Which midfielder would you sell this summer?

Bris Vegas

I've been told one is likely to be sold this summer. Perhaps if Nigel Pearson goes 4-4-2 then six into two simply doesn't go, or with speculation of Matty James or any other midfielder than surely one must go before another comes in.

So which one would you sell and why?

- Will Hughes: Likely to fetch the most money

- George Thorne: Our best holding midfielder, but perhaps doens't fit into a midfield two if we go 4-4-2

- Jeff Hendrick: Would he be a regular even in a 4-3-3?

- Craig Bryson: Most energetic of the lot... But perhaps one we could get a moderate fee for

- Jacob Butterfield: Our best scoring midfielder last season, but often out of favour for some reason

- Bradley Johnson: Record signing, but doesn't really fit... Could well sell him only 12 months on? Would be my choice.

A poll would be good!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Bit like you congratulations Wassall ;) 

Wassall deserved congratulations. Not sure why that's relevant here.

If Jeff Hendrick wasn't so much better than Bradley Johnson in the playoffs I may have thought differently. The only three I definitely want us to keep are Thorne, Hughes and Butterfield.

It's hard to gauge as each will be a different player under NP.

Hughes is due a fit and firing on all cylinders season and a player of his ability on form is necessary if we're going to mix it with Newcastle and Norwich rather than settle for the playoffs.

Thorne won't be going anywhere due to fitness, and regardless of formation is classy enough to slot in, we might even see more from him. 

Hendrick might just hit form and find consistency under NP, especially if the court case goes away and he has a decent Euros, but in fairness he'd be the one out the door for me.  Would get a decent fee and if he hasn't flourished/improved much under the last 4 managers he probably won't now,

Bryson is somewhat mercurial but always goes awol in big games and never strings enough matches together for me and at his age and with our ambition I think it may be time to cash in. Wouldn't stand in his way.

Butterfield I'd definitely see as one of our group of central midfielders for a good time to come, he has more potential than he's been allowed to show.  

Johnson could be an immense player next season under NP, I wouldn't cut our losses just yet, if he doesn't pull up trees I'd sell on next summer though.  

Hendrick would probably work well in a 4-4-2 but he'd be my choice if one is to go. On his day he's incredible, but sadly 'his day' only comes around once or twice every few months. Thorne and Hughes must stay unless they ask to leave. Butterfield scored a nice chunk of goals last season despite being dropped to the bench regularly and now he has Powell to work with again so I'd definitely keep him. Bryson is the engine we need so I'd keep him and I think Johnson deserves another chance. If we do play 4-4-2 under Pearson, Johnson can play in both central midfield and on the left like he did at Norwich.

Looking all all 'facts' if that is what hey are,

Powell will rate Butterfield after seeing him at his best at Huddersfield, but we don't know how Butterfield was when he was trying to leave Huddersfield, did he rub Powell up the wrong way? All I know is, if a manager can find the right position for Butterfield, he is capable of being one of the best flair players in the championship. He potentially reminds me of Wes hoolahan at Norwich, just behind the striker.

Hendrick has the potential to be epic, but I think he needs to go to a prem club, fresh start with pressure. We see too little of his ability.

Thorne is a no go due to injury, nothing else.

Bryson is a no go, I wouldnt accept 15 million for him, only because a fully fit Bryson over a season is a scary prospect to a club not needing money.

Will Hughes, I will cry, literally cry if he plays for Derby first game of September, he is one of the best players I have seen pull on a Derby shirt. 

Bradley Johnson, his record for Norwich does not lie, he is a top championship midfielder, we wouldn't get half what we paid for him, I can imagine him being one of those Pearson type of players like MattOakley was.

Hendrick for me would be the one to go.

If the play off semi final second leg wasn't at the forefront of my mind it would be an easy decision! Having said all that I still think I'd let Jeff go ! When he's good he's good but what that 2 -3 times a season at best . 

Hughes and Butterfield are similar in the way they play and probably couldn't play together in a midfield 2 but you need the depth . 

Personally my proffered midfield 2 would be hughes and bryson . I think the 2 would compliment each other no end . 

Regarding johnson , there's a top player in there , I think some of the cristicm this year has been harsh , he's had poor moments but also shown some quality and popped up with some goals .

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Jeff Hendrick wasn't so much better than Bradley Johnson in the playoffs I may have thought differently. The only three I definitely want us to keep are Thorne, Hughes and Butterfield.

Two or hree days before Nigel Pearson was announced as manager, you were having us believe that you had inside information that the job was Wassall's.

All DEL is doing is suggesting that your contacts may not quite be as reliable as you would like them to be.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Two or hree days before Nigel Pearson was announced as manager, you were having us believe that you had inside information that the job was Wassall's.

All DEL is doing is suggesting that your contacts may not quite be as reliable as you would like them to be.

Well for me out of the lot of them I'd probably be inclined to say johnson. Just because overall he seems a little too slow to really fit into a quick passing team. 

Technically wise, Hughes and Butterfield are the most gifted I think and I'd keep these two no matter what. Thorne, hasn't quite been the player consistently as we know he can be and he has rotten luck with injuries but I think you have to keep him because he is top class.

Bryson offers us something different so I'd keep him but I feel next season will probably be his last with us, promotion or not. Hendrick is a player where sometimes I would happily sell him but then he goes and puts in a performance like he did against Hull in the second leg and he makes me remember what we all know he can do. 

So at the moment I'd be leaning with selling Johnson, but can't see it happening, we spent a lot on him and I think we'd probably only get half of that back if that. 

Hughes/Bryson - Free role..
Thorne/Hendrick - Sitting role.

Johnson on the left, his more suited position.

Butterfield will be the one less likely to impress, though Chrissy Powell knows how to get the better out of him, it seems.

Wouldn't sell any tbh.. With our track record on injuries too.

Hendrick for sure. I think Johnson is the worst midfielder we have, but I don't really want to sell him at a loss and feel like Pearson could improve him. That being said look at how Norwich got rid of him, he's clearly not cut out for the Premier League.

But Hendrick hasn't done the business for a long time. He's got such a tendency to be anonymous in games, isn't strong and isn't particularly good defensively or going forward. Plus I think we could get a good fee for him.

Archived