Return of the Mac

toddy

22 minutes ago, TETRA said:

I just can't believe what I'm hearing over the last few hours, Mac's coming back ?. I thought our Chairman was prone to making bad decision making but this really does take the biscuit. It can only all end in tears sadly & not tears of joy either.

Well, if @TETRA is against it, I'm all in favour

;)

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the bbc news story

McClaren U-turn a 'shock'

Analysis: BBC Radio Derby's Owen Bradley

"Shocked is an understatement considering the nature of Steve McClaren's departure.

"Though he was ultimately sacked, McClaren damaged lots of relationships at the club by never bringing to an end the links with Newcastle. In the eyes of some, that derailed Derby's promotion campaign.

"Mel Morris is a big fan of McClaren's quality as a coach, but was part of the group that sacked him. If that relationship has been repaired then it will happen."

Why keep asking the question if he rubbished it the first time?  He said he wanted to stay, when sacked he basically went 'sod it I may as well go' queue Derby fans reaction, 'there you go, disloyal'

Hope Mel apologised, Steve accepted, lets have another go...

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

...unless you really enjoyed it and want to try again. Is the full quote I think you'll find. :)

I feel like most of the complainers are the people who were enjoying our time under Clement and Pearson... I certainly started feeling less stressed about games under them... Mainly because I gave up ALL hope of seeing any decent football played...

Give me heart-attacks every time the opposition come forward, heart-breaks at Wembley and whole-hearted attacking any day of the week thanks fellas...

I guess Mel's comments yesterday about Mac were a bit of a give away.

Not sure what to think really....part of me thinks (and hopes) he'll get the team playing the old way....and then another part of me thinks it's all bound to turn to ****.

However, he's better than any other candidate and as somebody said before...he has the contacts to bring in the players,

Onwards and updwards. :)

In my opinion Steve Mac never showed Derby any disloyalty he only said that 'you can never say never', which is true!

Maybe he did take his eye off the ball and got distracted causing a severe drop in form, but Derby was wrong to sack him.

Quietly optimistic...

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Very rare that going back ever works out to even match the first time round,

-Mourinho

-Kendall

-Pearson

-Redknapp

-Hitzfeld

-Capello

-Pulis

-Graham Taylor

-Steve Bruce (Wigan)

-Steve Coppell

-EDDIE HOWE!

-Darren Ferguson

-Nigel Clough

-

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

But we'll be a joke who can play football! This is the sort of egotistical rubbish that got us in the sh it before - who are we that anyone cares enough to laugh?!

Will we see about good football. No one can be assured of that, we may get the mclaren that went to forest or even england.

I dont mind Mclaren coming back In think it was unfair he got sacked. However It makes a mockery of Sam Rushes statement that MM didnt trust SM with the investment that they wanted to put into the club?

But now they do??

But maybe this is all egotistical rubbish too

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

from the bbc news story

McClaren U-turn a 'shock'

Analysis: BBC Radio Derby's Owen Bradley

"Shocked is an understatement considering the nature of Steve McClaren's departure.

"Though he was ultimately sacked, McClaren damaged lots of relationships at the club by never bringing to an end the links with Newcastle. In the eyes of some, that derailed Derby's promotion campaign.

"Mel Morris is a big fan of McClaren's quality as a coach, but was part of the group that sacked him. If that relationship has been repaired then it will happen."

Why keep asking the question if he rubbished it the first time?  He said he wanted to stay, when sacked he basically went 'sod it I may as well go' queue Derby fans reaction, 'there you go, disloyal'

Hope Mel apologised, Steve accepted, lets have another go...

Yeh this whole 'disloyal to Derby' thing was a nonsense created by Owen Bradley to try and make a name for himself... The dude's an under-talented local-radio wannabe-journo... He made a big deal every week of McClaren's links to Newcastle and Smacca fobbing him off (because Smacca probably didn't take the little turd seriously) and then it grew into a national monster...

So needless to say Bradley wants to get his oar in now again... "Hey guys, remember I was the one who started this! Guys? Is anyone paying attention to me?" No Owen... Accept your place as a local radio waste of airtime...

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

English manager winning in a high-profile foreign league with a club not considered as contender? Not-inspiring? Only if you're a bit daft like!

Lack of loyalty? Where?

He won the League with Twente over half a decade ago now, and has since been sacked by three clubs, and resigned from a further two, including Twente. 

You really shouldn't need to have his lack of loyalty explained, particularly when you're noting his last title. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

-Mourinho

-Kendall

-Pearson

-Redknapp

-Hitzfeld

-Capello

-Pulis

-Graham Taylor

-Steve Bruce (Wigan)

-Steve Coppell

-EDDIE HOWE!

-Darren Ferguson

-Nigel Clough

-

Just cos you have EXAMPLES doesn't mean you're right... Other people have sweeping generalisations here mate...

