Which midfielder would you sell this summer?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Hendrick suffered from us throwing 11 million at butterfield and Johnson and if we went up he would be the sort of premiership type of player we would need.

If we didn't buy them we would have been left with Hendrick, Thorne, Hanson and Baird to chose from in midfield for at least half a season, and in the few games before we signed those 2 Hendrick, Hanson and Thorne all had to go off due to injuries, and Baird was playing RB in most of the games. It would have been naive at best not to sign at least 1 more midfielder. We signed 2 due to the injuries we received the season before and already by that point of the season.

I'd be happy to sell Hendrick, at a decent price.

He lacks a footballing brain, and goes missing months at a time. The saving grace is that he'll do something once a month that makes you think he still can make it at the top level.

He's miles behind the likes of Hughes and Thorne. For me, even Bryson and Butterfield. 

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Hendrick suffered from us throwing 11 million at butterfield and Johnson and if we went up he would be the sort of premiership type of player we would need.

How did he suffer? He was no better before they arrived and if he had something about him he would have raised his game after their arrival to prove his worth. Barring a couple of games at the end of the season he didn't.

He has certain attributes which makes his contribution over a season even more frustrating!

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be happy to sell Hendrick, at a decent price.

He lacks a footballing brain, and goes missing months at a time. The saving grace is that he'll do something once a month that makes you think he still can make it at the top level.

He's miles behind the likes of Hughes and Thorne. For me, even Bryson and Butterfield. 

I don't agree. I think he does have a football brain, he just doesn't seem to know how to play to his strengths. A lot of his passes don't come off because he doesn't seem to know his own passing range. A lot of his shots don't come off because he doesn't seem to know his shooting ability. His decision making is spot on, it's the execution that's off.

I think he needs the right coaching. He needs someone to help him understand what type of player he is and help him do the role that suits his abilities. Sometimes he's been down as a holding mid, sometimes he's been down as a box-to-box man, sometimes hes been down as a wide midfielder, sometimes hes been down as a playmaker passer.

He's got a brain, he's got ability. Once he has the eureka moment and marries the two and finds his feet he'll really step up I feel.

If we do go for a 4-4-2 then we well and truly blew £10m last summer. I would prefer Thorne and Hendrick to be the two in the middle with Hughes playing behind Martin. More of a free role for Hughes to be honest. Pearson has got many tough decisions to make over the coming weeks. 

42 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

If we do go for a 4-4-2 then we well and truly blew £10m last summer. I would prefer Thorne and Hendrick to be the two in the middle with Hughes playing behind Martin. More of a free role for Hughes to be honest. Pearson has got many tough decisions to make over the coming weeks. 

It is an over-simplification to say that we 'blew' £10 million, because the two players were  like-for-like replacements for the two midfielders who both suffered serious injuries in the first 30 minutes of the first game.

To do anything other than sign replacements would have been to write the entire season off .before it had begun.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

It is an over-simplification to say that we 'blew' £10 million, because the two players were  like-for-like replacements for the two midfielders who both suffered serious injuries in the first 30 minutes of the first game.

To do anything other than sign replacements would have been to write the entire season off .before it had begun.

It's more than an over-simplification. Take Butterfield and Johnson's goals out of last season (particularly Butters') and we'd have finished about tenth. Take Hendrick's contribution full stop, out of last season and the difference would have been negligible. 

He's a fantastic footballer. Sometimes. And those times aren't often enough at this level. For anyone to suggest he's capable in the top flight is ludicrous. He looked great for Eire the other day. Today? Back to the Jeff we see 9 times out of 10. 

He's by far the easiest midfielder to move on without affecting us. Then Bryson. 

That said, if Pearson can get Jeff's best game out, regularly, he'd be a shoe-in for top flight football. Big if though. 

16 hours ago, Tombo said:

I don't agree. I think he does have a football brain, he just doesn't seem to know how to play to his strengths. A lot of his passes don't come off because he doesn't seem to know his own passing range. A lot of his shots don't come off because he doesn't seem to know his shooting ability. His decision making is spot on, it's the execution that's off.

I think he needs the right coaching. He needs someone to help him understand what type of player he is and help him do the role that suits his abilities. Sometimes he's been down as a holding mid, sometimes he's been down as a box-to-box man, sometimes hes been down as a wide midfielder, sometimes hes been down as a playmaker passer.

He's got a brain, he's got ability. Once he has the eureka moment and marries the two and finds his feet he'll really step up I feel.

There's every chance I've misunderstood your point but how can his decision making be spot on if he's trying to do things he can't actually do and doesn't know his limitations? That would surely imply his decision making is terrible?

Someone with a footballing brain would know their limitations and then play to them in a way that it hides them.

I'd even go as far as saying that in terms of technical ability, Jeff is a better player than Hughes. Unfortunately for Jeff, he has the tactical brain of a lower league player whilst Hughes is probably the best player tactically for his age in the country and therefore plays in a way that reflects that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hendrick go soon. He's having a good summer, which is adding to his value. 

It looks highly likely that we'll have to sell in order to generate the FFP room to bring anyone of quality in. We're overmanned in midfield and selling Butterfield or Johnson won't generate any surplus as any fee will just be used to settle their book value. I doubt that Hanson would generate too much cash, and Bryson is probably not going to attract too much attention as he's getting on a bit and had injury problems last season. That just leaves Hughes or Hendrick. Hughes' value is probably down a little after his injury, but Hendrick is probably at his peak. IMO Hughes is also a far better player than Hendrick.

Logically then, it will be Jeff who departs. Of course others might go as well, but that'll be more to do with Pearson not rating them than the need to generate FFP room.

Been thinking for ages on a response to this thread, so much to say and so little space to say it!

I think the answer is definitely dependent on the reason for the sale - change of formation, FFP, furtherance of career being the main considerations.

Anyway, will try and summarise my thoughts:-

Thorne - great player, best defensive midfielder, least adaptable to new system, maybe one more injury away from having no resale value.

Hanson - the face of the academy at the moment, versatile, uncovered potential possible, potential increase in resale value

Hughes - our best player by a mile, could and all of our FFP fears, may fancy a shot at the big time

Johnson - showed what he is capable of, although technically is probably our worst midfielder, big financial hit if we sold (although wages savings to be offset), the sort of player I think Pearson would bring the best put of, goal return could be crucial

Hendrick - his display for ROI showed what he is about on his day, too inconsistent, Hull away showed he is capable of playing different roles, obvious sell on value given a good Euros

Butterfield - tidy player, was bought as a temporary replacement for Hughes and don't see them in the same team, think we would get most of our £4m back for him

Bryson - essential if we are to stick with Martin front man system, reaching the age where his value is not going to increase, showed before that he may be willing to leave for a higher level (feel as though his chance has passed him by)

Taking all of the above into account and, if unlikely to be a regular starter, I think Butterfield would be my choice if we had to sell one.

9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Nick blackmen

Bradly johnson

Tom ince if west ham for 6m preatty please

Chris bird just offer him on a free

Sell all those and you want us to take a punt on Matt Derbyshire? :huh:

Archived