OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

Newcastle?, Sunderland?, Aston Villa with Pearson and Norwich? are tougher than last year's relegation trio.

THE SAME GETS SAID EVERY YEAR, OMITTING TO MENTION THE FACT THAT THE 2 STRONGEST TEAMS HAVE BEEN PROMOTED OUT OF THE LEAGUE ALONG WITH A FURTHER ONE OF THE TOP 6 STRONGEST TEAMS.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have no fear playing Newcastle anyway... the club that lost to us in 07/08 and were the only one's to do so... and didn't we beat them both times when they were last in the championship? the year they went up with 100 points as well, and we had negative Nige in charge to boot as well.

we should have no fear of playing anyone if we remain in the championship next year..our teams has gelled again and under wassells management,are playing fluent football but with the added bonus of a resolute defence to boot...

the same certainly cant be said for newcastle,aston villa or any of the other big guns dropping this year and we would start off on the front foot next season,im sure of that.

hopefully we wont be here to find out however,but then we have the worry of how we develop the team/astutely bolster it without disrupting the teams balance and team spirit

On 5/5/2016 at 22:27, Rampage said:

Mel, Sam and Darren now know that the Derby Way is the Steve Maclaren Way but letting a few less goals in.                   Any other candidate will be told to play exactly this way.                                                                                                         So which other managers play nearest to the Derby Way?                                                                                               There is your short list, minus the ones that are too expensive to hire

Here is my short list:-

1 Darren Wassall

2 Steve Maclaren

3 ?

4 ?

5 ?

McClaren didn't change the style of play though. He made a few crucial tweaks in; being more positive in terms of substitutions and how to see out games, altered the front three, playing a natural defensive midfielder and actually working on defensive set-pieces*.

McClaren made a few crucial tweaks but the actual style of play didn't change at all.

The Derby Way isn't The McClaren Way. If anything, the difference in the style of football now compared to under McClaren is far greater than the styles of Clough and McClaren.

We don't pass it from the back anymore, we seem to leave the football for their half of the pitch these days - which has really helped Shackell and Thorne. 

Under McClaren there were triangles all over the pitch and it was all about those third man runs getting either a midfield runner, a winger or the full-back in behind. Now under Wassall it just seems that our attacking players all have a complete license to roam, the triangles don't seem to be there anymore. 

With regards to conceding goals, people let the late season leakiness cloud their view of our defense under McClaren. Up until Martin's injury we had the second best defensive record in the league last season. We set a club clean-sheet streak record. 

It was only when the injuries struck that we started leaking goals. In fact, match-day 29 was the last full game Martin played last season - by that point we'd conceded 26 goals. Just for a comparison, after 29 league games under Clement we had conceded 25 goals. 

*I have no idea how much or little either Clough or McClaren worked on set-plays. However, I'd estimate that we conceded a goal every three games from set-pieces under Clough. We were abysmal at defending them under him - it was a Forest set play that cost him his job! However, once McClaren had his way the number of goals we conceded from set-pieces decreased dramatically.

1 hour ago, valleyram said:

Bris I don't get why not ? Surely it must be better to sign players you want rather than shop in league 2 in England , no disrespect to that league but that's where rangers are signing players from ! N before I get the Jamie vardy reply for every vardy there are a hundred duds in that league 

Warburton has already strongly suggested he won't leave Rangers until at least a few more years, and that was amid reports of Everton being interested in him.

I can understand why people laugh off the SPL and suggest England is better, but the current Rangers job is massive.

Celtic have won five SPL titles in a row, and Warburton will go down as a real Rangers hero if he manages to knock Celtic off their perch and take Rangers to the top again. That challenge in itself is far bigger than just taking a Championship cub to the PL, or avoid relegation from the PL.

Of course the PL is better, and Warburton will be able to have better players here than he could at Rangers. But that doesn't mean the challenge can't be bigger.

Besides, if Rangers beat Hibs in the Scottish Cup final, they'll be in the Europa League next year. Warburton strikes me as an honourable man, and he won't give up on Rangers after just 1 year when there is so much for him to stick around for.

49 minutes ago, cannable said:

McClaren didn't change the style of play though. He made a few crucial tweaks in; being more positive in terms of substitutions and how to see out games, altered the front three, playing a natural defensive midfielder and actually working on defensive set-pieces*.

