a shot soon with Vydra playing on a wing if we struggle with goals. Can't say I'd be too disappointed to see it tried, we need a focal point right now. 

Think some harsh comments on the overall performance and especially Butterfield.

Carson 7 - Excellent save in first half. Not much to do. Distribution slow

Cyrus 3 - dithering, indecisive, blind and stupid performance

Keogh 8 - Covered Cyrus well and upped tempo foe 2nd half

Pearce 9 - Brilliant defending, good decision making and composure

Baird 6 - He can't play LB. He can't. Get LB off his position list. He's one footed

Johnson 7 - Same as Saturday. Well impressed

Butterfield 9 - Watch the game again. Put plenty of through balls. Plenty of running at defenders, plenty of defensive work. I don't understand any criticism. 

Hughes 6 - Meh

Ince - 7 The moments for him to shine came and went. But in between he produced a solid display. 

Anya 6 - Couple of good moments but mostly he just wants to cross the ball. Dunno why

Vydra 6 - Worked hard and that's about it. 

Bryson 5 - Some unusually daft passing. 

Russell 7 - Started opening Brentford up and bullied their fullback. Just that final ball

First half we had decent spells and created openings but the best football was by Brentford. Derby defended pretty comfortably. The fullbacks broke a lot of our play 

Second half was a much better tempo. But the final ball was just never good enough. The situations were good. The build up. But no matter which player it was the final ball was never good enough. 

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

The two sides of Butterfield

good v leeds

went sideways all game tonight.

No he didn't... 

Anyway a frustrating game but I'm beginning to see shoots of recovery. They looked very tidy without threatening, in no small part down to Pearce being brilliant yet again. How it took 13 months for him to get a regular run of games is looking like lunacy. Did we really need to buy shackell after acquiring a defender of Pearce's quality? 

Christie time and time again takes too long to make a decision and by that time everyone is marked. We created a few good openings, more than we would have done a fortnight ago... Vydras flick down to Bryson from the Johnson dink upfield was Martin-esque except Martin had Bryson in his prime running onto them and we don't have Bryson in his prime anymore. 

Johnson was even better tonight against better opposition. His passing (granted not always accurate) was nice to see as he had the right idea, play it pretty down one side then quickly switch it to the other side. He will continue to grow into that roll. 

Fans constantly giving Ince a hard time bemuses me, he's a player that can make things happen. He won't do it every game otherwise he'd be playing for Arsenal/Liverpool and England. We have to accept we are in the championship and with the territory our attackers will be inconsistent. 

I was SICK to death of fans having a pop at the players for controlling the ball around Brentford's area. Waiting for the killer pass/space to open up for a shot rather than just wasting the ball in attempt to get it forward. Keeping possession is frustrating to watch in your own half but when it's around the oppositions 18 yard box it builds pressure and we need to get behind them rather than sighing because instead of shooting into 2/3 oncoming defenders we attempted a one-two to get in behind. 

I enjoyed the second half massively yesterday. The first half was not good enough. 

We go again Saturday where they get to play without a communal sigh at every mis control, pass, dribble etc. 

When you look at it currently we have butterfield in the side where Hendrick used to play and there is a major difference in pace and drive plus physical presence but it is what it is but it does impact on team cohesion.

if Thorne ever returns properly then a more confident Johnson would probably be seen a lot further forward.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

When you look at it currently we have butterfield in the side where Hendrick used to play and there is a major difference in pace and drive plus physical presence but it is what it is but it does impact on team cohesion.

if Thorne ever returns properly then a more confident Johnson would probably be seen a lot further forward.

All in all let's get behind the team, I feel we will dip into the market come Jan for a midfielder and a striker 

its difficult as I like a lot of the players as individuals but can they fit into the team dynamic 

glad BJ has joined the party always thought he would 

still think we will be up there coyr

I still don't really see how, as a general game plan, we plan to score goals this season.

We have wide players in Anya and Russell but we don't have a big man to target with crosses.

We have quick forwards like Vydra and Weimann but lack the ability to pick a pass to set them free.

We don't have any hope of scoring from a set piece. A challenge in the box would be nice.

What happened to first time wall passes taking the opposition off-guard?

Has that been coached out of the side?

Such a shame that we don't get to see Martin and Vydra together.

10 hours ago, mozza said:

People knocking Kevin Phillips as a coach , i'd bet he could still come on for the last ten minutes of any of our previous games and stick the ball in the net more times than some of our 'striker' subs , even at his age..

Good player but unfortunately his skills are not transferable and being a good player doesn't mean he's a good coach.

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I still don't really see how, as a general game plan, we plan to score goals this season.

We have wide players in Anya and Russell but we don't have a big man to target with crosses.

We have quick forwards like Vydra and Weimann but lack the ability to pick a pass to set them free.

We don't have any hope of scoring from a set piece. A challenge in the box would be nice.

What happened to first time wall passes taking the opposition off-guard?

Has that been coached out of the side?

Such a shame that we don't get to see Martin and Vydra together.

We do have the ability to pick a pass in Hughes & Butterfield. But if a team come to the iPro and sit with 9 men behind the ball then it's going to make it difficult. 

When we go to Huddersfield you'll see it will be different as they won't want to sit back and let us have the ball, they will be high up the pitch leaving space in behind for the pacey strikers to exploit. That will be the game plan for sure.

1 hour ago, CBE said:

Brentford looked a good side. We looked a poor side, very poor.

So they were miles better than us?  I don't see that at all, I thought a draw was about right.  If they looked good and we were very poor it would suggest they probably battered us.  That's not what I saw nor is it what the stats suggest either.

Archived