Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think his biggest strength is probably his versatility. I don't see him as a particularly promising player in any one position, but being able to 'a job' in arguably as many as three different positions makes him a good option.

Like a poor mans Calum Chambers. A player who probably wouldn't even get in say Stoke City's first-team XI, but has a role at a big club due to being versatile.

The comparison I have made is John Eustace. Good footballing brain if a little short on actual ability on the ball, safe pair of feet, has the "know-how" - and I'd put good money on Eustace not looking as good as Hanson age 20.

Eustace was a huge asset for us, despite being a pretty poor passer and a little clumsy in the tackle. But I swear he could stare at a football and make it move with pure experience.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The comparison I have made is John Eustace. Good footballing brain if a little short on actual ability on the ball, safe pair of feet, has the "know-how" - and I'd put good money on Eustace not looking as good as Hanson age 20.

Eustace was a huge asset for us, despite being a pretty poor passer and a little clumsy in the tackle. But I swear he could stare at a football and make it move with pure experience.

Eustace was a regular in the PL at 20, and when we got to see him play regularly was in his 30's after a career blighted with injuries.  Hanson is 20, hasn't got an established position, and has only featured in a handful of first team games, if he can reach the standards of Eustace he will have made a good career for himself.

For me he will be a championship player, and really needs to get a regular run of games under his belt, at 20 he needs to kick his career on.  I have seen most of his games, and have to agree that as the result of him being an academy player, we do look at him through rose tinted glasses.

Having said all that, I'm also happy in the knowledge that it doesn't matter what I think, and the chances of me being wrong are highly likely, in an area that I only pretend to know what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Eustace was a regular in the PL at 20, and when we got to see him play regularly was in his 30's after a career blighted with injuries.  Hanson is 20, hasn't got an established position, and has only featured in a handful of first team games, if he can reach the standards of Eustace he will have made a good career for himself.

For me he will be a championship player, and really needs to get a regular run of games under his belt, at 20 he needs to kick his career on.  I have seen most of his games, and have to agree that as the result of him being an academy player, we do look at him through rose tinted glasses.

Having said all that, I'm also happy in the knowledge that it doesn't matter what I think, and the chances of me being wrong are highly likely, in an area that I only pretend to know what I'm talking about.

Fair enough, not old enough to have followed Eustace's career. But it's a football forum, so I'm allowed to make stuff up for the sake of my argument.

I remember similar stuff being said about Hendrick, on both sides. Half thought he was the next big thing, the other half writing him off as average. I guess the truth has become somewhere in between - he's not played at the top level in club football yet, but he's close to 200 appearances for a top-end Championship club and has become a key part of a national football team qualifying for major tournaments. Not bad for someone described as Championship at best when he broke into the first team.

I don't like Hanson because he's from the academy, I like him because his first thought, no matter where he's playing, is to look up and play a pass.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Fair enough, not old enough to have followed Eustace's career. But it's a football forum, so I'm allowed to make stuff up for the sake of my argument.

I remember similar stuff being said about Hendrick, on both sides. Half thought he was the next big thing, the other half writing him off as average. I guess the truth has become somewhere in between - he's not played at the top level in club football yet, but he's close to 200 appearances for a top-end Championship club and has become a key part of a national football team qualifying for major tournaments. Not bad for someone described as Championship at best when he broke into the first team.

I don't like Hanson because he's from the academy, I like him because his first thought, no matter where he's playing, is to look up and play a pass.

We all like Hanson. 

He is still learning. 

Whats his best position .

Did you think that challenge when he got booked was reckless. 

That tackle had the effect he desired. Pretty sure that was the last time Osborn tried to run past him (having watched the full 90 yesterday, may have missed something though as I was "working"). 

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That tackle had the effect he desired. Pretty sure that was the last time Osborn tried to run past him (having watched the full 90 yesterday, may have missed something though as I was "working"). 

