Derby County v Hull City

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Clement was obviously not a bad coach or person. If he was he would have been eaten alive and not respected by the likes of Ronaldo and Ibra who aren't afraid to say it as it is. In contrast, both have nothing but admiration for Clement as do other players like Terry and David Beckham. Looking in from the outside it seemed that the derby players were not good enough or determined enough to reach Clement's high standards.

He might have the respect of those little known players.. but he's not had to deal with characters like Chris Martin or Jason Shackell before this season.... 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not over. Nearly but not completely over. In the second leg we need a radical improvement and an early goal. An off day from Hull may be necessary as well. But I've had time to calm down a bit and I'll try to remain optimistic - but the stat showing Hull had 2 shots on target and won 3-0 is so Derby County it's unbelievable. Time for the players to pick themselves up and show something more than they have done so far. 

Give us a C, give us an R, give us an A, give us a P.   But I'll still be there for the second leg willing us to win 4-0

Fat Bruce can say what he likes

Bit of a bitter rant coming on but this podgy c*** has spent a fortune on this Hull team and yet the media never mention it, preferring to mock us and Boro for our spending. 

We've spent a lot of money on dross there's no getting away from that, but Hull came down with arguably the most expensive squad in this league, some top talent and they've struggled like us.

I hope to god Sheff weds or Brighton do em in the final because their a dull club with a dull manager. Sheff Weds would be decent, spend some money and actually attempt to stay up, whereas Hull and Burnley will just come back down and collect their money thank you very much. That's what really winds me up about failing to go up at the expense of those 2, both do absolutely nothing when they get up there, yet seem to get all the b****** luck in the world in making it. 

A huge disappointment result wise, an insipid performance which I don't think many of us was expecting, but what really angered me today was the Wassall post-match interview. I would at least have had some respect for the bloke had he gone some way to conceding that his set up with Will playing deep and Johnson further forward was flawed. But no.

It'll be disappointing to be still playing Championship football again next season (barring a miracle) but we need to start it with a manager in charge who is tactically competent at the very least because Wassall certainly falls well short of that requirement!

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Clement was obviously not a bad coach or person. If he was he would have been eaten alive and not respected by the likes of Ronaldo and Ibra who aren't afraid to say it as it is. In contrast, both have nothing but admiration for Clement as do other players like Terry and David Beckham. Looking in from the outside it seemed that the derby players were not good enough or determined enough to reach Clement's high standards.

I would suggest that you know little about management. The art of good management is to get the best out of what you've got. Not to expect championship players to play like Real Madrid. Poor management at his first attempt. Not a bad bloke I'm sure and may learn from this experience and eventually become a good manager, just not in this division. 

39 minutes ago, McLovin said:

In what sense? Steve Bruce said after that game that he knew exactly how we would play which made it easy for the Hull players. Say what you want about Clement but at the start he tried different formations to stop us from being predictable like today.

Bruce didn't say that at all.

He said it surprised him that Derby went direct to Martin much quicker than normal but that played into their two centre halfs hands.

The long diagonals didn't work and should have been cut out, especially when it was Jason "untouchable" Shackell playing them.

A toss up today who was the biggest liability, him or the 6m pound superstar Bradley..

As for Clement trying different formations early on, it was the no wins in 5 that cost Derby the chance of the autos. He was woefully out of his depth and confused the players. If he gets another job in the top two divisions, he'll prove me right.

Not a manager and never will be..

3 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I would suggest that you know little about management. The art of good management is to get the best out of what you've got. Not to expect championship players to play like Real Madrid. Poor management at his first attempt. Not a bad bloke I'm sure and may learn from this experience and eventually become a good manager, just not in this division. 

He wasnt expecting them to play like Real Madrid but at least show the same kind of commitment and hunger. That's one one of the reasons Clement really liked Hughes and Bryson, because they showed the ambiton and willingness to improve. Wouldn't say that he failed when he only lost a handful of games here and was top of the league at one point. Think the style of play got him sacked more than the results. 

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Bruce didn't say that at all.