McClaren made a few crucial tweaks but the actual style of play didn't change at all.

The Derby Way isn't The McClaren Way. If anything, the difference in the style of football now compared to under McClaren is far greater than the styles of Clough and McClaren.

We don't pass it from the back anymore, we seem to leave the football for their half of the pitch these days - which has really helped Shackell and Thorne. 

Under McClaren there were triangles all over the pitch and it was all about those third man runs getting either a midfield runner, a winger or the full-back in behind. Now under Wassall it just seems that our attacking players all have a complete license to roam, the triangles don't seem to be there anymore. 

With regards to conceding goals, people let the late season leakiness cloud their view of our defense under McClaren. Up until Martin's injury we had the second best defensive record in the league last season. We set a club clean-sheet streak record. 

It was only when the injuries struck that we started leaking goals. In fact, match-day 29 was the last full game Martin played last season - by that point we'd conceded 26 goals. Just for a comparison, after 29 league games under Clement we had conceded 25 goals. 

*I have no idea how much or little either Clough or McClaren worked on set-plays. However, I'd estimate that we conceded a goal every three games from set-pieces under Clough. We were abysmal at defending them under him - it was a Forest set play that cost him his job! However, once McClaren had his way the number of goals we conceded from set-pieces decreased dramatically.

Fantastic post. Totally agree

8 hours ago, cannable said:

McClaren didn't change the style of play though. He made a few crucial tweaks in; being more positive in terms of substitutions and how to see out games, altered the front three, playing a natural defensive midfielder and actually working on defensive set-pieces*.McClaren made a few crucial tweaks but the actual style of play didn't change at all.The Derby Way isn't The McClaren Way. If anything, the difference in the style of football now compared to under McClaren is far greater than the styles of Clough and McClaren.We don't pass it from the back anymore, we seem to leave the football for their half of the pitch these days - which has really helped Shackell and Thorne. Under McClaren there were triangles all over the pitch and it was all about those third man runs getting either a midfield runner, a winger or the full-back in behind. Now under Wassall it just seems that our attacking players all have a complete license to roam, the triangles don't seem to be there anymore. With regards to conceding goals, people let the late season leakiness cloud their view of our defense under McClaren. Up until Martin's injury we had the second best defensive record in the league last season. We set a club clean-sheet streak record. It was only when the injuries struck that we started leaking goals. In fact, match-day 29 was the last full game Martin played last season - by that point we'd conceded 26 goals. Just for a comparison, after 29 league games under Clement we had conceded 25 goals. *I have no idea how much or little either Clough or McClaren worked on set-plays. However, I'd estimate that we conceded a goal every three games from set-pieces under Clough. We were abysmal at defending them under him - it was a Forest set play that cost him his job! However, once McClaren had his way the number of goals we conceded from set-pieces decreased dramatically.

Excellent post cannable.

This view of the Derby Way makes sense. I am not sure if it is the same as Mel's view or anyone else's on dcfcfans because it has not yet been made that crystal clear.

Rampage's Derby Way Challenge

These six points crystallise what Mel and Wassall define as The Derby Way

6 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

Forget it. He's gonna be way too wrapped up in captaining the European Ryder Cup team.

Putt those thoughts behind you. He would only drive to Derby if we paid him a big wedge.

Ipswich was somewhat bizzarre but we have improved since Cardiff away. Wass has been learning on the job and to be fair has done a decent job in terms of turning round a side in freefall. The football on offer is a massive improvement on PC.

Regardless of play offs i would offer Wass the job on a rolling 12 month contract. The caveat however would be to have a wise experienced head involved somewhere (Harry if he fancies it or the likes of Fergie or Jose...?).

Do we need major reconstruction?? i think not. CDM depending on GT may need looking at but i am hoping a good pre season may see Blackman come good. Also hopeful for Hanson. I would though look at some serious pace up front; maybe Zanzala. The rest of the squad should be enough to kick on.

13 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Steve Maclaren must be having a difficult evening after Newcastle United were relegated. He hoped to finish eighth, spent £80 million and even Rafa could not save them in the time frame that he was given.

My heart bleeds for him!

Archived