Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

19 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Really not sure about him at full back in a 433, makes us unbalanced, didn't offer himself as an outlet anything like as much as Christie does and regularly Keogh had to keep turning back to the left for an outlet. 

Pains me to say it because he's such an excellent defender, but it's Shackell who isn't an outlet and unbalances us. For instance, on Saturday he couldn't even open his body up to play a simple ball to Olsson who was frequently in acres of space to the left, but instead has to sidefoot it across his body to Keogh.

I don't get it because he's a very talented guy, but he needs to take more responsibility, carrying the ball forward or adding variety and accuracy to his passing, or else we should try the defence without him. Given his groin strain and the unfathomable delay in getting him off the pitch while it was made worse (another poor substitution by Wassall in terms of the time to react to a situation - he didn't even have Bucko warming up until after we'd scored) it's likely the change will be enforced for the Cardiff game anyway.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

People saying Hanson gave the ball away too much don't understand our problems this season. They've been because we're too safe, slow, pedestrain and backward-looking when we have the ball. Hanson was an excellent change at the weekend because he moved it forward first-time a lot of the time, giving us a little attacking momentum. There's no point having 80% possession in a match if you're simply passing across the defence to Keogh. A pass completion rate that's extremely high for a player normally shows they're not taking enough risks to open up the opposition.

I liked the variety in Hanson's pasing, long and short, but mainly the pace of it. He doesn't need to take three touches, run into a cul-de-sac and then wonder who to pass the ball to. He knows where it's going before he receives it.

Christie is powerful and skilful but less intelligent (as a footballer) and without the vision/passing ability. As has been said, we could do with genetically engineering a hybrid of the two, and I presume that's where Mel's millions are actually going. This academy is a long-term project!

One of the most insightful posts on this forum in recent memory. Hopefully DW saw all that too. 

Jesus... Just because he's a Derby academy player, no need to totally overrate him. Heard it all before with Callum Ball, Miles Addison, Jeff Hendrick, Mason Bennett and now Jamie Hanson.

From what I've seen of him, he'll be lucky to forge a career at Championship level, let alone PL level.

Potential to be a great player? On what basis?

Fair enough he isn't a natural right-back, but he was caught out of position a lot against Forest and was lucky to have come up against such an average winger in Ben Osborn who had a poor game regardless.

He's got a decent dead-ball delivery on him, and he kept possession well. But he looks slow, both in terms of movement and in general awareness. These aren't traits you can suddenly pick up.

I've seen nothing in him to suggest he'll go on to become anything more than a Championship at best player. Sorry to burst the bubbe, and I don't intentionally want to drag a player down - especially one of our own.

But realism is needed. And you should know better than to build up false hopes.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Jesus... Just because he's a Derby academy player, no need to totally overrate him. Heard it all before with Callum Ball, Miles Addison, Jeff Hendrick, Mason Bennett and now Jamie Hanson.

From what I've seen of him, he'll be lucky to forge a career at Championship level, let alone PL level.

Fair enough he isn't a natural right-back, but he was caught out of position a lot against Forest and was lucky to have come up against such an average winger in Ben Osborn who had a poor game regardless.

He's got a decent dead-ball delivery on him, and he kept possession well. But he looks slow, both in terms of movement and in general awareness. These aren't traits you can suddenly pick up.

I've seen nothing in him to suggest he'll go on to become anything more than a Championship at best player. Sorry to burst the bubbe, and I don't intentionally want to drag a player down - especially one of our own.

You didn't burst anyone's bubble, Bris. There's only me and 2 others bother to read your posts now. ;)

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pains me to say it because he's such an excellent defender, but it's Shackell who isn't an outlet and unbalances us. For instance, on Saturday he couldn't even open his body up to play a simple ball to Olsson who was frequently in acres of space to the left, but instead has to sidefoot it across his body to Keogh.

I don't get it because he's a very talented guy, but he needs to take more responsibility, carrying the ball forward or adding variety and accuracy to his passing, or else we should try the defence without him. Given his groin strain and the unfathomable delay in getting him off the pitch while it was made worse (another poor substitution by Wassall in terms of the time to react to a situation - he didn't even have Bucko warming up until after we'd scored) it's likely the change will be enforced for the Cardiff game anyway.

