Which midfielder would you sell this summer?

Bris Vegas

Not sure why so many have written off Hendrick. He does frustrate me as he lacks consistency but when he's good, he's excellent.  I thought he was absolutely immense in the last Hull game and if Pearson can find a way to unlock more of those types of performance, we'd have an absolute gem on our hands. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

With all those faults?

Have we managed to offload our recruitment team to another club?

I think he's generally very overrated, including by most of our own fans. Plenty of Championship/lower Premiership teams have lots of money but not much sense.

Don't reckon we would have paid 6 mill had we not been desperate given the first day disaster so I'm not sure we can hand out too much stick 

Where was all this stick that Johnson was getting when he first signed? The first 4 months he was here? He has 3 months where he, along with the rest of the team, struggled and all of a sudden Johnson becomes **** and the scapegoat. ???

Probably the price tag that's made him stand out a bit more in people's eyes when he s gone off the boil a bit 

5 hours ago, Dcfc10 said:

Bradley johnson he's been s.... in most games last season. how many more is he going to get away with. 0 under pearson. 6m who put that value on him steve wonder.

I had a word with Stevie about this and he said don't be Uptight; Everythings Alright.

i think consistency is what we should be focusing on.  If Pearson can bring that to the squad as a whole we will have moved far in the direction of where we want to be.  He will assess what other qualities he requires from the midfielders and take it from there.  For most it should be a clean slate, a new start with an opportunity to impress on a consistent basis. 

I agree that consistency will be the key. Let's face it, last season was probably seen as poor by 99% of us. However, we finished 5th, 3 places above last year. We were brysons shin away from the play off final, if he'd scored that we'd have gone on to win against hull I reckon. There were probably only around 4 really poor performances last year, Hull 1st leg being the stand out game. Let's not forget we spanked Hull 3 times and they got promoted.

a fresh manager that has experience and an experienced number two also. We have the squad to do it they just need to believe and achieve their dream. One or 2 quality signings and some consistency and this team can win this league.

Hughes - I think the last few games just highlighted how much he's developing. Intellectually, he's in his own little world. He does things that top, top players can only muster. It's not the wonder goals or the bits for the highlight reel. It's the tackles, the passes, the movement... everything. I'd not stand in his way if he wants to go, but I'd do everything to keep him here. 

Thorne - I just hope he can get fit before the start of the season. Like Hughes, he's intellectually superior to those at this level. It's a shame they haven't played together that often.

Butterfield - talented, skillful and capable of goals in midfield. I think he will be in for a lot more game time now Powell is at the club. He rated him as one of the best in the division. I do hope he gets the chance to show it. 

Bryson - I don't see why anyone would want to move him on. If we got a great offer for him, then I wouldn't stand in his way, but I'd not actively look to sell him. 

Johnson - It's hard to say. He's technically not very good, and I think his fitness last season, well, after he had been here a few months, was awful. If he can get back up to peak fitness, he can be the player we bought. I'd not take a huge loss, but I wouldn't stand in his way should an offer come his way.

Hendrick - *see Henri Lansbury for details. In all seriousness, he's a highlight reel player. He does some outstanding things, but tends to go missing for minutes on end. I personally would sell him, but again only if an offer comes in. 

In summary, I wouldn't necessarily sell any without a decent offer. The top three, however, are the players I'd look to build around.  

Good question, @Bris Vegas.

Hughes - only extremely silly offer would be enough.

Thorne - If we change to 4-4-2, he might struggle. Let's wait and see how he manages to get fit this time.

Hendrick - he's the weird one. If we continue with 4-3-3, he would be the one I'd sell. But 4-4-2 might suit him better. Funny old game this football. First and foremost I'd try to mould him to a winger, no matter what tactics we will have.

Bryson - silly money only

Butters - back up to Hughes, so if we got our money back, I'd sell. Like him a lot though.

BJ - we paid silly money and after season he had, we wouldn't get anywhere near those figures selling him. So keep him for now and hopefully we'll see better Johnson next season.

On 7 June 2016 at 11:28, Leicester Ram said:

Other than Hughes, I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Whoever's sold, you can justify selling them and we'll still be left with some great CM's, I completely back whoever Pearson gets rid of.

I thought this was a very reasonable post (well, it still is) at the time but I feel differently now. Sell Bryson and Johnson while they're still worth something, bring in Matty James and keep the midfield young.

Hendrick/James and Hughes/Butterfield further upfield.

Thorne/Hanson at DM, with Hendrick and James both being able to cover if Hanson isn't considered up for it.

Lovely stuff, I could do Sam Rush's job without any fuss.

4 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I thought this was a very reasonable post (well, it still is) at the time but I feel differently now. Sell Bryson and Johnson while they're still worth something, bring in Matty James and keep the midfield young.

Hendrick/James and Hughes/Butterfield further upfield.

Thorne/Hanson at DM, with Hendrick and James both being able to cover if Hanson isn't considered up for it.

Lovely stuff, I could do Sam Rush's job without any fuss.

Negotiating with agents? I'd rather bang my head against the wall..

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7200193/Jeff-Hendrick-attracting-interest-from-Premier-League-clubs.html

IRELAND midfielder Jeff Hendrick will spark a bidding war between Premier League clubs if he continues to shine at Euro 2016.

Hendrick was one of Ireland’s best performers in Monday’s 1-1 draw with Sweden at the Stade de France, forcing three good saves out of Andreas Isaksson and also rattling the crossbar.

SunSport has learned that clubs from Manchester United down are keeping tabs on the Derby County man.

It is thought to be a long shot that United boss Jose Mourinho will make a move but his scouts are impressed.

Everton have also watched the 24-year-old over the past year.

It is unclear whether they will follow up, with Ronald Koeman replacing Roberto Martinez as gaffer yesterday.

Most of the clubs in the lower half of the top flight are keen on a player who has spent his entire career at Derby.

Newcastle United and Aston Villa were both trying to sign the player last summer but the Rams were unwilling to let him go.

And a host of clubs are set to have him watched in the games against Belgium and Italy to see if he can maintain his level of performance.

In the right team, Hendrick could be a star. Not even a definite starter for us next year.If he repeats his level of performance, take £10 million and a percentage of resale fee. Frighteningly, £10 million is not a big fee for a Premier Club to pay, even when taking a gamble.

I'd agree. Many part's of Jeff's game are better suited to a higher level than the championship. I have often thought he has many elements of Frank Lampard to his game. It may be a rare example of where we are actually holding a player back and he is not best suited to how we want to play. However Nigel may want us to play a different way and a midfield 2 of Will and Jeff could be unstoppable if coached effectively.

A nice problem to have......

I honestly feel that our best central midfielders are the ones we had 18 months ago, I also feel we wouldn't of even signed Butterfield or Johnson if it wasn't for Hughes and Brysons injuries. I think a lot depends on how Pearson will want to set up and how we play, but in a 433 I certainly would take Hendrick and Hughes over BJ and Butterfield.

Archived