Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes but NP is a seasoned football manager with experience in this field. An expert.

And we're all tired of hearing from the experts.

An expert......someone who knows more and more about less and less

21 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

to any critic, Jake Buxton has easily been in our top 3 centre backs THIS century.

Leacock was awesome in promotion season but rubbish after, same with Darren Moore. Those that battled relegation at the turn of the century and ultimately came down were not as consistent as Buxton, and those in the horror years of Gregory, Brown, Burley and Jewell weren't fit to lace Buxton's boots.

If he was a foreigner he'd be held in much higher regard for his actual ability, he plays the game like an Italian defender.

I would argue he's better than both Keogh and Shackell, but I will never convince people that, nor will I want to, but, beyond those 2 and Buxton.... there's nobody else, in the last 15-16 years as good.

Slightly off topic but i dont think Burley shouldnt be put in the same bracket as the other managers. George was an excellent manager, he got us to a playoff semi-final under the constraints of the three amigos. He had terrible working conditions and did a very good job with what he had. George Burley with the right board would have been fantastic plus he always wanted to play the right way

Oh and buxton isnt in the top three centre backs we've had this century, Horacio Carbonari played until 2002, taribo west played in 2001 and barker was better. 

I like buxton but he isnt even in the top three centre backs at the club now let alone this century otherwise pearson wouldnt have let him go    

33 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Slightly off topic but i dont think Burley shouldnt be put in the same bracket as the other managers. George was an excellent manager, he got us to a playoff semi-final under the constraints of the three amigos. He had terrible working conditions and did a very good job with what he had. George Burley with the right board would have been fantastic plus he always wanted to play the right way

Oh and buxton isnt in the top three centre backs we've had this century, Horacio Carbonari played until 2002, taribo west played in 2001 and barker was better. 

I like buxton but he isnt even in the top three centre backs at the club now let alone this century otherwise pearson wouldnt have let him go    

I'll ignore your last two comments, we disagree and that's that, but as for Burley, I wasn't referring to him, I was obviously referring to the centre backs he had!

Buxton has been the best back-up centre-back we've had in my lifetime, IMO.

I wouldn't put him in the top three best of the last 16 years, but as far as signing go, there is no doubt he has been a brilliant addition considering how little he has cost us and how much he has offered.

I have to say, I disagree with many of the comments generally having the message of "Bucko wasn't the best, but he gave it his all".

I'm with @Mostyn6, he was and hopefully for Wigan still is a top Championship centre-back in my eyes. Hopefully for him, he'll one day get to test himself at an even higher level although the clock is ticking on that one. I would love to see him get to the Premier League in his career. I wanted to see him do it here but unfortunately he's not rated by the current coaching staff for whatever reason and had to be sold. Time will tell whether that was the right call or not.

He's more than just work rate, he was a classy centre half with footballing ability. When we started singing "Jake Buxton's a football genius", it was under Clough when he was far from a football genius. He'd been told to just head it and kick it. Eventually, he proved us right. He was a bloody good passer of the ball, fantastic at reading his man and intercepted everything. He had the mental side of the game down to a tee when it came to defending. He didn't earn the name 'Buckenbauer' without having some football ability.

As a fan, I came to love Buxton first for his work rate, then for his talent. His passion caught my curiosity first, and then his ability caught my attention after.

It's hard to talk about Jake Buxton leaving without it sounding like a eulogy. I feel an enormous sense of loss for my football club. All the best Bucko, you will be missed.

17 minutes ago, Tombo said:

fantastic at reading his man and intercepted everything.

Much as I love him, I can't fully agree.

We still conceded too many from crosses last season, but the sheer number of times I'd see Shackell be the first man to a cross, heading it away from just wide of the 6 yard area, cutting out the cross before it reached their man in the centre of the box was something we didn't really see from Sir Jake.

He was great at getting away with grappling the opposition in the box, but his 1 on 1 battles were sometimes at the expense of his positioning.

On 26/07/2016 at 14:29, Sammy1946 said:

I like how people frantically trying to prove that we have received at least a measly penny for our "cult hero". It is so miserable. Glad he is gone. 

Bin away from the forum for a bit, and this is the first thread I've read. One thing stands out immediately.

You, sir, are a very silly person.

11 hours ago, Tombo said:

He's more than just work rate, he was a classy centre half with footballing ability. When we started singing "Jake Buxton's a football genius", it was under Clough when he was far from a football genius. He'd been told to just head it and kick it. Eventually, he proved us right. He was a bloody good passer of the ball, fantastic at reading his man and intercepted everything. He had the mental side of the game down to a tee when it came to defending. He didn't earn the name 'Buckenbauer' without having some football ability.

Now I love Saint Bucko of iPro with all of my heart... And I agree with a lot of the points above... As well as being solid, strong, good in the tackle etc he was a classy footballer... Good with both feet (Hughesy... pay attention) and could hit much more accurate passes than 'Hollywood' Shackell ("He's going for a Hollywood pass guys! Oh wait it's the same left to right across the field to the RW and just above Ince's head... Great")...