On 3 October 2016 at 13:56, Leicester Ram said:

Can't say I haven't mulled this over in my head more than a few times in the past year or so, and since he failed miserably at Newcastle (who wouldn't) I genuinely would consider re-hiring him.

I'll start off by saying I think the Newcastle stuff gets blown way out of proportion by some people. How much of the trouble caused by that situation was McClaren's doing and not people who's ego got hurt that a manager of a championship team would consider an offer from one of the biggest teams in England? We'd been massively successful, that's a side effect of success that you have to deal with.

I also think if everything hadn't gone tits up with injuries and we'd been storming our way to the league title that no one would have given a tupney **** that he hadn't ruled out going to Newcastle, but things were absolutely atrocious and people scapegoated the Newcastle unrest.

But, even if you do think the Newcastle stuff was a big deal, you can almost guarantee it won't be happening again.

McClaren's fallen off the face of the map, I doubt any team in the championship is realistically going to be giving him a job and definitely no one the size of us. The way I see it, we could basically have him by the balls. He's bloody lucky to get another chance with us, he's not going to be getting any other job offers anytime soon and he's definitely learnt the hard way that the grass isn't always greener.

It goes without saying that the style of football is great and it's easily the best football I've ever seen Derby play. The flaw of that period was always that our scouting wasn't really up to scratch and we really weren't making the right moves in the transfer market. We got really unlucky with injuries, but we never had sufficient back-up at striker (we really needed another hold-up ST) and some of our big signings like Albentosa really didn't pan out.

I'm a big advocate of Martin, so you can call me bias but I find it hard not to be bias about the best period of football Derby have had in my personal memory.

We know Mel reads the forum so when we're promoted this year or next, everyone can thank me.

1 hour ago, Alex W said:

Do I get to claim 'Podcast Know-it-all' rights for calling this one last week?

If this is a head coach role, with someone back as a DoF role, he's the best appointment available. I'd like Chris Powell to stay on as Assistant still but I can't see him doing it given his good relationship with Pearson.

I would however stress something in his contract regarding other positions or clubs coming in for him, in an attempt to make any potential future success and further enquiries for his services less awkward.

It's time to get 'The Derby Way' going. This must incorporate excellent coaching managers, a concrete style of play throughout the club, a transfer policy that suits  it and strong academy links as a must. This must be, wherever possible, his mandate to carry out.

I'm not a fan of going backwards looking for former glories, it rarely works.

However you make a fair point above, I was ready to let Powell see the season out for the reason you cite, there are very few good candidates around at the moment. Looking at it from that perspective then I'm not overly enthusiastic about this, but it's not as bad as the Bruce, McCarthy Holloway options. 

I can't see us replicating last time, I worry that legacy will be ruined. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

He won the League with Twente over half a decade ago now, and has since been sacked by three clubs, and resigned from a further two, including Twente. 

You really shouldn't need to have his lack of loyalty explained, particularly when you're noting his last title. 

well I find his last spell HERE inspiring. That's all that matters to me. The rest was for your benefit.

I'd rather be in a position where our manager has the chance to betray us than what we had before. Pearson and Wassall were hardly hot property, were they?

Life was more fun with Schteve in charge. It wasn't perfect, and he might not be able to repeat it. But at least we know he is capable of doing it, and capable of doing it with this set of players.

Owen Bradley isn't the story, he reports the stories.

I like Owen, but I do wonder how he's going to handle McClaren if he comes back. Especially given that quite recently he's been on record strongly stating his distaste with the way Mac handled the Newcastle stuff. 

It won't just be egg on his face, it'll be an entire Full English with all the trimmings. After all when he says Mac damaged relationships, he's referring to the relationship between Mac and Owen himself. 

Remember what I said about him not being the story? It remains true no matter what Owen says. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

-Mourinho

-Kendall

-Pearson

-Redknapp

-Hitzfeld

-Capello

-Pulis

-Graham Taylor

-Steve Bruce (Wigan)

-Steve Coppell

-EDDIE HOWE!

-Darren Ferguson

-Nigel Clough

-

Seems like a gold plated endorsement for Mac then. Bring it on....

Just now, Tombo said:

Owen Bradley isn't the story, he reports the stories.

I like Owen, but I do wonder how he's going to handle McClaren if he comes back. Especially given that quite recently he's been on record strongly stating his distaste with the way Mac handled the Newcastle stuff. 

It won't just be egg on his face, it'll be an entire Full English with all the trimmings. After all when he says Mac damaged relationships, he's referring to the relationship between Mac and Owen himself. 

Remember what I said about him not being the story? It remains true no matter what Owen says. 

By this I mean telling Radio Derby callers to 'move on' when they've mentioned Mac. That sort of clear distaste. 

Archived