Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

2 minutes ago, needles said:

He's never going to skip past anyone like Cyrus can, he's not as physically strong or quick as Cyrus and he misplaced half a dozen passes. 6/10.  

Hanson is a far superior defender with an awareness of what's going on around him. Whereas people were blaming Wassall and Keogh for the capitulation at Rotherham, Christie's reckless headless chicken gung-ho nonsense when it screamed out for somebody doing his main job was just as big a contributory factor.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

football is a simple game where doing the basics excellently is key to success.

For me, your defenders stop goals, and you attackers create them, not the other way around. 

Hanson has stolen Christie's shirt yesterday in my opinion. For Derby to succeed, we need to do the basics better, and Hanson's performance was a better defensive performance than Christie's recent performances.

For all Christie's perceived attacking prowess, it doesn't reap enough benefit to allow us to overlook his defensive weaknesses.

From the ridiculous to the sublime

I've probably sounded like his big bro or young father but ive said from day 1 that he has everything required to make a top top player. Should have had far more game time this season. For some reason PC froze him out. For me i would find a place for in the team as he is tenacious in the tackle, fearless, can run all day and can ping a pass.

Dave Hanson.....?

think he was decent yesterday considering it was his first time playing right back at this level. however i thought early on got drawn out of position and left keogh exposed down the right on a few occasions but looked a lot more solid after half time.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Hanson is a far superior defender with an awareness of what's going on around him. Whereas people were blaming Wassall and Keogh for the capitulation at Rotherham, Christie's reckless headless chicken gung-ho nonsense when it screamed out for somebody doing his main job was just as big a contributory factor.

Hmm. Unsure on these points eddie. I'm behind him, but I'm yet to be convinced.

2 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I've probably sounded like his big bro or young father but ive said from day 1 that he has everything required to make a top top player. Should have had far more game time this season. For some reason PC froze him out. For me i would find a place for in the team as he is tenacious in the tackle, fearless, can run all day and can ping a pass.

Dave Hanson.....?

Except for passing so could Savage and D Powell ;)

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

A couple of the passes he misplaced in the second half were fine though.

They were ambitious through balls that we're screaming "play me!!!". They would have completely turned opened up Forest and were worth the risk. Were only just intercepted too. 

Don't mind seeing that. 

Yes yes yes Alpha .. And that's the point about him. He can SEE a killer pass and isn't afraid to try and he has forward thinking disposition. Just becUse they get intercepted or they don't quite make it doesn't make them wrong. 

He needs a few more games but if he gets a run and continues developing I think we will have a hot property on our hands. And if we ever get a quality right winger and play 442 then he's going to be a dream.

I might be a but over optimistic today mind you :D

5 hours ago, eddie said:

Christie has often been the scape goat for fans, easy target because his defending suffers as the result of his attacking instinct.  He reminds me a lot of glen Johnson and whilst I can understand why you would target him and single him out, i prefer seeing his style over a steady defensive player, even if it results in the odd mistake.

Clean sheet as the result of dropping him, so you can't argue with that, but I thought out attacking intent down that side suffered as the result.

11 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Christie has often been the scape goat for fans, easy target because his defending suffers as the result of his attacking instinct.  He reminds me a lot of glen Johnson and whilst I can understand why you would target him and single him out, i prefer seeing his style over a steady defensive player, even if it results in the odd mistake.

Clean sheet as the result of dropping him, so you can't argue with that, but I thought out attacking intent down that side suffered as the result.

He reminds me of Rod Thomas, whereas Jamie Hanson reminds me of Ron Webster. One was a good attacking full back, one was an excellent full back. Both have their strengths.

Target him? Single him out? Is that what you think I'm doing? All I am saying is that there were a number of reasons why we threw away a 3 goal lead in the last 10 minutes at Rotherham - and not all of them can be laid at the door of Darren Wassall, Richard Keogh, Marcus Olsson or Nick Blackman (forgive me if I have missed any other candidates for scapegoat of the week out). The only reason I brought Cyrus Christie into the equation is the fact that others were intent on narrowing the blame down to one individual. I don't blame anybody, because I'm just not that sort of one-dimensonal person.

I'm an entirely different sort of one-dimensional individual.

Thought Hanson was one of our weaker players on the pitch yesterday, along with Hendrick.

Especially 2nd half, he seemed to misplace far more passes than ones that found their men. Fairly solid defensively although Osborn did manage to get round him a couple of times despite not being a natural winger, Christie's pace would have nullified him completely in my opinion.

That tackle was horrific too, completely misjudged and could have been nasty, not nice to see.

I like Hanson as a midfielder, his work-rate and composure stand him in good stead for the future, I'd start him ahead of Hendrick at CM, but Christie has to start at RB ahead of him for the remainder of the season surely?

I think that's fair - I love the idea of someone coming through from the under 9s or whenever it was that Hanson joined - love the bruiser nickname - love his set pieces from under 21 highlights - think he can go on to be a big player for us and love his attitude.....but despite the result we really missed Christie going forward. 

PistoldPete2
53 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Thought Hanson was one of our weaker players on the pitch yesterday, along with Hendrick.

Especially 2nd half, he seemed to misplace far more passes than ones that found their men. Fairly solid defensively although Osborn did manage to get round him a couple of times despite not being a natural winger, Christie's pace would have nullified him completely in my opinion.

That tackle was horrific too, completely misjudged and could have been nasty, not nice to see.

I like Hanson as a midfielder, his work-rate and composure stand him in good stead for the future, I'd start him ahead of Hendrick at CM, but Christie has to start at RB ahead of him for the remainder of the season surely?

Very bizarre I thought Hanson had an excellent game and was an inspired selection.. just shows you how different people can see a game. Sky had Olsson as MOTM someone else had Shackell both of which i also find very odd. For me it was Hanson.

I like Cyrus and like some of the things he does on the pitch , but I'm afraid he's not good enough for this level and wassall did the right thing bringing Hanson in there , he's obviously seen him play there enough times in the under 21s and knows what he can do ! Hanson has to start the next game in that position !

Christie is a bit of a liability for me. Too many attempted tricks, and poor decision making. Takes far too long to cross a ball, often tries to take on his opponent, and the the few times he succeeds, he often slows play down and said opponent has time to catch up. I wouldn't have him anywhere near my team.

Hanson had a poor first 20 minutes, got told to play further up the pitch and suddenly offered a lot more. He's our best set piece taker, but isn't being allowed to take them yet, and i feel could grow and develop into a more prolific player.

I like what Wassall did here, and I hope he has the balls to keep Hanson at RB.

Archived