I do disagree with that. I think my heart couldn't take single ball carrying from him. Do you really see him playing like that? He would lost it right away!

His passing is limited, surely, but it is much better than last time he was here. All those Hollywood-passes to south/north stand didn't really help our game. IMO we can afford on defender like him. That's why there is Keogh, fullbacks and Thorne just next to him. And when Hughes comes back, it gets even better.

Let him concentrate on his own strengths, which is defending.

13 hours ago, Dimmu said:

We surely see the game differently. IMO fullbacks has to do much more than just defend. And he propably will struggle against faster wingers. What I'm sure about, is that we'll propably see later.

no more so than Christie. 

Pace isn't as important as timing when you're defending. 

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I would agree with much of this if not the tone. 

I disagree a little in that I think Hanson will end up as a right back. He isn't big enough to be a CB and doesn't have the ball retention skills to be a DCM.

I think he will make a regular championship player in time. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

That I agree with.

But have to say, Hanson's timing and positioning was far from perfect. Surely it was first game, but for example that yellow was good example of his timing.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I would agree with much of this if not the tone. 

I disagree a little in that I think Hanson will end up as a right back. He isn't big enough to be a CB and doesn't have the ball retention skills to be a DCM.

I think he will make a regular championship player in time. 

I think his biggest strength is probably his versatility. I don't see him as a particularly promising player in any one position, but being able to 'a job' in arguably as many as three different positions makes him a good option.

Like a poor mans Calum Chambers. A player who probably wouldn't even get in say Stoke City's first-team XI, but has a role at a big club due to being versatile.

33 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Pace is very important as a defender, especially so when up against a fast pacey winger .

57 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

That I agree with.

But have to say, Hanson's timing and positioning was far from perfect. Surely it was first game, but for example that yellow was good example of his timing.

not sure he was really trying to time it well. It seemed a bit deliberate to me.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure he was really trying to time it well. It seemed a bit deliberate to me.

We definitely see the game differently!

He was just late, 'cause he was too slow compared where he was positioned.

I'm struggling to understand why defend something so obvious.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

We definitely see the game differently!

He was just late, 'cause he was too slow compared where he was positioned.

I'm struggling to understand why defend something so obvious.

Yes he was, but he definitely meant to "clean house".

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think his biggest strength is probably his versatility. I don't see him as a particularly promising player in any one position, but being able to 'a job' in arguably as many as three different positions makes him a good option.

Like a poor mans Calum Chambers. A player who probably wouldn't even get in say Stoke City's first-team XI, but has a role at a big club due to being versatile.

For me, you've nailed it there.

He will be a good player, but certainly not great as this thread suggests. With really promising young players (for example Hughes), you can see something that sets them apart even at a young age. I can't see anything that sets Hanson apart ability-wise.

StockholmRam wrote :" How did Ron Webster not get an England cap...not a one!! Even Steve Perryman got 1..."

Ron Webster suffered from the "London journalist" syndrome.  Alan Mullery (Spurs) was in the England team at that time and  was the darling of the London press, which worked against him, as did his loyalty to the Rams.

Had he been a mercenary player, he would have moved to "bigger" club and almost certainly been capped.

5 minutes ago, Dordogne_Ram said:

StockholmRam wrote :" How did Ron Webster not get an England cap...not a one!! Even Steve Perryman got 1..."

Ron Webster suffered from the "London journalist" syndrome.  Alan Mullery (Spurs) was in the England team at that time and  was the darling of the London press, which worked against him, as did his loyalty to the Rams.

Had he been a mercenary player, he would have moved to "bigger" club and almost certainly been capped.

Who was right back for England at the time? I know Todd played a few games there and Reaney had 3 caps, but it was Paul Madeley who played 24 times for England, a utility player who refused to go to the 1970 World Cup as he was unlikely to start.

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Who was right back for England at the time? I know Todd played a few games there and Reaney had 3 caps, but it was Paul Madeley who played 24 times for England, a utility player who refused to go to the 1970 World Cup as he was unlikely to start.

Keith Newton? Phil Neale? Maybe KN was too early and PN too late. 

Archived