Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

It's only depressing because it's burton and zero points and we can't score. Big I know for now but when you step back, really we have no more problems other than these:

a) a bloated and therefore toxic squad (sell please)

b) some flash in the pan players who really aren't very good at all and are being exposed : Russell Martin Blackman bent Butterfield Tom Ince are the main ones. But there are others : weimann Baird Pearce, possibly Johnson (but I think he will come good if motivated). Jury still out on Camara. We need some lethal strikers, and sadly that was a rather inauspicious debut from Wilson.

C) a losing mentality that was created ironically by mclaren playing pretty but vulnerable possession football and bottling it at every key moment / a trait common to his coaching cv. It's almost as if we choke whenever a game means something.

It's early days and I'm not fussed yet. This is labor pains as Pearson gives birth to a promotion winning side. He will move out players, he will fix the striking problem and restore the proper winning mentality.

I didn't like the result today but we were the better side in spite of our back line Hughes and Bryson having to carry the rest of the team. His substitutions were timely and shrewd but they didn't produce the goals you'd expect. His strong defence and his post match interview gives reason for optimism because he's not pulling punches and he sees what's happening.

And exactly what Kevin Phillips does with the strikers heaven knows because they are totally devoid of attacking ideas. 

The fact you say that Martin is a 'main one that needs to be shipped' but Baird isn't just sums this up; nonsense.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

Well, the Nigel Clough trophy goes to Burton in the inaugural fixture for it.

Seriously, I hope Dawnie, Stoners and Tiger are out on the lash tonight because trying to defend that is just defending the indefensible. 

Poor, very poor. :(

:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I don't measure effort by running. I don't expect a player like Martin to run himself into the ground and I don't expect Shackell to play his way out of danger. All I expect is players to do what they are good at. 

Ive played with lads that don't want to come back and defend. Never thought of them as lazy because if you give them the ball then **** happened. They would attack all day and night. I know a few  lads that have played at this level and they take it serious. Bed time early, serious diets, pre match routine... They dropped down through the divisions and one has certainly been accused of having a bad attitude. But he hasn't. He has away from football. But in football he's professional. And trust me, the guy is a tit. But go on a pitch and not care? He's lived football since he could walk. These lads tend to care. The vast majority care. About the badge? Not too often. About the fans? Depends. About winning? Certainly. That's how they became professional athletes.

People often mistake low confidence for lack of effort. A player with low confidence becomes reserved. 

But you can't measure effort on running. Chris Martin expects the ball played into him. It's not too much to ask. Do that and he'll battle all day. Kick it past him and he loses interest. That's not effort. That's a player that believes in his ability to contribute to the team and feels pissed off if others can't help him do his job

Same as you and I would. If i'm your labourer then you expect me to provide you with the tools to do your job. It's not arrogance. It's team work

Every team needs runners. But not 11 of them. 

I'm much more concerned that there's a huge huge gap between our defensive midfield and Martin. Occasionally it gets a visit but not often. And usually by a "100% every game" player like Russell who runs all over the place like a dog with a stick. Or sometimes by Martin. And do any of our team press on? Nope, they back up the play. All 10 of them. All behind the play. 

That's not effort. That's negative garbage. 

And I don't really care who's fault it is. It's just not down to effort. 

People are clearly blaming players effort. Are the players just putting enough effort in not to get battered then? Because we've defended quite well. Seems an odd choice that they can be arsed to defend

:wub:

3 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

The fact you say that Martin is a 'main one that needs to be shipped' but Baird isn't just sums this up; nonsense.

Baird is worth zero money because he's a zero player. He barely ever plays so clearly he's not the problem. We are talking about PROBLEMS. Egos with attitude who don't try. But yes I'd have shipped him out ages ago. He's king of backwards and sideways passing. Players like Ince Martin bent Blackman Butterfield etc etc - big wage earning non performers are bigger problems. 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

It's only depressing because it's burton and zero points and we can't score. Big I know for now but when you step back, really we have no more problems other than these:

a) a bloated and therefore toxic squad (sell please)

b) some flash in the pan players who really aren't very good at all and are being exposed : Russell Martin Blackman bent Butterfield Tom Ince are the main ones. But there are others : weimann Baird Pearce, possibly Johnson (but I think he will come good if motivated). Jury still out on Camara. We need some lethal strikers, and sadly that was a rather inauspicious debut from Wilson.

C) a losing mentality that was created ironically by mclaren playing pretty but vulnerable possession football and bottling it at every key moment / a trait common to his coaching cv. It's almost as if we choke whenever a game means something.

It's early days and I'm not fussed yet. This is labor pains as Pearson gives birth to a promotion winning side. He will move out players, he will fix the striking problem and restore the proper winning mentality.

I didn't like the result today but we were the better side in spite of our back line Hughes and Bryson having to carry the rest of the team. His substitutions were timely and shrewd but they didn't produce the goals you'd expect. His strong defence and his post match interview gives reason for optimism because he's not pulling punches and he sees what's happening.

