Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I considered bringing back up the old thread where many of us took pleasure in watching him fail at Newcastle but I haven't for two reasons. 

1) I'm embarrassed by what I said

2) Macs more likely to see it if he gets the job!

Not proud.

Now that's very honest, have a like. Wish more people around the Rams could be just as honest, might feel more excited.

Wanting to believe this is a good combination.

In 2014, we watched the Rams

Play great under Stevie Mac.

But the Geordie boys turned his head

And we gave the man the sack.

We panic bought then jerked our knees

To get managers we didn't need.

The style it changed, the boo boys booed 

And the players just went to seed.

But today I get the feeling

That the Rams are now on track

Cos Mel is about to tell us

Mac, the sacked man's back!!!

I'm currently on vacation in México and I can't describe how happy this has made me.  It's felt like there's been a chunk missing from life for the last few months.  Excited to support Derby again.

I would happily lose the play off final every year if we met the passion,  flair and unity of THAT season. 

34 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I am underwhelmed. In my experience "unfinished business" normally ends the same way as the previously finished business. 

That said, if he is announced then I will give him full support and pray to Jebus that I am fantastically wrong. 

Nigel Pearson going back to Leicester after the Hull debacle is the obvious exception

Although I suppose that did end up with more unfinished business* :huh:

*An italian man came and finished his business off for him

When McLaren was appointed first time around, my immediate response was not a positive one. For whatever reason, I chose to focus on how the media had presented him - that ridiculous 'Dutch' interview, his failure with England, the wally with the brolly and so on. With hindsight, the accepted notion that the media exist to inform is clearly no longer valid - every outlet has its biases, every outlet has its agendas and nothing sells papers better than bad news, save for lurid scandal. I should have evaluated the appointment on an equal basis, his failures versus his experience and successes. My mistake and his tenure proved me wrong in spades. 

I made another error, again proven over time. over the Newcastle saga. When he refused categorically to deny any interest in the Newcastle job, I was scathing in my appraisal of him. My only thought, an opinion hardened by our demise that season, was 'get shot', the sooner the better' and so it transpired. Three years on and I have to admit that the seasons he was here we played some of the best football I've seen from Derby in a very long time. Sure, ultimately we failed to secure promotion and the Newcastle thing still rankles but if I'm honest, my thinking was as much shaped by the way the media reported the story as by rational independent appraisal, more so in truth. Whilst the Newcastle soap opera was doubtless a distraction, the main cause of our weak finish to the season was the injuries to key playing personnel and I still maintain that we played QPR off the pitch that day, though the final score did not reflect as much!

So here we are again, in not dissimilar circumstances. He's coming back and he finds the club in mild disarray, under-performing and needing some clear vision in terms of our playing style. Equally, he will take over what is clearly a talented squad, probably more so than in his first tenure, so can he repeat the feats accomplished first time around? 

The answer, I suppose, is 'who knows'? My only strong convictions are that this time around I'll wait and see. I won't rubbish the man before a ball has been kicked 'in anger' and I'll form my own opinions instead of allowing shady journos to do that for me. One thing I do believe strongly is that us fans have a role to play if we are to turn things around. If the club has a responsibility to the fans. then surely the reverse is true and it was highly revealing that Mel made a point of spelling out that players need our support and more than that, that they can't function properly without it.

So what's my point? Nothing more really than a plea for patience. Let's not write off McLaren from the get-go, let's get behind the club, the owners, the management and most importantly, the players themselves. Let's give ourselves the chance to be successful again because that's the one true constant across all of us Derby supporters - we want success, we want to see our team playing well and winning more games than not, we want the buzz that these things bring us. After all, isn't that what football is all about?

Thanks for reading.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

When McLaren was appointed first time around, my immediate response was not a positive one. For whatever reason, I chose to focus on how the media had presented him - that ridiculous 'Dutch' interview, his failure with England, the wally with the brolly and so on. With hindsight, the accepted notion that the media exist to inform is clearly no longer valid - every outlet has its biases, every outlet has its agendas and nothing sells papers better than bad news, save for lurid scandal. I should have evaluated the appointment on an equal basis, his failures versus his experience and successes. My mistake and his tenure proved me wrong in spades. 

I made another error, again proven over time. over the Newcastle saga. When he refused categorically to deny any interest in the Newcastle job, I was scathing in my appraisal of him. My only thought, an opinion hardened by our demise that season, was 'get shot', the sooner the better' and so it transpired. Three years on and I have to admit that the seasons he was here we played some of the best football I've seen from Derby in a very long time. Sure, ultimately we failed to secure promotion and the Newcastle thing still rankles but if I'm honest, my thinking was as much shaped by the way the media reported the story as by rational independent appraisal, more so in truth. Whilst the Newcastle soap opera was doubtless a distraction, the main cause of our weak finish to the season was the injuries to key playing personnel and I still maintain that we played QPR off the pitch that day, though the final score did not reflect as much!

So here we are again, in not dissimilar circumstances. He's coming back and he finds the club in mild disarray, under-performing and needing some clear vision in terms of our playing style. Equally, he will take over what is clearly a talented squad, probably more so than in his first tenure, so can he repeat the feats accomplished first time around? 

The answer, I suppose, is 'who knows'? My only strong convictions are that this time around I'll wait and see. I won't rubbish the man before a ball has been kicked 'in anger' and I'll form my own opinions instead of allowing shady journos to do that for me. One thing I do believe strongly is that us fans have a role to play if we are to turn things around. If the club has a responsibility to the fans. then surely the reverse is true and it was highly revealing that Mel made a point of spelling out that players need our support and more than that, that they can't function properly without it.

So what's my point? Nothing more really than a plea for patience. Let's not write off McLaren from the get-go, let's get behind the club, the owners, the management and most importantly, the players themselves. Let's give ourselves the chance to be successful again because that's the one true constant across all of us Derby supporters - we want success, we want to see our team playing well and winning more games than not, we want the buzz that these things bring us. After all, isn't that what football is all about?

Thanks for reading.

Well said. 

However a plea for patience may not happen as we have high expectations of this man.

We have seen what he can produce and now we are going to want more of the same. 

Archived