Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

9 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I didn't think Hanson was anything special. He didn't offer an attacking threat down the right and got booked for pole axing Osborne.

A curate's egg of a performance.

Lowlight - a couple of misplaced passes.

Highlight - poleaxing a scumbucket

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A couple of the passes he misplaced in the second half were fine though.

They were ambitious through balls that we're screaming "play me!!!". They would have completely turned opened up Forest and were worth the risk. Were only just intercepted too. 

Don't mind seeing that. 

one pass he had whole half pitch to pass into to free Ince. It was a simple pass....he under hit it. If Ince stood still would have just reached him.

Thought he showed promise for the age he's at. Tough tackler, has a touch if the Steve Powell, Seth Johnson about him.

Needs to brush up his tackling though or he is going to collect a few reds along the way when they are mistimed like the booking he got. Thought he got suckered out of position on one occasion in the 2nd half down in front of the West stand, experience will sort that hopefully. Distribution was a case of perhaps trying to hard. Shows promise but I wonder if a lack of pace might undo him at right back against speedier types should we make the prem.

Bit harsh maybe, as all the right signs, just don't build him up too much too soon, he's still raw. Personally I'd like to see him develop as cover or replacement for Thorne in time.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

A decision that had it gone wrong, Wassall would have been ridiculed for, as it was we kept a clean sheet, and for that you have to give credit to Harry for making such a brave decision.

So if it went wrong it would be Wassall's head on the block but since it went ok Harry gets the credit? :p

47 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

He was ok yesterday but misplaced a lot of passes. He's developing so will hopefully improve but any other player would've got slated. 

I hope it works out for him but Cyrus is currently the better player.

His 'tackle' and booking was straight out of the Stuart Pearce book of letting your winger know you're there! Except back then, the ref would just smile at owd Psycho as McMinn lay pole axed with his leg wrapped around the advertising hoarding.

Mostly agree. A bit unfair on those misplaced passes - because in at least two instances I felt they were the right decision but the receiving players either didn't make the right run early enough or check too it quick enough. But yes they masked a really good performance. I agree that Christie is a stronger attacking option and is arguably our only player who has looked to attack all season long. 

He's still got time to beef up a bit yet, I remember thinking Hendrick was tiny when he first played (replacing savage against Coventry city if I remember right). Think it's going to be more likely Hanson as a finished product will be similair to the Warnock mold 

Well we know he can fill in at right back ( goodbye Baird ) I don't see an attacking side to that position but he has a very good set piece if he is allowed to take them. Also. If Thorne was to be sold at some point this lad can do the job and will only get better

When I first saw the lineup I wondered why on earth had Christie been dropped, but after thinking about it I think that they decided to drop Christie because they wanted a local lad who knows the rivalry inside out in the team, and it wasn't like they were ever going to drop George Thorne vs Forest. 

Hanson probably offers us more defensively than Christie and he dealt with Osborn pretty well, and apart from a few misplaced passes he had a good game. He's a good option to have at Right Back, but having said that I would still expect that Christie will be recalled to the side against Cardiff. 

When Cyrus is on his game and bursting forward it's hard to be critical but I have liked Hanson since his first game at DM I think when Mascarel got injured a while ago ?

he is a quality footballer. He has a touch, might not be whippet quick over 100 meters but reacts fast over the first yard or two. He makes difficult, intelligent passes and has a crunching tackle. I see no probs with him being 1st choice RB .. For me the choice depends on who the opponents have on the left wing. / left back ... Against a slippery customers I'd have Jamie every time but if they have a slowish winger or weak left back then I'd have Cyrus scaring the pants off them

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Mostly agree. A bit unfair on those misplaced passes - because in at least two instances I felt they were the right decision but the receiving players either didn't make the right run early enough or check too it quick enough. But yes they masked a really good performance. I agree that Christie is a stronger attacking option and is arguably our only player who has looked to attack all season long. 

Not sure Christie is the only player who has looked to attack all season? I'm pretty sure that as goal scorers, the likes of Martin, Russell, Ince, Butterfield, Johnson, Hendrick, Bent etc etc were attacking at the time. If you mean fullbacks then I've seen both left and right back score this season from advanced attacking positions. Anyone remember that neat little finish from that left back, owd whathisname..? Oh yeah, MARCUS OLLSON

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

A couple of the passes he misplaced in the second half were fine though.

