Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

I think both are options for right back and Hanson makes good Thorne cover.

Cyrus did better in Clement's team because the midfielders were so deep whilst Christie became the wing part of wing back.

I was a bit worried when i saw the change, mostly because it's been such a settled back four, but my concerns were unfounded.

Hanson has a bright future and depending on the opposition has the RB slot for me - For Cardiff and Hull at least.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Very bizarre I thought Hanson had an excellent game and was an inspired selection.. just shows you how different people can see a game. Sky had Olsson as MOTM someone else had Shackell both of which i also find very odd. For me it was Hanson.

Olsson played well, thought Shackell was pretty average, outshadowed by Keogh however who I thought was immense.

MotM for me had to be Bryson, his tireless running kept constant pressure on their midfield and was the reason we ticked, especially at times in the second half, his work off the ball is often as valuable as his work on, if not more.

Also impressed with Ince again, starting to look like he might be developing some consistency to his game, glad to see him get an assist because I think his performance merited one, was unlucky not to score, a tad more composure and he could have put us ahead earlier on.

Hanson for me was solid, if unspectacular. As a fullback, he defended well but offered very little, if anything, going forward at times. He gave the ball away far too often, especially in the second half, and was caught out of position a few times too regularly for my liking. Christie's pace often gets him out of trouble, Hanson doesn't have that luxury, so when he was caught out, it was often up to Ince to cover, which I thought he did superbly. For me, Christie offers more going forward while being equally competent defensively, Olsson was arguably the fullback to blame against Rotherham so Christie being dropped seemed odd to me.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Christie is a bit of a liability for me. Too many attempted tricks, and poor decision making. Takes far too long to cross a ball, often tries to take on his opponent, and the the few times he succeeds, he often slows play down and said opponent has time to catch up. I wouldn't have him anywhere near my team.

Hanson had a poor first 20 minutes, got told to play further up the pitch and suddenly offered a lot more. He's our best set piece taker, but isn't being allowed to take them yet, and i feel could grow and develop into a more prolific player.

I like what Wassall did here, and I hope he has the balls to keep Hanson at RB.

This is the best case you can make against Christie because rammielib has pointed out very precisely Christies weak points - but I like Christie. Christies style doesn't match well with a team of negative passers and no off the ball movement and where we have forwards that don't  have the pace or power to get on the end of anything (which is why a Zanzala type would be nice up front). Stick Christie on an attacking team with skill players - Leicester  Man U Arsenal man city etc and he'd shine big time. He's a prototype continental style fullback. 

As to Hanson, it doesn't take balls to play him because he's gonna give you a strong performance every time you send him out. He's a consistent unflappable beast. No worries with him starting anywhere - centre half, full back, holding mid ...

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This is the best case you can make against Christie because rammielib has pointed out very precisely Christies weak points - but I like Christie. Christies style doesn't match well with a team of negative passers and no off the ball movement and where we have forwards that don't  have the pace or power to get on the end of anything (which is why a Zanzala type would be nice up front). Stick Christie on an attacking team with skill players - Leicester  Man U Arsenal man city etc and he'd shine big time. He's a prototype continental style fullback. 

As to Hanson, it doesn't take balls to play him because he's gonna give you a strong performance every time you send him out. He's a consistent unflappable beast. No worries with him starting anywhere - centre half, full back, holding mid ...

You are Offrande's Mum and I collect my £5 :D

17 hours ago, eddie said:

He reminds me of Rod Thomas, whereas Jamie Hanson reminds me of Ron Webster. One was a good attacking full back, one was an excellent full back. Both have their strengths.

Target him? Single him out? Is that what you think I'm doing? All I am saying is that there were a number of reasons why we threw away a 3 goal lead in the last 10 minutes at Rotherham - and not all of them can be laid at the door of Darren Wassall, Richard Keogh, Marcus Olsson or Nick Blackman (forgive me if I have missed any other candidates for scapegoat of the week out). The only reason I brought Cyrus Christie into the equation is the fact that others were intent on narrowing the blame down to one individual. I don't blame anybody, because I'm just not that sort of one-dimensonal person.

I'm an entirely different sort of one-dimensional individual.

How did Ron Webster not get an England cap...not a one!! Even Steve Perryman got 1...

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

Why are you still obsessed with Zanzala? 