Caused a free kick in a bad area which meant we had mayhem in the box with Mills rattling Carson and Keogh doing his theatrics and Buxton holding and getting generally stuck in. 

My point is that Hanson needs to be careful at times that's all. 

Always want to keep 11 against 11. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Caused a free kick in a bad area which meant we had mayhem in the box with Mills rattling Carson and Keogh doing his theatrics and Buxton holding and getting generally stuck in. 

My point is that Hanson needs to be careful at times that's all. 

Always want to keep 11 against 11. 

The Hanson tackle that he got booked for happened in the 53rd minute. Buxton wasn't on the pitch yet and as I said, it stopped Osborn trying to run past Hanson. I would say it was totally worth doing, he was never going to get a red for it. Just an old school tackle.

The Mills, Carson, Buxton, Keogh stuff all happened from a corner in the 84th minute.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The Hanson tackle that he got booked for happened in the 53rd minute. Buxton wasn't on the pitch yet and as I said, it stopped Osborn trying to run past Hanson. I would say it was totally worth doing, he was never going to get a red for it. Just an old school tackle.

The Mills, Carson, Buxton, Keogh stuff all happened from a corner in the 84th minute.

Haven't watched the game again but the tackle in the West/ north corner was a bad one.  

He also misplaced 3 passes on the run 2nd half but did put a good pass in just before the Olsson goal. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Haven't watch the game again but the tackle in the West/ north corner was a bad one.  

He also misplaced 3 passes on the run 2nd half but did put a good pass in just before the Olsson goal. 

Wasn't bad one though. Correct yellow all day long!

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Christie is a better option than Hanson at RB 

I prefer Christie there but you are off your rocker if you think any are better in that position, defensively. And in the long run, Stabana will be better than the both of them. Its a position where we have a wealth of riches.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Needed to stay on his feet though and no need to dive in. 

It was useful. I'd take one FK and a yellow card if its even possible that its the reason their winger doesn't try to run in behind again - over "staying on his feet" and more than likely have them end up with a corner plus maybe having Osborn continuously run at him for the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

We all like Hanson. 

He is still learning. 

Whats his best position .

Did you think that challenge when he got booked was reckless. 

That tackle was just a bit daft rather than reckless. No real chance of causing injury but it did give away a free kick in a dangerous area. That will have been pointed out and he will learn from it. 

18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It was useful. I'd take one FK and a yellow card if its even possible that its the reason their winger doesn't try to run in behind again - over "staying on his feet" and more than likely have them end up with a corner plus maybe having Osborn continuously run at him for the rest of the game.

Getting a yellow card tends to encourage players to run at you rather than the opposite. 

11 minutes ago, bcnram said:

That tackle was just a bit daft rather than reckless. No real chance of causing injury but it did give away a free kick in a dangerous area. That will have been pointed out and he will learn from it. 

That's a good answer. 

It needed pointing out. 

He's still a bit naive for me but he will learn. 

He did ok though but I still think he's vulnerable to pacey wingers at RB. 

The jury is out for me. 

39 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I prefer Christie there but you are off your rocker if you think any are better in that position, defensively. And in the long run, Stabana will be better than the both of them. Its a position where we have a wealth of riches.

I've seen Stabana he looks ok. 

We don't have a wealth of talent at RB or in the U21s I totally disagree. 

They are all ok. 

No one stands out as a superstar like a Hughes type. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

That's a good answer. 

It needed pointing out. 

He's still a bit naive for me but he will learn. 

He did ok though but I still think he's vulnerable to pacey wingers at RB. 

The jury is out for me. 

Better option than Baird or Shotton were.

17 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Getting a yellow card tends to encourage players to run at you rather than the opposite. 

From a spectators perspective. The pain inflicted on a young winger, and the look Hanson had that it was entirely intentional, does have an effect on the mind. 

That was the whole point of "reducers" years back. 

He's gotten the nickname Bruiser among the squad for his playstyle, not because he likes to punch people in the shower. He will get red cards as a Derby player. He will not change.

Archived