OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Going against the tide I know..but least I'm not hiding waiting for DW's first stumble, to then come out of the woodwork. Unfair you may say; but I have a 'he can't win' mindset. If we don't go up then it proves he hasn't got what it takes. If we do go up great, but I still don't believe he's then the man to attract and manage the players that would turn us into a Southampton or West Ham with Europa League intentions. Sorry, but look at the managers that Southampton and Leicester have attracted, we should be looking at that level.

Err....however...I'm not so blinkered though that I don't feel a bit more doubtful when I see names like Hoddle and Lambert thrown into the pot!!

Yeah that's as bad as throwin in the name McClaren, oh wait!!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a kick in the teeth to more people than just Wass. 

I'd be disappointed personally, but I wouldn't be upset.

13 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Most people on here keep banging on about the heady days of Steve McClaren and the great football we played. Would a return be that bad other than a kick in the teeth for Wass?

Welcome BathRan72. Your first post I see.

We played amazing attacking football under Stevie Mac, which was bloody lucky because he was woeful at organising his defence.

we forget that Stevie did achieve the playoffs and narrowly miss out on them again without the millions invested by Mel.

Thorne was purchased with the money from the playoffs. Clearly Mel funded the 3 loans in Jan.

If He had 10 million to spend I would be confident he would get us out this division, 

10 minutes ago, admira said:

But McClaren has proved beyond doubt this season that he's not cut out for the Premier League so would he really be a good appointment going forward?

Benitez has a barely 2% better win rate after his 6 games :p 

Shouldn't be forgotten that McClaren has over 50% win rate after almost 100 games. Which is ridiculously good. Wassall's still above 50 though too.

I like the Karl Robinson for an idea.

I know this would hugely depend on Championship/Premiership for next season but he seems to be a good football man. He's always spoken well when I've seen him on Sky ect and he's shown at MK Dons he relishes a project(5 seasons I think). He has shown good player development with the likes of Alli most notably but the whole MK Dons squad looks to have a low average age with experience mixed in. He's also shown a good eye in the transfer market with a small budget and having to replace their best player in Alli with the loanees such as Forster-Caskey, Murphy, Poyet and Emmanuel-Thomas. Also, I believe he works closely with a team which seems to be something Mel is keen on with obviously Redknapp but also Phillips and Short having more influential roles working with Wassall. I don't think he'd be as egotistical as potentially a Pearson would be and I think he'd really buy into the whole building from the academy and Derby way mentality. 

12 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Thank you admira.

I have been sitting on the side lines for a few months now, so thought I would throw in my two penneth worth.

You mad, impetuous fool. :)

19 minutes ago, admira said:

But McClaren has proved beyond doubt this season that he's not cut out for the Premier League so would he really be a good appointment going forward?

Or has he just proved that Newcastle is a poisoned chalice?

22 minutes ago, admira said:

If Benitez takes them down would that also prove the same thing?

No chance of Maclaren returning to Derby. He would apparently not commit to Derby when asked, allegedly I suspect that Derby was a stepping stone for Steve. The step was to get us up and perhaps move on. He nearly did it. When I first saw Newcastle under Steve, I thought that the defence looked like ours. Not good enough. In the Premiership, a weak defence spells relegation. Bilic was the managerial choice of last year for me (after Ranieri).

Watford manager may be going. He could keep us up in my opinion. If the manager cannot organise a defence, do not employ him. Pearson would keep us up but he will not be coming.

Wassall is our manager next season if he wants it, until it goes pear shaped. Only two things can happen now.

1. we get promotion - he remains manager

2. We lose but play at least half decent in the Play Offs - he remains manger because he needs more time to improve the team.

Wassall is our manager next season

ps. We need 'Arry as well

I suspect 'Arry wont be here next season whether we go up or not. Hes too much in demand with clubs and nations overseas.

I also expect Wasall to get the job permanently and a Harry type figure to be brought in to do the job Harry has been doing for us.

Archived