Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I remember when Jake first started playing for the first team (if I remember correctly he was signed for the 'development squad' along with Ben Pringle) he seemed like a capable if limited defender. Nigel Clough often talked about centre halves needing to 'head it and kick it'. Jake did this, and very well, but he didn't exactly catch the eye.

When Nigel left, I thought that there was a big change in Jake's game. Suddenly he seemed to be able to pass the ball with ease. To me, for that first season under McClaren, Buxton looked like a very fine player. Some of his long passing was breathtaking and his skill on the ball actually gave us extra momentum. He's always had weakness in his inability to turn quickly, but he's usually made up for that with his lionhearted attitude. It's a shame that injuries have taken there toll on Jake. I really hope he does well Wigan - if he actually goes, and it does seem to be taking a long while to sort out.

When Jake retires from the game, Derby must immediately offer him a job for life at the club. It does not matter in what guise.

Regardless of any perceived shortcomings as a player, he undoubtedly possesses a talismanic quality for the fans which cannot be bought or sold as it is beyond value to this club. In a spiritual sense, he embodies them.

PS. See the Iceland team homecoming if you want proof of how powerful this can be for fans.

Sensible replies only please.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/jake-buxton-leaves-derby-county-for-wigan-athletic-3206173.aspx

Derby County defender Jake Buxton has today joined fellow Sky Bet Championship side Wigan Athletic for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old leaves Derby after seven years at the iPro Stadium, after arriving from Burton Albion in the summer of 2009.

Buxton, in total, made 159 appearances for the Rams and scored on 13 occasions, including a memorable late winner at home to local rivals Nottingham Forest in March 2012.

The popular central defender was also a key part of the Derby side that reached the 2014 Play-Off Final.

Manager Nigel Pearson said: “Although I have only been at the club for a short period of time, I have seen first-hand and am well aware that Jake Buxton has been a fantastic servant for Derby County.

“He had limited playing time last season and, given I couldn’t assure him of a regular starting place moving forward, the move to Wigan Athletic is a great opportunity for him.”

Derby County would like to thank Jake for his service throughout his seven years at the club, both on and off the pitch, and wish him every success in the future.

image.png

Goodbye Sir Jake, the man who proved his doubters wrong time and time again, the man who stepped up from non-league when many ridiculed his signing, the man who fought and fought for a place, and the man who seemed to become an adopted son of the Derby County faithful, with adoration being mutually shared between players and fans. If the other players had his heart and desire then we would be in the Premier League by now, and whilst he probably doesn't deserve a place in our first team centre back pairing, he certainly deserves a place in our hearts. I will always remember the winner against Forest.

image.jpeg

No Jake, thank you.

Good luck to him. Deserves football at 31, his heart and desire can never ever be questioned. Ultimately, this outweighed his actual ability, and it's only right that he was 3rd or 4th choice at this stage.

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

image.png

Goodbye Sir Jake, the man who proved his doubters wrong time and time again, the man who stepped up from non-league when many ridiculed his signing, the man who fought and fought for a place, and the man who seemed to become an adopted son of the Derby County faithful, with adoration being mutually shared between players and fans. If the other players had his heart and desire then we would be in the Premier League by now, and whilst he probably doesn't deserve a place in our first team centre back pairing, he certainly deserves a place in our hearts. I will always remember the winner against Forest.

image.jpeg

No Jake, thank you.

From the bottom of our hearts.

Our very own Lionheart.

Come back and stay for good next time.

Archived