He said it surprised him that Derby went direct to Martin much quicker than normal but that played into their two centre halfs hands.

The long diagonals didn't work and should have been cut out, especially when it was Jason "untouchable" Shackell playing them.

A toss up today who was the biggest liability, him or the 6m pound superstar Bradley..

As for Clement trying different formations early on, it was the no wins in 5 that cost Derby the chance of the autos. He was woefully out of his depth and confused the players. If he gets another job in the top two divisions, he'll prove me right.

Not a manager and never will be..

It wasn't Clement's first couple of games that cost us because dont forget we lost our 2 best midfielders in the first game. It's the results against the likes of Rotherham and Wolves which cost us more. Easy to blame Clement when he is gone. If he confused the players then what on earth did Wassall do with them today? Can't blame Clement for today's game. When we lost under Clement, it was his fault but when we lose under Wassall its the players let him down.

PistoldPete2

Ratings...

carson 4 hull had 3 shots on target and scored 3 goals. I think both teams could have played without a keeper and it would have made no difference to the score. Distribution poor.

christie 5 good going forward not so degensively

Olson 3  as for christie except no good going forward either

shackell 7 good clearances unlucky with deflection

keogh 6 one or two heart in mouth moments, but otherwise ok.

johnson 0 oh dear!

hughes 5 did nothing wrong but couldn't galvanise a lacklustre team. Not one of his better games

Bryson 3 headless chicken

russell 4 as for Bryson except at least he ran with the ball even if it was mostly sideways.

Martin 6 not bad , but like most of our forwards he would need to grow six inches to deal with most of the balls played to him.

ince 3 lightweight , poor tracking back and ineffective up front. Wasteful with corners. Don't we have anyone else who can take them, hughes , Bryson anyone but ince. 

Wassall 5 nothing he could do really maybe bent on earlier and weimann on the bench instead of Blackman. 

PistoldPete2
13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The Clement thing seemed to be a weird "you're free to do it any way you want, as long as it's my way" - i think a commitment to accepting Clements way and methods might have taken a season or two but would have got there. Mel I think is in love with the 13/14 side still.

The 2013/14 side had better shape... With ward on the wing as an option to russell.  And dawkins could at least keep the ball, unlike Johnson. Plus Bryson was on fire that year... We've only seen him fitfully since . I think it overachieved , and since then with supposedly better players weve underachieved. 

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He wasnt expecting them to play like Real Madrid but at least show the same kind of commitment and hunger. That's one one of the reasons Clement really liked Hughes and Bryson, because they showed the ambiton and willingness to improve. Wouldn't say that he failed when he only lost a handful of games here and was top of the league at one point. Think the style of play got him sacked more than the results. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hughes and Bryson play about 1 hour of competitive football between them for clement.?? How did he see that commitment and desire in such a short period of time during a drab 0-0 draw away at Bolton 

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It wasn't Clement's first couple of games that cost us because dont forget we lost our 2 best midfielders in the first game. It's the results against the likes of Rotherham and Wolves which cost us more. Easy to blame Clement when he is gone. If he confused the players then what on earth did Wassall do with them today? Can't blame Clement for today's game. When we lost under Clement, it was his fault but when we lose under Wassall its the players let him down.

I blamed Clement when he was still here. I didn't wait for it to become obvious he didn't ever have the squad on side.

He's not a manager. He might be very good at putting cones out.

Today was a shambles and Wass has to take responsibility for that,

Neither today nor Wassall cost Derby the chance of the auto's.  the auto's were long since gone 

Clement did that all on his own. Spent 27m quid and still couldn't get the side playing.

Had two really poor spells either side of a purple patch. With the squad at his disposal, not good enough. Not sure Mel helped his cause any but by the time he was on his way out, he looked and sounded a broken man. He was never going to turn it around.

13 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hughes and Bryson play about 1 hour of competitive football between them for clement.?? How did he see that commitment and desire in such a short period of time during a drab 0-0 draw away at Bolton 

You heard about pre season??? He would have seen them in training as well

Archived