And exactly what Kevin Phillips does with the strikers heaven knows because they are totally devoid of attacking ideas. 

I echo your thoughts on Kevin Phillips. Either the forwards aren't listening or his coaching is pants. 

Watch the positions our forwards take up in the box and you will see how difficult it is for anyone trying to find them. It's like they hide next to defenders. No-one drops a bit deeper or takes a far post position. They just sit on the six yard box, surrounded by defenders and in prime position for the goalkeeper to take anything in the air.

Further to what I said about my misgivings about the coaching staff, I would like to say that I am genuinely chuffed for Burton.

good luck to them.

They played well and deserved the victory and to be in the league on merit and not to be patronised by us because of our 'bigger club' status.

Always felt that the way NC was booted out was, at least on a human and moral level, not Derby's finest hour. Always like him as a man and hope that that victory gave him a some form of personal comfort.

And of course, great to see Barker back playing in a competitive game.

You'd have to have a heart of Ice to not feel happy for them for what will go down as one of their greatest nights.

We need a ball winner in the middle of the park, last nights midfield was too weak and feeble. Hughes,Bryson and Butterfield are too much alike, all can do a job further forward. Martin is the only player forward of the defense, with a bit of strength.Obviously NP needs time to get the right blend (squad/market), but right now, in midfield and upfront we look like snowwhite and the seven dwarfs.

10 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

This beautiful man will come back and make us stronger. He'll make us more secure, dictate the tempo and allow Hughes and Byrson to push forward. That's the one good thing I can f*cking hold on to right now.

image.jpeg

I hope so too. But I have a feeling he will get played either on the wing or up front with the current tactics.

Still 41 games to go and we have only signed 1 player and that is on loan there will be some new arrivals before the window ends there had to be. Also don't forget we have 6 potential first team players out currently which is limiting out options.  

Pearson is not a muppet he knows what he is doing the players just are not clicking yet. 

Its frustration because it was Burton. This is a transition season maybe we could knick play offs maybe not this is the hardest season ever in the championship with the wealth and quality around. 

Just a matter of time before it comes good. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I don't measure effort by running. I don't expect a player like Martin to run himself into the ground and I don't expect Shackell to play his way out of danger. All I expect is players to do what they are good at. 

Ive played with lads that don't want to come back and defend. Never thought of them as lazy because if you give them the ball then **** happened. They would attack all day and night. I know a few  lads that have played at this level and they take it serious. Bed time early, serious diets, pre match routine... They dropped down through the divisions and one has certainly been accused of having a bad attitude. But he hasn't. He has away from football. But in football he's professional. And trust me, the guy is a tit. But go on a pitch and not care? He's lived football since he could walk. These lads tend to care. The vast majority care. About the badge? Not too often. About the fans? Depends. About winning? Certainly. That's how they became professional athletes.

People often mistake low confidence for lack of effort. A player with low confidence becomes reserved. 

But you can't measure effort on running. Chris Martin expects the ball played into him. It's not too much to ask. Do that and he'll battle all day. Kick it past him and he loses interest. That's not effort. That's a player that believes in his ability to contribute to the team and feels pissed off if others can't help him do his job

Same as you and I would. If i'm your labourer then you expect me to provide you with the tools to do your job. It's not arrogance. It's team work

Every team needs runners. But not 11 of them. 

I'm much more concerned that there's a huge huge gap between our defensive midfield and Martin. Occasionally it gets a visit but not often. And usually by a "100% every game" player like Russell who runs all over the place like a dog with a stick. Or sometimes by Martin. And do any of our team press on? Nope, they back up the play. All 10 of them. All behind the play. 

That's not effort. That's negative garbage. 

And I don't really care who's fault it is. It's just not down to effort. 

People are clearly blaming players effort. Are the players just putting enough effort in not to get battered then? Because we've defended quite well. Seems an odd choice that they can be arsed to defend

It's an issue that has fans massively divided. Of course nobody expects all 11 players to simply run like headless chickens but I think a lot of fans have an expectation as to competing. I'm not in favour of criticising the players (or the manager) unduly but I would have liked to see us compete more, especially in midfield.  Our guys have plenty of talent but the coming weeks will show whether they also have the stomach for a fight.  In this league I feel you need both attributes to be really successful.  In the last few seasons we seem to have had the former without showing conclusively that we have the latter. Hopefully the manager will be able to galvanise the team. If he can't, then given the way we are playing, he may find himself shown the door as there's a very toxic atmosphere building again which is not a good place to be.  I can't help feeling that our problems started with the recruitment / scouting side of things and I'm not convinced this has been addressed as yet. 

What annoyed me was there on loan guy from Tottenham put in a late tackle on Olson. He did a few other dirty late tackles also but never got carded. What annoyed me was not one of our players stuck one in him. 

Summed it up that we just didn't battle for anything 

several times we just stood there and watched the ball and never attacked it. At one point there was the ball in their box with 2 of our players within a couple of yards and both just looked at it!

spineless display

Archived