Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

What annoyed me was there on loan guy from Tottenham put in a late tackle on Olson. He did a few other dirty late tackles also but never got carded. What annoyed me was not one of our players stuck one in him. 

Summed it up that we just didn't battle for anything 

several times we just stood there and watched the ball and never attacked it. At one point there was the ball in their box with 2 of our players within a couple of yards and both just looked at it!

spineless display

Right near the beginning of the game Christie made an alright attempt to win the ball back, but then was simply brushed aside two seconds later as if he wasn't there. He then proceeded to slowly jog back towards the ball making no effort whatsoever to rectify his mistake.

6 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Perhaps you misunderstood. I was offering a view as to why previous managers had got some level of leeway from fans - which I termed "forgiveness ".

Think about it. ...

Maclaren meltdown. ...after a season and a half of scintillating football. We allowed time.

Clement - slow results at start but the performances were  building and there was a mitigating factor of lots of new players. Pretty quickly there was a run of good results. This bought some time when things went south.

Wassail - patchy but got enough good performances early on to hang on to what was only a temporary job.

Now Pearson - he's the first of the crop who is starting out having said he thought only "tweaking" was needed and he was going to build on what was there. He's had 3 months,  7 competitive games plus friendlies and both performances and results are not building in any positive sense. So for him there is nothing with this group of players to show what he can achieve nor are there any signs for immediate optimism. That is of course not to say that he cannot turn the tide but the immediate outlook  does look a bit bleak at present. 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that a manager deserves more than five league games before you make a judgement, irrespective of who the manager is and what expectations have been placed upon him. It's August. There is nothing truly to be learned from such a small sample of games.

It's a misleading time of year. It's the time of year where poor results and sluggish, disjointed and shall we say, experimental performances are most likely and it's the time of year where you get them out of your system. You can't read so much into them. Otherwise winning our first four league games under Clough in 2011-12 would have led to much more than a mid-table finish and a five match unbeaten run with Phil Brown in 2005-06 wouldn't have led to him being sacked in January.

I completely understand your point that so far, we haven't looked good. I concur with that. I went to the Brighton game and I was unimpressed with what I saw too. But this is nothing new. I watched us against Ipswich under McClaren in 2014-15 and against Middlesbrough under Clement last season and I walked away feeling much the same - unimpressed.

Under both managers, results and performances both improved and with the players we have, I see no reason to think otherwise with Pearson. Things will settle down.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

People often mistake low confidence for lack of effort. A player with low confidence becomes reserved. 

But you can't measure effort on running. Chris Martin expects the ball played into him. It's not too much to ask. Do that and he'll battle all day. Kick it past him and he loses interest. That's not effort. That's a player that believes in his ability to contribute to the team and feels pissed off if others can't help him do his job

Agree 100% with this, and everything else in your post.

The other side of it, is that the players don't seem to know what they are supposed to be doing.  You've got Hughes and Bryson sitting, both of whose natural inclination is to go chasing the ball, but they're torn between doing that and and having to sit and hold position, so we don't leave a massive gap in behind.  So we're getting cases where both players go chasing and we get killed on the break, or neither go and we don't press.  The same is happening when we have possession, they're torn between sitting and shoring things up, and going to support the attack. And it's not just the 2 midfielders, it's happening all over the park. It's not lack of effort, it's indecision because they don't understand what's being asked of them, there's no structure or cohesion or pattern of play.

15 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

We are clearly seeing a battle of wills going on behind the scenes. It is not the time for another new manager and we need to look long, hard and honestly at our own shortcomings, not look backwards through rose tinted spectacles. We are where we are right now and we need to deal with it.

Nigel is clearly at odds with a number of the players with a poor attitude who don't want to play for him. I think he is playing them to prove a point to Mel that this is the case. It will give him the license he needs to leave them out/move them on.

It won't be quick and it isn't going to change overnight however in the long run it is the right thing for Derby County. He is now going to have to do much of the same work that our previous Nigel had to undertake and rebuild the team. We as fans should now get behind him & Chris Powell & stop looking back. There is a cancer in the club that needs to be cut out. We have made many mistakes as a club over the last 2 years and we are now seeing the effects of that.

For me Ince, Martin, Butterfield, Russell, Shackell, Blackman & Bent have had their time and we should move on without them even if that means leaving them to rot on the sidelines. Let's start giving players like Elsnik, Max Lowe and Rawson a game to see if they can cut the mustard at this level. Their attitude will be right and they will have the desire and passion we all want to see. Combined with some prudent additions of players with the same attitude and desire we will start to see some improvements and much to many peoples doubt right now Pearson will sort this out. 

Very good post.  I agree with your list of players to move on except I would keep Shackell (unless he causes off field problems) and add Bradley Johnson.

16 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So, was it as gash as it sounded? Im slogging up the m6 to glasgow like most fridays and it seems like it was an utter ******* abotion that unfolded on spirts extra? 

Im expected us to have a tough match and pethaps lose because clough would want this one....but.....what? What is wrong, to me it stinks like when we were top of the leauge under Clement and the players started throwing in abject dross til they had things their own way again. 

Just glad I dont work with any Burton fans. 

RW will you be in Glasgow when we play Newcastle on Sky Sports?

If so I'll be watching it in The State Bar (Holland Street, off Sauchihall Street) and not getting in a state like a few on here are doing, over one game of football etc, if you fancy meeting up for a pint to watch it, let us know.

I'm doing the Coronation Street tour at the SECC in the afternoon, then I'll watch the Rams on Sky followed by enjoying The Wedding Present at the School of Art.

When we sacked NC, we all knew he would come back and bite us on the bum, and the Aberdeenshire Rams were not surprised by last night's result. But do we really "suck" as some are implying on here after losing one game only, I don't think so. Up The Rams.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Agree 100% with this, and everything else in your post.

The other side of it, is that the players don't seem to know what they are supposed to be doing.  You've got Hughes and Bryson sitting, both of whose natural inclination is to go chasing the ball, but they're torn between doing that and and having to sit and hold position, so we don't leave a massive gap in behind.  So we're getting cases where both players go chasing and we get killed on the break, or neither go and we don't press.  The same is happening when we have possession, they're torn between sitting and shoring things up, and going to support the attack. And it's not just the 2 midfielders, it's happening all over the park. It's not lack of effort, it's indecision because they don't understand what's being asked of them, there's no structure or cohesion or pattern of play.

Somebody was quoting the post match pearson interview where words to the effect that the players were not doing as asked were used.

Given your observation that they look lost and uncertain - which certainly looked right last night, there is a clear disconnect

I think this is where Chris powell could play a really important intermediary role between the players and coaches /management. There has to be a meeting of minds and quickly. This window's gone whatever Pearson wanted to happen really hasn't. Everyone is now stuck with each other 5till January .the last thing we need is 4 months of strife and toil which may well see us adrift of the promotion pack.

Archived