They were ambitious through balls that we're screaming "play me!!!". They would have completely turned opened up Forest and were worth the risk. Were only just intercepted too. 

Don't mind seeing that. 

And they did, the goal stemmed from hansons ball up to Chris Martin. Could be an outlet if used correctly, like buxtons 50 yarders

We have a real problem with how we play because we're determined to keep possession and pass the ball out of defence, rather than hoof it, but the only person capable of playing a pass is Keogh so it just goes sideways until it comes to him and he has to decide whether to keep it sideways, step forward with it or try to play the incisive pass. Or waste a midfielder comeing short to collect the ball.

The opposition know this so they don't have to press the other defenders and can concentrate on winning the ball off Keogh. What Hanson did was add better balance, certainly to the righ-hand side of defence by being a different sort of outlook. He's very comfortable on the ball with a midfielder's mentality, so he knows what he's going to do before he receives it and often played good forward-thinking first time balls. I liked that.

Christie is the better player for running down the line which also gives an outlet out of defence, though all too often he ends up having to come back and give the ball back to Keogh to start again. I'll reserve judgement until I have time to watch the game back as you get a different picture being at the game (certainly for a Derby) versus seeing it from on high on telly, but my first impression was that Hanson suited our style of play there and, whatever else, it's good to know after all the moves out that we do actually have right-back cover!

Nothing wrong with the attempted passes he made, they are the sort you would expect to see from a Thorne type player, trying to unlock the opposition. Watch Carrick and its the sort of balls he plays very well, this is why Hanson makes a good midfielder, always wants to look to break the opposition apart with a good pass, it frees up players around him as they dont need to stand within 10 yards to accept a sideways pass like Hendrick did a lot yesterday, he played very deep at times considering we had Thorne on the pitch.

I can definitely see the Red Nev comparison, he wasnt great at bombing forward but his range of passing from deep really helped United unlock teams.

The tackle where Hanson got booked was very close to me and it didnt look a booking IMO but I havent seen it since to have another look.

Really glad Wassall gave him a go in this position yesterday.

I know its only one game, but I thought he did well.

Looks a lot more suited to this position than the DM central role we have seen him in.

Really glad our Full backs werent gung-ho yesterday. Not only did Hanson do well, but I thought it was Olssons best game for us (even before he scored) he looked like he knew how to defend for once.

It depends what people constitute as "Great". Jeff Hendrick has proven himself as a first team regular but is a 1 in 4 type of player. I think you can tell if a player is great by the consistency of performance, something Hanson has to prove.

I think Hanson has the making of a first team regular and I am looking forward to next season when he is given a full season of being in the starting 11.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Paying dividends? Thought we were poor yesterday to be honest.

How many times have we outplayed the opposition and lost. Yeah we weren't great yesterday but we beat the Red Dogs.

I noticed there was a team unity on show yesterday and that has been missing all season IMO, which obviously helped  

I think Harry had his influence yesterday and I believe that was the Hanson selection. Raised a lot of eyebrows, mine included but he didn't give an inch yesterday my MOM. 

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

I didn't think Hanson was anything special. He didn't offer an attacking threat down the right and got booked for pole axing Osborne.

That's what a fullback has to do, own that winger let him know he's your bitch for the next 95 mins.

I loved the fact that he did just that yes the booking wasn't ideal but you have to own that winger. Particularly Osborne after what he did in the same fixture last season couldn't risk that happening again. 

He's never going to skip past anyone like Cyrus can, he's not as physically strong or quick as Cyrus and he misplaced half a dozen passes. 6/10.  

football is a simple game where doing the basics excellently is key to success.

For me, your defenders stop goals, and you attackers create them, not the other way around. 

Hanson has stolen Christie's shirt yesterday in my opinion. For Derby to succeed, we need to do the basics better, and Hanson's performance was a better defensive performance than Christie's recent performances.

For all Christie's perceived attacking prowess, it doesn't reap enough benefit to allow us to overlook his defensive weaknesses.

Archived