Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

21 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

But I'd say covering those costs isn't really getting money for the transfer though? I was told it was a free transfer about a week ago, but Buxton was deciding on his move, so it was down to him and the clubs had agreed the terms. Maybe somethings changed, but I think Wigan not saying anything on their site is key to be honest.

id say its more a case of "free" because there is no profit, it just covers the costs

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sammy1946 said:

So SDSR is not ITK anymore? 

Of course he is, but even he can get things wrong occasionally. DCFC Twitter has literally tweeted he's left for an undisclosed fee, suggesting we did get some sort of fee for him. And besides, even if he did go for free you always claimed he wouldn't get a move to another Championship team, so regardless of the fee you're still wrong.

9 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

I like how people frantically trying to prove that we have received at least a measly penny for our "cult hero". It is so miserable. Glad he is gone. 

Did you know that the Keogh and Buxton partnership (from McClaren's stewardship onwards) conceded less goals per minute than Keogh and Shackell? 

He can't be that bad. 

11 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

I like how people frantically trying to prove that we have received at least a measly penny for our "cult hero". It is so miserable. Glad he is gone. 

I felt the same about Jason Donovan when I was your age and all the girls in my class fancied him instead of me. 

All I'm reading into this is that the girl you fancy has a photo of Jake Buxton on her facebook/twitter homepage, and that puts you off your sugar puffs!

Aside of that, good luck Jake. A true "lead by example" player has left, and I truly hope we buy a proper leader soon.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Did you know that the Keogh and Buxton partnership (from McClaren's stewardship onwards) conceded less goals per minute than Keogh and Shackell? 

He can't be that bad. 

No because didn't you know Keogh is ALSO dreadful and when you multiply two negatives it makes a positive... So yeh... That's why...

#Logic

13 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

no one is trying to prove anything its in the statement from the club. Why did you quote the Wigan article to show there was no fee?

6 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

So SDSR is not ITK anymore? 

he didn't say at any point it was definitely a free, and today that we have gained no revenue from the deal, but covered costs.

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We've obviously received something as the club wouldn't lie. But we haven't gained any revenue from the sale (well that's was what I was told last night). I could be wrong, I could be right, but I wouldn't make anything up

I never quite got the full on love affair people had with him. But then he came from the conference and established himself as a championship player and moves on to another championship club. He had limited abilities, but he made the most of them, with unquestioning commitment to the cause.

It was certainly time for him to move on, and I wish him all the best with my utmost respect, as I should have from all Derby fans.

I'm glad that this sort of deals been made, thanks for letting us know of that detail SDSR.

I wonder if there has ever been a bigger celebration of a returning player than there will be when Wigan come to Derby?

His Wigan interview sums him up.

New Wigan Athletic signing Jake Buxton arrives at the DW Stadium with a reputation as a strong and hard-working defender, and says he’s ready to give everything he’s got to make a success of joining the club. 

Speaking at the Wigan Athletic Training Centre earlier today, the 31-year-old said: 

“It’s probably 75% of my make up that I’m a leader and I do believe strongly in when you cross that white line it’s in your heart what you can bring to the football pitch. 

“I’m not bad with my feet either and I’m looking forward to showing that in the games that I play. 

“I’ll guarantee I’ll give everything I’ve got for this football club, and I’d like to think that every supporter who pays their money or buys their season ticket will like what I want to give to this club.” 

On his decision to leave Derby County, a club he’d spent seven years with, Buxton continued: 

“Gary Caldwell and David Sharpe chased me up over the summer and made me feel very wanted. 

“The way they spoke about the football club made me like it even more.  It’s a well-run family club and from being around the place for 24 hours I can really see what they meant when they said that to me. 

“It was a tough decision to leave Derby County because I had built up a good relationship, not only with the players, but with people behind the scenes from the kit man to the kitchen staff. 

“The most important thing wasn’t happening for me which is playing week in week out and showing everybody what I am as a player, not just a good lad and a good character. 

“It was vitally important that come the summer I looked at options to be playing again and Wigan Athletic is the strongest option for me.” 

Looking ahead to the new season, Buxton said he’s excited to start work with familiar team mates and new faces. 

“I’ve played with Stephen Warnock and Michael Jacobs and they’ve only had good things to say about the club. 

“I’ve come across the majority of the squad at some point over my career and we’ve got some really good players, but the next step is to maintain the standards they showed last season. 

“It’s a challenge, and one I’m looking forward to.”

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/jake-buxton-first-interview-wigan-athletic-derby-county-3207638.aspx#tpdHH7DRIPekRvzs.99

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I'm glad that this sort of deals been made, thanks for letting us know of that detail SDSR.

I wonder if there has ever been a bigger celebration of a returning player than there will be when Wigan come to Derby?

I'm going to cry into my Bucko scarf, whilst spilling tea out of my Bucko commemorative mug onto my 'Bucko is my personal saviour' t-shirt...

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Just imagine how much of the game Martin will spend on the floor.

Just now, Anon said:

Just imagine how much of the game Martin will spend on the floor.

I'm definitely putting money on Bucko giving away a penalty to be honest :lol: Maybe even getting sent off.

Archived