Derby County v Hull City

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was actually really difficult to get so many players to play so badly, all on the same day.

Possible causes:-

!. Reaction to Thorne injury

2. Too tired after Ipswich game

3. Did not believe that they could win today, if they lost the first goal

Conclusion:- Combination of factors - 

1. 29.3%

2. 19.4%

3. 51.3%

Wassell u f...... it up playin johnson in midfield. When he bin out 6 week he cant play when fully fit. Subs that u made and last week against ipswich. Go back to the u21s . And take some of the clowns with ya.

Don't worry everyone, Mel always has a plan. He never fails.

Rafa Benitez will replace Harry as football adviser. He knows what it takes to overturn 3-goal deficits in big matches after all.

But, be warned, there's a break clause in his contract if Hull score in the first ten minutes or Ivan Calero's pre-match gazpacho is not up to scratch.

15 minutes where we looked keen but then total flops. I was wrong in wanting Hughsey at DM to pull strings. He was so deep he couldn't influence much and was the only player today that showed some quality. 

What were we doing lumping balls up to Johnson and defending on the edge of the box ? They out organised us, out fought us in just about every department. Sure some flicks and touches didn't go our way and they got some deflections but none of that excuses poor inflexible tactics woeful touches and decision making all over the pitch. That ironic cheer for Butterields shot just about summed it all up. 

Gloomy 

PistoldPete2
26 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

That was an absolute disgrace.

You can blame Wassall to a point, and he was definitely beaten tactically today. But a lot of the blame has to go on the players.

The lack of a brain on some of them is really astonishing. Ince, Russell and Blackman completely floated around today. Maybe you could excuse Johnson because he's unfit but he was appalling also.

Shackell is a total donkey, as are our fullbacks.

Why do we keep crossing the ball as well? We have nobody who is dominant in the air. Need to focus on our strengths which is getting it into Martin's feet for him to release some runners, passing the ball short and creating chances for Bryson, Hughes or Butterfield. Also might have been a case to start Baird, at least he'd have done the job required and sat in front of the defence. We gave Hull too much space in midfield today.

One consolation is that at least we're not Brighton fans, although arguably they're still in the game. We're not. Hull will simply shut us down at their place. 

Tbf I thought shackell played well ... Unlucky with the deflection obviously. We clearly missed thorne and Johnson did not look fit, although he's played badly before when he has been fit. The front three are as a combination too lightweight against defenders as strong as the hull pair. But to be fair they need better service... We were playing hoofball at times which played into their hands.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It was actually really difficult to get so many players to play so badly, all on the same day.

Possible causes:-

!. Reaction to Thorne injury

2. Too tired after Ipswich game

3. Did not believe that they could win today, if they lost the first goal

Conclusion:- Combination of factors - 

1. 29.3%

2. 19.4%

3. 51.3%

We are crap-100%

If you wonder how I can be so accurate with these percentages, it is because i have had an upgrade on my RampageReasonsCalculator software to version RampageReasonsCalculator 3.6.

it works with BayWindows 10 (get one window free) :ermm:

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Tbf I thought shackell played well ... Unlucky with the deflection obviously. We clearly missed thorne and Johnson did not look fit, although he's played badly before when he has been fit. The front three are as a combination too lightweight against defenders as strong as the hull pair. But to be fair they need better service... We were playing hoofball at times which played into their hands.

I think Shackell made bad mistakes for the first two goals. Hernandez' one he definitely did something wrong. Yeah you could say he was a bit unlucky on the OG but he shouldn't have turned away like that, duck and it goes straight at Carson or stand strong and clear it.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

15 minutes where we looked keen but then total flops. I was wrong in wanting Hughsey at DM to pull strings. He was so deep he couldn't influence much and was the only player today that showed some quality. 

What were we doing lumping balls up to Johnson and defending on the edge of the box ? They out organised us, out fought us in just about every department. Sure some flicks and touches didn't go our way and they got some deflections but none of that excuses poor inflexible tactics woeful touches and decision making all over the pitch. That ironic cheer for Butterields shot just about summed it all up. 

Gloomy 

That was the noisiest we got in the whole of the 2nd half. Players didn't seem like they wanted it how can you get behind that. 

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If you wonder how I can be so accurate with these percentages, it is because i have had an upgrade on my RampageReasonsCalculator software to version RampageReasonsCalculator 3.6.

it works with BayWindows 10 (get one window free) :ermm:

Stop trying to make me smile, I am quite content to wallow in my abject misery right now.

Just come home. Did I miss anything?

What was the score?

Poor performance today. Reminded me of Cardiff. Hopefully we can go out for the second leg and show some fight and a better performance.

4-0 anyone? Martin owes us a hat-trick

Absolutely *****. Completely agree with the commentary team as well - we don't lack technical ability (well most players don't), but we are seriously mentally fragile lacking any real desire. Need a bit of a clear out:

Sell Johnson, Blackman, Buxton, Roos, Baird, Warnock, Albentosa, Weimann, Grant - potentially even Hendrick.

Then we buy in players with the right attitude - the desire shown by teams like Bournemouth and Wednesday. Players who have fight and technical ability - hard to come by, admittedly. What we shouldn't do is waste money on square pegs for round holes.

We need a new back-up GK, although Carson has been our best player all season in my opinion. Possibly a young centre back to fill in on the bench. Then we desperately need a ball winning holding midfielder, and a good one, not a back up. A new striker to compete with Martin, of the same quality if not better. Martin is too complacent and lazy, but shouldn't be sold as he fits the sides style. We need some new out and out wingers. O'Dowda looks a good prospect and another quality winger might not be a bad idea.

Most importantly, we need a new manager who has the ability to manage this side in our style and who can pick the players up and keep them on side.

"The result today had nothing to do with the selection". A pretty typical Darren Wassall statement, before going on to say it was right to keep Hughes as CDM throughout the game and not to bring Bent on until right at the very end in case we got injuries.

It's desperatey sad that Wassall's star has been so badly tarnished by his run with the first team. As soon as Morris thrust him into the limelight, I said it was ill-conceived and would almost certainly result in losing Wassall from the club at the end of the season, which would be a big loss from the Academy. Having had a taste of management I will be surprised if he's prepared to go back to the U21s, but I hope he does.

He's out of his depth at first team level. I'm sure he's a great football guy and must be gutted by the result. Of course he's made extremely costly mistakes in the run-up to today that hampered our chances, but today it was pretty obviously wrong to:

• pick an unfit Johnson and then play him in an advanced midfield position
  • not swap Hughes and Johnson round in the first half after we conceded the opening goal
  • bring Blackman on and leave Bent on the bench when we needed goals (remind me again how many Blackman's ever scored for us)

It was probably wrong to:

• pick Blackman on the bench ahead of Weimann who does actually score goals for us
  • bring Butterfield on at that stage in the match, forcing Hughes to remain defensive, instead of either changing the shape or even bringing on Baird to get Hughes higher up the pitch

But all that said, the players on the field were dreadful too. Hughes and Christie started well, but everything fizzled out after they scored. Bryson was on a high when he first broke back into the team after the long inury, but I think the long time out has caught up with him. It's a footballing miracle that Hull always put 3 players on Ince and 2 on Russell when they had the ball, yet we never found any space elsewhere on the pitch. Men against boys.

Sadly watching the game with beer in hand has somehow sobered me up. I'm going out to drown my sorrows.

Archived