HOWEVER

He was caught out for pace and slow turning quite a lot for a modern CB... And his slight lack of height caused him many of the same problems which Michael Johnson had for us... I swear both of them were good for 3-4 free kicks a game from man-handling 6ft 3 forwards when trying to beat them in the air...

As much as I hate to see him go... It was the right decision for him as there's no chance we would have offered him a new 3 yr deal and given him better chance of playing... At Wigan he should be straight into their first team and in there for good...

Dear Jake,

Maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have...

Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have...

Little things I should have said and done...

I just never took the time...

You were always on my mind...

...You were always on my mind ??

13781929_1357943534222623_15517991764426

I took this picture at the SB5 testimonial, I believe it was when Bucko got the armband and stood there looking at Steve Bloomer.

What an incredible man more than anything, he proved time and time again to never judge a book by its cover.

Derby loves you Bucko, come home soon :(

What we need to understand also, is that this move is whats best for bucko on a personal level.

He was never going to oust keogh or shacks so does he sit here as a bit part player or go to a club on a 3 year contract, should play regular and secure his future?.

Loved the guy and can't wait to see him do well at Wigan.

During these hard times, it would be helpful if someone could find and link that marvellous Bucko-thread (you know, the one which had some similarities with Chuck Norris)

Reading through it would probably make farewell easier.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 12:45, Dale The Ram said:

13781929_1357943534222623_15517991764426

I took this picture at the SB5 testimonial, I believe it was when Bucko got the armband and stood there looking at Steve Bloomer.

What an incredible man more than anything, he proved time and time again to never judge a book by its cover.

Derby loves you Bucko, come home soon :(

A great picture which says it all.

Every single word dead right, me old duck.

He has magic dust sprinkled on him. Lots of it. He gets "it" big time. The whole schtick and caboodle.

Humble. Brave. Fearless. Ordinary. Wonderful. Uneducated but so astute on many levels.

Love this man. Great guy. Fighter. Warrior. Brother. Son. Best mate.

A real life talisman.  

And a very good player too is our Jake, let's never forget that.

At a very visceral level, he is a spiritual conduit for us diehard fans. Bill Shankly style. He knows it too, just as we do.

See his interview on signing for Wigan. Heart breaking. Should never ever have left here.

Also, see Conte's comparable comments on Terry's importance to Chelsea if you don't believe me, playing or not. But he isn't a patch on our man really. 

Football is so much more than just the sum of its parts. Much, much more. 

That's why it is so powerful, so intoxicating.

This lovely man is our soul brother in a Rams shirt.

Mel Morris, are you listening? I sincerely hope so.

Get him back here asap, covered head to toe in top coaching badges. Our future manager, with a heart full of soul.

Heap powerful medicine, white man.

When we play Wigan at home, any doubters on one knee please. JB homage time.

Then all rise for the mighty Sir Jake.

Deafening applause will ensue with chants of "Bucko, Bucko" ringing right around the whole ground.

You'll see.

He should never leave here again once he comes back home to us.

He truly embodies our football club.

A latter day Dave Mackay with a Derby accent.

Wonderful.

What's not to love?

Whew!!

PS. I feel really sorry for anyone who mocks or doubts that all this will really happen. 

59 minutes ago, Robbie Ram said:

A great picture which says it all.

Every single word dead right, me old duck.

He has magic dust sprinkled on him. Lots of it. He gets "it" big time. The whole schtick and caboodle.

Humble. Brave. Fearless. Ordinary. Wonderful. Uneducated but so astute on many levels.

Love this man. Great guy. Fighter. Warrior. Brother. Son. Best mate.

A real life talisman.  

And a very good player too is our Jake, let's never forget that.

At a very visceral level, he is a spiritual conduit for us diehard fans. Bill Shankly style. He knows it too, just as we do.

See his interview on signing for Wigan. Heart breaking. Should never ever have left here.

Also, see Conte's comparable comments on Terry's importance to Chelsea if you don't believe me, playing or not. But he isn't a patch on our man really. 

Football is so much more than just the sum of its parts. Much, much more. 

That's why it is so powerful, so intoxicating.

This lovely man is our soul brother in a Rams shirt.

Mel Morris, are you listening? I sincerely hope so.

Get him back here asap, covered head to toe in top coaching badges. Our future manager, with a heart full of soul.

Heap powerful medicine, white man.

When we play Wigan at home, any doubters on one knee please. JB homage time.

Then all rise for the mighty Sir Jake.

Deafening applause will ensue with chants of "Bucko, Bucko" ringing right around the whole ground.

You'll see.

He should never leave here again once he comes back home to us.

He truly embodies our football club.

A latter day Dave Mackay with a Derby accent.

Wonderful.

What's not to love?

Whew!!

PS. I feel really sorry for anyone who mocks or doubts that all this will really happen. 

I don't doubt it, just fell asleep midway through reading it...

Archived