Average performance and therefore promising full debut in Championship in that position. I'm afraid he is too slow to become very good modern day full back. Well, IMO he is. I'd stuck him as DM, his attributes would fit much better there.

And he should be encouraged to have a boy with Christie. That lad could become one hell of a right back.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what? We've been watching different players then, I'd say pace is not a problem for Hanson, both with and without the ball.

True. He's not as fast as Russell camara or bent but he's pretty quick.

On 21 March 2016 at 00:22, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I thought he was poor. Gave a lot of silly balls away. If Baird put in that performances he would be hammered on here.

I like Jamie though, will be a good player for us. Be interesting where he actually sees himself position wise.

Christie all day at RB though.

I'm probably the biggest Christie fan on here but there's no comparison defensively - Hanson is a damn defensive monster. And Baird ... Good god he can't defend that well or go forward. 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what? We've been watching different players then, I'd say pace is not a problem for Hanson, both with and without the ball.

We surely see the game differently. IMO fullbacks has to do much more than just defend. And he propably will struggle against faster wingers. What I'm sure about, is that we'll propably see later.

People saying Hanson gave the ball away too much don't understand our problems this season. They've been because we're too safe, slow, pedestrain and backward-looking when we have the ball. Hanson was an excellent change at the weekend because he moved it forward first-time a lot of the time, giving us a little attacking momentum. There's no point having 80% possession in a match if you're simply passing across the defence to Keogh. A pass completion rate that's extremely high for a player normally shows they're not taking enough risks to open up the opposition.

I liked the variety in Hanson's pasing, long and short, but mainly the pace of it. He doesn't need to take three touches, run into a cul-de-sac and then wonder who to pass the ball to. He knows where it's going before he receives it.

Christie is powerful and skilful but less intelligent (as a footballer) and without the vision/passing ability. As has been said, we could do with genetically engineering a hybrid of the two, and I presume that's where Mel's millions are actually going. This academy is a long-term project!

6 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Is Christie really a RB????

Would he make a decent CB?????? 

Could he make a decent cup of tea????

Probably no to 2 of the 3

But he makes a great cup of tea.

Whenever discussions arrive about the next 'great player' especially in their formative years, I think of Steve Powell.  One of my favourite ever players.  I saw his full debut, at right back if I remember right, in the first division at the age of about 16.  He was going to be a great then and although he did really well in his career others overtook him on the national stage and Derby went steadily downhill.  You can judge too early. Either way.

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People saying Hanson gave the ball away too much don't understand our problems this season. They've been because we're too safe, slow, pedestrain and backward-looking when we have the ball. Hanson was an excellent change at the weekend because he moved it forward first-time a lot of the time, giving us a little attacking momentum. There's no point having 80% possession in a match if you're simply passing across the defence to Keogh. A pass completion rate that's extremely high for a player normally shows they're not taking enough risks to open up the opposition.

I liked the variety in Hanson's pasing, long and short, but mainly the pace of it. He doesn't need to take three touches, run into a cul-de-sac and then wonder who to pass the ball to. He knows where it's going before he receives it.

Christie is powerful and skilful but less intelligent (as a footballer) and without the vision/passing ability. As has been said, we could do with genetically engineering a hybrid of the two, and I presume that's where Mel's millions are actually going. This academy is a long-term project!

Exactly. 

Can forgive passes not meeting their target if it's a pass that's "on", it's hit with pace and it's been read well by the defence or not read well by the receiver. 

It makes your blood boil when there's slow, pedestrian passing where there's 2 emails and a text sent to the receiver and it still doesn't make it. 

Shackell probably had 90% pass completion on Saturday and he was the major reason we struggled in the first half. Stopping the ball dead, ignoring the first two options, Forest push up and Shackell passes exactly where Forest wanted him to. Safe. 

Cyrus doesn't see things quick enough either. 

Derby have often let the opposition pick our passes for us. 

It was the more aggressive passers like Hanson that pushed Forest off Thorne. Then he could join in. 

Quite like Cyrus. On his day he's very good. But not always sure if he fits in with the strengths of players like Ince. 

Really not sure about him at full back in a 433, makes us unbalanced, didn't offer himself as an outlet anything like as much as Christie does and regularly Keogh had to keep turning back to the left for an outlet. 

Archived