Derby County v Brentford

Bwash_Ram

We've just played Leeds and Brentford, both of whom have been variously described on here as useful, possibly play-off material, and we've not clicked/ looked poor/ low in confidence etc etc, and yet we've won 1 , drawn 1, conceded 0.

I'd say that's encouraging.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Think some harsh comments on the overall performance and especially Butterfield.

Carson 7 - Excellent save in first half. Not much to do. Distribution slow

Cyrus 3 - dithering, indecisive, blind and stupid performance

Keogh 8 - Covered Cyrus well and upped tempo foe 2nd half

Pearce 9 - Brilliant defending, good decision making and composure

Baird 6 - He can't play LB. He can't. Get LB off his position list. He's one footed

Johnson 7 - Same as Saturday. Well impressed

Butterfield 9 - Watch the game again. Put plenty of through balls. Plenty of running at defenders, plenty of defensive work. I don't understand any criticism. 

Hughes 6 - Meh

Ince - 7 The moments for him to shine came and went. But in between he produced a solid display. 

Anya 6 - Couple of good moments but mostly he just wants to cross the ball. Dunno why

Vydra 6 - Worked hard and that's about it. 

Bryson 5 - Some unusually daft passing. 

Russell 7 - Started opening Brentford up and bullied their fullback. Just that final ball

First half we had decent spells and created openings but the best football was by Brentford. Derby defended pretty comfortably. The fullbacks broke a lot of our play 

Second half was a much better tempo. But the final ball was just never good enough. The situations were good. The build up. But no matter which player it was the final ball was never good enough. 

Not sure we were watching the same match. I thought Christie had a decent game, especially second half and I hardly noticed Butterfield was playing at all. Baird was getting some unnecessary stick from a guy behind me but people around me started taking the mickey as he was getting blamed by this fella for everything.

Carson made some great saves, CB's both solid, Bryson was a bit poor.

12 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Only thing I'd disagree with is ince's rating, 

he worked hard, as per he got himself into some lovely positions but to me he's all fart and no poo. 

For the amount of ball he gets in good attacking positions but for he just doesn't do enough in terms of end product, although clearly he's so not alone in that right now.

that said I nearly lost it tonight with some around us, 

they had a corner first half that Carson plucked out of the air, he then hoisted it down the right, to try and get a quick counter, ince at full cry tried to take it down over his shoulder ..... and didn't, people around me were linching him for it, 

FFS the last time I saw someone do that was Dennis berkamp against agentina and it was one of the goals of the tournement, the way people reacted was like he'd miscontrolled a 5 yard pass ... Idiots 

(I feel better now that's off my chest) 

On this incident, certainly where I stand (South Stand) the moaning was directed at Carson not Ince.  When Carson caught the ball there was the opportunity to find Ince straight away with a throw, but Carson hesitated (though there were some Brentford players in front of him), and by the time he released the ball Ince was further away meaning he had to kick making it impossible for Ince to control the ball coming over his shoulder.  The grumbles were certainly not aimed at Ince around me.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

We've just played Leeds and Brentford, both of whom have been variously described on here as useful, possibly play-off material, and we've not clicked/ looked poor/ low in confidence etc etc, and yet we've won 1 , drawn 1, conceded 0.

I'd say that's encouraging.

Having to even contemplate a 0-0 home draw against a team such as  Brentford as being encouraging isn't a great feeling, but I guess that's where we are at present.

14 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Only thing I'd disagree with is ince's rating, 

he worked hard, as per he got himself into some lovely positions but to me he's all fart and no poo. 

I agree, looks to me like he's busting a gut to produce a solid performance but there's no follow through. Wish some of the windbags on here would stop kicking up such a stink.

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We need to build on it, throw caution to the wind and play a high pressing game to see where it takes us. The fans will respond and raise the roof if we attack with pace and energy.

we shouldn't - fewer goals conceded over the course of the season will be more valuable to us 

I've been a backer of Keogh for a long time and still think he is a solid defender, but what a poor captain he is.

Noticed 3 separate occasions where he was arguing with team mates (Ince, Anya and Johnson). It's no wonder he is prone to lapses in concentration.

Much prefer a captain who looks to encourage his team mates.

19 hours ago, Steve How Hard!!! said:

No, not his brother or any relative of his either. Just a massive fan too and will remain so whilst he is still contracted to Derby County Football Club.

Martin, Gale, Murphy, Rickie lambert or Charlie George ? Lambert would have been a good fit for us 

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've been a backer of Keogh for a long time and still think he is a solid defender, but what a poor captain he is.

Noticed 3 separate occasions where he was arguing with team mates (Ince, Anya and Johnson). It's no wonder he is prone to lapses in concentration.

Much prefer a captain who looks to encourage his team mates.

I don't know what the dressing room chemistry is .. And which of us honestly does. Could be they laugh about the arguing afterwards and Riichard is highly thought of, so no judgement for me on that and I am a Keogh fan

having said all that ... From the outside, Pearce looks and behaves with such full on leadership that he'd be my captain all day long .... But, as per the opening para ....we don't know what it's like behind closed doors 

I felt the result was fair last night. It wasn't the swashbuckling display I'd hoped for but then I ought to know that it will take longer than a week for Mac to implement many of his ideas. Brentford have kept six clean sheets so they're no mugs at the back, and I was more impresssed by them than I was any of the previous three opponents during this little unbeaten run post-Pearson. 

I don't do ratings really but felt Pearce, Johnson and Butterfield were our best performers on the night. Conversely, I felt Anya, Bryson and Christie struggled. 

It's another point. Unbeaten run continues and another clean sheet. Looking forward to Huddersfield now. I think we might be well-suited to counter their style of play. Shame about the ticket fiasco. But more reason for me to want us to come home with all three points. The division is very tight still, this season is very much alive. 

Oh, and thank you to the bloke sat behind me last night who informed me I'd dropped my wallet. Just in case he's reading. I like little things like that. You sometimes forget that most people are actually decent. Top man. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

I don't know what the dressing room chemistry is .. And which of us honestly does. Could be they laugh about the arguing afterwards and Riichard is highly thought of, so no judgement for me on that and I am a Keogh fan

having said all that ... From the outside, Pearce looks and behaves with such full on leadership that he'd be my captain all day long .... But, as per the opening para ....we don't know what it's like behind closed doors 

What about Peter Schmeichel...he used to go ape at defenders. Roy Kean would hardly be saying 'c'mon chaps, let's all pull together'. Some captains need that edge and it drives others on. I like Keogh but he's not Bobby Moore in more ways than one. 

21 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

What about Peter Schmeichel...he used to go ape at defenders. Roy Kean would hardly be saying 'c'mon chaps, let's all pull together'. Some captains need that edge and it drives others on. I like Keogh but he's not Bobby Moore in more ways than one. 

There's a difference. Schmeichel yelled at defenders when they made mistake. Keogh shouts to others when he makes it himself.

Archived