Which midfielder would you sell this summer?

Bris Vegas

9 hours ago, irobinson said:

let Mr Pearson decide...thats why we hired him!!!!

Mel missed a trick here, he did not need to hire Pearson. He should have just set up an internet polling system on the club website, fans could pick the signings, team, kit, subs, etc. 

Then we could all boooooo ourselves when it went tits up!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the perfect world, get the £6m back for Johnson. Not going to happen though.

Past Johnson it has to be Hendrick. I know hes been around for ages and hes become a proper Derby player, but has he really improved in the past two seasons? Time to cash in now whilst hes still young and hopefully off the back of a good Euro 2016 to inflate the price.

Really surprised by people wanting to move Butterfield on, thought he was fantastic all season whilst Hughes and Bryson were out, can move the ball well and always feel like he could score.

We need two powerhouses in midfield or certainly on the books. We only have one, that is Johnson and he is out of form. I think that Pearson will get more out of him very quickly. One more very hard tackling midfielder is needed who can dominate strong midfielders in the opposing teams.

8 hours ago, needles said:

Best player at the club. If you're a Hughes fan and you want to see him gracing the Prem, fine, but we're Derby fans and want to see him gracing the iPro surely?

Would agree with all that. But if I were him, if a decent premier league team came in for him..... I would be thinking of advancing my career further at a different club to Derby.

To sell, it's either Bryson or Hendrick. Not because I particularly want either to go but because we probably take a huge hit on Johnson.

Hughes goes if he wants, stays if he wants.

Butters, I'd definitely say keep. At the very least the only player close to being a Hughes back up, skilled, able to take shot...and....had his best season as a 4-4-2 man. I remember when he came in it was said give him time to adapt. Clement adapted him to pass it sideways and back!

Ultimately, I don't want any of them out, but would take a sale where we got a good deal over getting X or y sold.

I would have a good deal of faith in Pearson getting more out of Johnson and the rest.

15 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We need two powerhouses in midfield or certainly on the books. We only have one, that is Johnson and he is out of form. I think that Pearson will get more out of him very quickly. One more very hard tackling midfielder is needed who can dominate strong midfielders in the opposing teams.

Apart from how broad he looks, what have you seen from Johnson that makes you think he's a 'powerhouse'? His tackling isn't great, and his first touch, decision making and passing are even worse. I agree - we need a ball winner, though.

I can't believe people want to sell Hughes, when he has given no indication he wants to leave. As far as I see it - this is his club. He's the sort of midfielder now, that given a full season, will consistently change games. When Will gets on the ball, we don't panic like we do when Johnson does, and his decision making and distribution are first rate. 

Also, if Pearson is so great at switching attitudes and coaching the mental game, as well as developing a team spirit, do we not want to keep hold of our technically more gifted midfielders (i.e Hughes, Hendrick, Butterfield)? Add that to an engine (Bryson), and ball winners (Thorne and New Signing) and you have a Chmapionship winning midfield with the right coaching. No space for anyone else - in my opinion. 

The whole thread is a none starter for me.

You are all basing this on last year under two different managers who have now gone/returned to normal duties.

Players for some reason tend to perform or under-perform with a new manager in charge.

Any sensible manager will assess his team, in this case during the friendlies and see who really wants to p[lay for him and the club.

I doubt Mr Pearson will just get rid based on say here or from performances last year.

He will make his own mind up. As for Hendrick (WHICH BASED ON LAST YEAR) yes maybe the one to go, however he might just be the guts that Pearson might be looking for.

None of them.

Thorne will still be injured for the start of the season and knowing our luck we'll lose at least one more through injury in pre season.

The new manager needs to assess each player himself.

We will not get a decent price for any of them bar Hughes, who absolutely must not be sold.

They should simply all be told that they have to fight for a place in the team and whoever is bottom of the pecking order at Christmas can go out on loan for the remainder of the season.

11 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

Could we ditch the wingers completely? Play two up top - Martin and a quick striker (i.e Kodjia, Wells etc.). Then Ince at the top of the diamond behind the front two with a three man midfield playing across behind him (any of Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Butterfield or Thorne). That way it's not a huge variance to our build up play and dominance in the middle, and Christie/De Laet and Olsson/Forsyth can get forward and create a little more - they're all more than competent at it! Would still look to sell Johnson though, and potentially bring in James if playing such a style. Could setup like so:-

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Forsyth

Thorne       

Bryson            Hughes

Ince

Martin       Kodjia/Wells

I like this.Can we bring Francesco Biano back to play in the hole please.

Hendrick's inconsistency is on a par with your average winger. Dazzling one match then anonymous the next. The problem - of course - is that a winger struggling to get into a match can be carried by the team. A central midfielder, though, is much harder to cover for. Hendrick is as frustrating as they come. We all know what he's capable of but he simply doesn't do it enough and in my opinion we'd be better off with a consistent 7/10 player than someone who is a 9 one match and 4 the next.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We tried something very similar opening day last season and lost Will and Bryson in the first half so we never really got chance to develop it.

It needs a huge amount of development if it's going to be any use to us. We tried it a few times at the start of last season and it looked absolutely dreadful. I know we lost two players in the game against Bolton, but we got absolutely battered and Bolton were unlucky not to win.

Lots of variables at play here but as it stands for me it comes down to which ones would be able to perform in the Premiership and we should keep and use and for me that would be Hughes Thorne and hendrick and dependant on style Bryson so I would move on Johnson if we could get our Money back which we won't so we are stuck with him and butterfield who can ping a shot from distance which is a positive but generally he doesn't get around the pitch or seem to put as many tackles in as others can do or contribute if the ball is in the air, and while Hughes is around he is not needed and generally won't get a game. ( is Ince a midfielder or a forward? I would move him on if we got the right money as I just think as a team we would just click, and yes I know he can score goals and at times make opportunity for others)

I might get lynched for this but I'd look to get our money back on, not only Johnson (highly unlikely I know...), but Butterfield as well.  Don't get me wrong, he's a tidy enough player but whenever I see him play he has two touches more than everyone else, slowing us down.  Also, his decision making can let him down, when he gets into good positions.  I know he's capable of bagging a few goals but so is Bryson and Hendrick, and I don't think there's a big difference between the three of them.

I'd Keep - Hughes/Hendrick/Bryson/Thorne

I'd Sell - Butterfield/Johnson

I'd Buy - Jordan Cousins

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Hendrick could and should be filling that role. He has all the attributes except probably the most important one - consistency and for that reason I would move him out and bring in someone who can deliver on a 4 games in 5 basis.

I hoped it would be Hendrick but now accept that it isn't  and more than likely never will be 

3 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Hendrick's inconsistency is on a par with your average winger. Dazzling one match then anonymous the next. The problem - of course - is that a winger struggling to get into a match can be carried by the team. A central midfielder, though, is much harder to cover for. Hendrick is as frustrating as they come. We all know what he's capable of but he simply doesn't do it enough and in my opinion we'd be better off with a consistent 7/10 player than someone who is a 9 one match and 4 the next.

I think inconsistency is particularly harsh. With Hendrick he's the one midfielder who will try something different to unlock a defence so will try riskier ways to attack, what you see is that he will lose a football more or less in final third more than anything else. Very rarely see Jeff lose the football anywhere else.

I'd keep Hughes, Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson. I still think Johnson has a lot to prove and who better to get it out of him than Nigel Pearson.

And as much as I like him, I'd sell Hendrick because he only turns up in big games and I'd sell Thorne depending on how important the defensive midfield role is next season. 

If we are to bring in another centre midfielder then he has to have the quality to be in the starting 11 week in, week out and be complentary to Hughes.

Archived