Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

to any critic, Jake Buxton has easily been in our top 3 centre backs THIS century.

Leacock was awesome in promotion season but rubbish after, same with Darren Moore. Those that battled relegation at the turn of the century and ultimately came down were not as consistent as Buxton, and those in the horror years of Gregory, Brown, Burley and Jewell weren't fit to lace Buxton's boots.

If he was a foreigner he'd be held in much higher regard for his actual ability, he plays the game like an Italian defender.

I would argue he's better than both Keogh and Shackell, but I will never convince people that, nor will I want to, but, beyond those 2 and Buxton.... there's nobody else, in the last 15-16 years as good.

Better is a hard one as how do you measure a footballer? But his strengths are real qualities you'd want in any player. His weaknesses? Well, I obviously differ from a lot of other people as I certainly see him as a very useful player at this level and, who knows, maybe above? Every time a new challenge comes, he rises to it. It's a shame that he never got there with us as I'd love to see how he would adapt to the next level. If people were to have said he was an adequate premiership defender, nothing special - considering his lowly origins, it would have been like a fairy story. 

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

to any critic, Jake Buxton has easily been in our top 3 centre backs THIS century.

Leacock was awesome in promotion season but rubbish after, same with Darren Moore. Those that battled relegation at the turn of the century and ultimately came down were not as consistent as Buxton, and those in the horror years of Gregory, Brown, Burley and Jewell weren't fit to lace Buxton's boots.

If he was a foreigner he'd be held in much higher regard for his actual ability, he plays the game like an Italian defender.

I would argue he's better than both Keogh and Shackell, but I will never convince people that, nor will I want to, but, beyond those 2 and Buxton.... there's nobody else, in the last 15-16 years as good.

better than barker?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Hounded out?

Waaambulance.jpg

Whats so funny? Made a comment on my view regarding another member on forum? Has he harmed you in some way that u seem to take offence to my defence of him? Or is it a popularity contest when others are right alot of the time i.e. mackworth ram and people get butt hurt by it? And wait to shoot him down?

11 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Whats so funny? Made a comment on my view regarding another member on forum? Has he harmed you in some way that u seem to take offence to my defence of him? Or is it a popularity contest when others are right alot of the time i.e. mackworth ram and people get butt hurt by it? And wait to shoot him down?

Stop being so bloody pathetc. You're embarrassing yourself.

What can I say about this man?

I'm not as old as many on here, and so haven't seen as many players. I've been watching since 2003, and what I can say is Jake Buxton is, for me, by far and away the favourite I have ever seen.

Not sure how you can criticise the man, regardless of what you think of him as a football player, everyone must appreciate the pride he had for wearing that shirt,

I hope he returns to Derby as a coach. I have no idea about his tactical abilities or any of that nonsense, but I know for sure he'd get them motivated.

I really hope he has succeeds at Wigan and I am really looking forward to giving him a big **** off applause when he appears at the iPro/

7 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Goddard going was a killer...

Wright and Saunders a disaster.

Jake? Nah Good luck to him. Top bloke but not in the same league.

Agree with your sentiment, but you have to put things into context. The 3 players you name were very good integral players in a very good team. This current team, although it has had it's moments, wouldn't get a look in against that team. However, putting it into context, Jake has been a very important part of this team and will be missed on a number of levels. That doesn't mean that if we fail it will be because he has gone, and heaven forbid that his going has the same effect as when Goddard went  ?

7 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Goddard going was a killer...

Wright and Saunders a disaster.

Jake? Nah Good luck to him. Top bloke but not in the same league.

Yes good luck to him, could teach the England team a thing or two about desire and making the best if your ability.

He was never a favourite of mine, and although he had a good season under SM, I don't think his leaving will have any detriment to the team and was the best move for all parties. Hope he does well at Wigan.

Archived