Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

He is injury prone. A really good player but cannot play every game, or you certainly cannot rely on that.

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Errrr..... so he is a bit injury prone then

Disagree with you both and i will continue to do till my face turns purple. He has had 3 massive injuries not reoccurring bullshit injuries that effectively end careers like micheal owens hamstrings 

Poor. Lots of players need to have a hard look at themselves. No guts or bravery to make things happen, they wait for things to happen and got beat. Well done Burton, also thought Clough was top class in his interview after the game. We won't be the last team to lose at the Pirelli this season!

It's a truism that these players CAN score goals- and by the hatful. They just need to play in a system that suits them.

It's said earlier in this thread and it's true- NP just needs to look back at some of our games over the last 2-3 yrs and see how you get the most from our (strong) squad.

I don't know why it is that our players just don't work with a straight 442, but they don't. And it's been proven by three managers. NP seems to want to reinvent the wheel. This isn't and wasn't the time for wholesale change.

32 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

The players are paid a lot of money by the club to do as the manager asks and give 100%. If they have no confidence that is their issue and another sign of the mental weakness that has held the club back over the last 2 seasons. Mel has brought NP in to clear up the mess that has been created and if takes 3 seasons then it takes 3 seasons. We have f***ed up our player recruitment and now unfortunately need to deal with the consequences.

But we are dealing with it by appointing a manager who will play a system which means we will have to sell our good players and bad ones. I wonder which ones we will receive offers for and which ones we will end up having to put up with.

Did we really have to clear out everyone and start again. Or just try to loan or sell our 6 worst players and buy 2 quality players where we needed them, I agree we will get worse, but it is not guaranteed that we will get better again.  

The hysteria on here has reached an all-time high. I don't really understand it. Tonight's result was easy to foresee.

Funnily enough, I was speaking to my best friend before the game and said it would be 1-0 to Burton, simply because they were playing us at a very good time - we are still finding our way.

We need to dust ourselves down and stay calm. It's only August. Nothing is won or lost at this point.

Burton are in the same division and very much here on merit. At the same time, Clough and his players will come into every game approaching it like a cup final, so it was obvious that if we didn't match them for guile, intensity, bravery and effort, it would only go one way. And so it proved. You can compare the clubs on size, stature and infrastructure but when it's 11 v 11 on the pitch, does that always count?

I think we've all been watching Derby long enough that nights like tonight shouldn't come as a surprise or an embarrassment. It's a one-off game. We've been here before - we've been turned over by many an 'inferior' in my time alone. I remember us playing Grimsby at home in Division One in 2002 and our players making John Oster look world class, as an example. It would be different if we were looking up at Burton after 46 games of the season. But that's not the case and I doubt it will be.

All we've learned is that Pearson has a bigger job on his hands than he initially thought and needs to be sensible but strong and decisive if he is to move us forward.

I don't blame Pearson, certainly not at this point. Every manager comes in and tries to mould the team in his own image, to get the players playing in his style or following his methods. It's perfectly natural. Some players will respond well, others won't. Some faces fit, some faces don't. We need to let this run its course.

We've had awful, disjointed performances and terrible runs of form under every manager in our recent history, so why are we overreacting to this particular one?

Whatever Mel's thinking was behind Pearson's appointment, he has to trust him and give him the time and resources to get it right and not be swayed five games into the season. Otherwise, what was the point? We might as well have stuck with Wassall in that case. :lol:

Anyhow,  my opinions on the match...

Deeply disappointing obviously. I would have expected any semi sensible gameplan to involve moving the 3 behemoths in burtons centre defence around. Instead we contrived to play in straight lines that made mcfadzean look competent. 

There is much debate about players v tactics.

I think it is more complex. Some players try too hard eg bryson when he picked up his booking having lunged to try and recover a poor pass from keogh. Some showed disappointing levels of urgency until far too late. Hughes looked fettered by unsuitable tactics.

It looks like the players are being taught some tactics but are executing very poorly. Balls into channels didn't work. Repeated failure drops heads and effort levels and we fell into a vicious cycle of decline. 

But formation needs critical examination. We lack pace in centre midfield. So 2 deep lying midfielders in a 4231 as in first half didn't work. Neither did reinventing the 2 holders as centre mids in a 442 solve anything. Need a couple of all rounders which we don't have.

It would be nice to hear np articulate post match what the plan had actually been to avoid us guessing  (usually poorly).

However on to the next one.

Just now, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Pains me to say this but we've overachieved the last few seasons, we're a bang average championship club nothing more. Only positive we have the same amount of points as at this stage last season.

Darren Wassall and Steve McClaren must have been geniuses then. 

Just now, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Pains me to say this but we've overachieved the last few seasons, we're a bang average championship club nothing more. Only positive we have the same amount of points as at this stage last season.

over paid premadonas  300k against 3.6 mil team lol

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We've had awful, disjointed performances and terrible runs of form under every manager in our recent history, so why are we overreacting to this particular one?

I personally think that the answer to this is that we are not used to new managers starting and seeing performances decline week on week.

Also whilst you are correct about very poor runs of form they have usually happened after strong runs so there is an element of forgiveness - in my opinion. Nigel pearson has not yet got us going and so hasn't earned himself a breathing space.

Archived