Derby County v Brentford

Bwash_Ram

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

There's a difference. Schmeichel yelled at defenders when they made mistake. Keogh shouts to others when he makes it himself.

The one that infuriated me was when Johnson got himself out of a pickle, gave it to Keogh in space, who just hoofed it up field and then rollocked Johnson for giving him the ball!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought i'd post my views on the game last night.

The most concerning aspect is the lack of clear goalscoring opportunities we have created in the last 3 home games. The less said about the Blackburn performance the better, the Leeds performance IMO was somewhere around what we need to be producing on a regular basis albeit hardly any chances created and the Brentford game was better than what we saw under Pearson but still not really good enough.

I could also add to this the Ipswich game.

Interestingly, the pattern in all 4 of these games was the same. They all arrived at the iPro organised, got men behind the ball and looked to hit on the break. A typical away tactic. We rarely looked like having the guile and cleverness to break any of these sides down. Even against Leeds we had so much possession but couldn't do much with it. Teams will continue to come to us and employ the same tactics and thus far we've only beaten Leeds and fortunately at that. The final third is a big problem now and I heard Steve mentioning that on the radio on the way home last night.

The other concern is that teams are gradually gaining confidence the longer the games go on as if they sense that we have given our all and there is no more to come. They then begin to push forward more, such as Carlisle in the cup, Leeds, Brentford etc. In mitigation last night we were pushing men forward and regularly left gaps at the back for them to break but by and large we are giving the opposition more than a sniff of a result because we don't really look that dangerous throughout.

I feel we will ourselves be the perfect away team with the likes of Vydra, Anya et al and just hitting teams on the break when there is plenty of space but as for a home side having to dictate the play and finish off visiting teams at the iPro then i'm afraid at the minute we could continue to be frustrated.

I'm not sure what the solution is although I do think we need some variation in play perhaps with a big man up there to bring others in? Our current striking options if you exclude Bent are all pretty similar types of player.

I was interested to watch Vydra last night as I commented after the Leeds game about his lack of movement which I thought I may have been a bit harsh on the lad. I kept an eye on him off the ball and I noticed that he did make a look to make a run on numerous occasions and the ball wasn't delivered to him or he wasn't seen but by the same token, there were many occasions he was static when others were looking for options up there to pass to so I guess neither him nor the other players are on the same wavelength at the minute. He looked frustrated but he did work hard and came short a few times to collect and then turn to take on a couple of Brentford players. Whatever the reason. He is getting no service.

I've been impressed with Ince and his workrate of late and he did ok. Anya I felt looked dangerous on the wing but we need to use him more and get more bodies in the box when he gets down the flanks. Christie I've covered on the thread of the same title and Pearce was probably my MOTM.

We need to create more, get more accurate at crosses and corners and when we take pot shots from long rage we need to keep them down otherwise it's a waste of time. I don't want much do I?!! ;)

Quite how we go about achieving the above I've no idea. I'm hoping Steve can work some magic.

A 0-0 against Brentford though is a fair result. There are some good sides in this league and they are one of them. On to the Wendies then and hopefully we'll see some goals. The NS have only seen the opposition score in our net so far this season and that needs to change. COYR!!

We did struggle to create clear cut chances, but we're getting in the right areas. I can think of several occasions off the top of my head that really should've resulted in a dangerous shooting opportunity for us. Ince and Christie both managed to cut in from the wing and get one on one in the box before deciding that the best course of action would be to run tamely into the opposition defender. Ince was played in on goal with a lovely chipped through ball that he managed to back heel 5 yards away from himself when he attempted to bring it under control. Anya was played through the Brentford offside trap before giving the ball a touch so heavy that I expect to see him up in court for assault and battery. We are getting more possession in more dangerous areas of the pitch and whilst it's still frustrating not to score I can at least now see where goals might actually come from with a bit more composure from certain individuals.

Archived