Hanson a great player in the making?

toddy

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

From a spectators perspective. The pain inflicted on a young winger, and the look Hanson had that it was entirely intentional, does have an effect on the mind. 

That was the whole point of "reducers" years back. 

Not allowed these days. 

Hanson is called bruiser for a reason other than boxing it's his ferocity in the tackle. 

He needs to be aware of how far he can go .

Premier League will test bruiser. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years back it was a way to stop wingers and get away with it. Modern day it leaves you vulnerable to at worst a second yellow and off, and at best reduces your effectiveness as a defender for fear of getting the second yellow.

I actually don't like the fact that he is called Bruiser.

No doubt this came about naturally due to his style play, but a young player like Hanson might be a little over eager to live up to his nickname on the pitch.  Hopefully he won't fall into that trap.  Everyone would like to see him keep a competitive edge i'm sure, but not at the expense of making stupid tackles that will get him into trouble.

That's where the football sense comes in, knowing who to do it to and when. All a learning process. But he's not going to stop poleaxing wingers, is my point. He will get it wrong on occasion, he will get yellows too early and be punished, he may go too hard and get a straight red. These things will probably happen. 

But what he learns from those experiences wont be to stop poleaxing opponents, he'll just get a better understanding of who to do it to and when.

He got the timing, and the target right on Saturday. Forest hardly attacked down that side again, he didn't get sent off, the position of the FK was no more dangerous than the corner he would have probably given up had he stayed on his feet. 

As I've said, there will be times in the future when he does something that he misjudged and we're ruing it, or in a best case talking about "how it could have cost us". But this isn't one of those times, this time he got it spot on, and when that happens I think rather than sit here worrying about him I think we should just enjoy the **** outta his playstyle. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

We all like Hanson. 

He is still learning. 

Whats his best position .

Did you think that challenge when he got booked was reckless. 

The opportunity was there to take the ball with the man in a perfectly legitimate sense. If he had timed it right it would not only have been a great tackle but would have made a statement to the opposition. Shame he got it wrong.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Is he a great player in the making. Is he one of our own. 

Possibly is the answer to your first question. (even though you didn't add any question marks)

No is the answer to your second question. 

Wouldn't be forming any opinions about Hanson's suitability at RB on the basis of one game in the position. I thought he showed promise to be fair. I'd not be looking to get shot of Christie either.  Right now there's room in the squad for both and there remain players on the roster far less likely to be used in future than either of these guys.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Possibly is the answer to your first question. (even though you didn't add any question marks)

No is the answer to your second question. 

Didn't realise it was an English lesson. 

So you think Christie isn't one of our own. 

Just now, curtains said:

Didn't realise it was an English lesson. 

So you think Christie isn't one of our own. 

No. He was 22 when we signed him. He is a product of Coventry's youth system. 

Just now, curtains said:

He's now one of our own. I hate this distinction that if you are Derbys academy product you are more one of our own. 

That's what the phrase means!

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Was Kevin Hector or Roy Mac one of our own 

I think you're confusing the literary definition of the phrase with it's colloquial usage in a footballing context. 

Or do you think that all the fans at all the clubs in England who sing "He's one of our own" to maybe one player on the team are just picking that player at random?

@Ovis aries made the point that people were 'crucifying' an academy product of Derby when talking about Hanson. You came in with input regarding Christie (which in itself was irrelevant and confusing, hence my use of Fry), and then used the phrase "one of our own".

This implied that you were of the belief that Christie was an academy product, and I was simply trying to remind you that he wasn't.

On 3/20/2016 at 19:44, YorkshireRam said:
21 minutes ago, curtains said:

He's now one of our own. I hate this distinction that if you are Derbys academy product you are more one of our own. 

Thought Hanson was one of our weaker players on the pitch yesterday, along with Hendrick.

Especially 2nd half, he seemed to misplace far more passes than ones that found their men. Fairly solid defensively although Osborn did manage to get round him a couple of times despite not being a natural winger, Christie's pace would have nullified him completely in my opinion.

That tackle was horrific too, completely misjudged and could have been nasty, not nice to see.

I like Hanson as a midfielder, his work-rate and composure stand him in good stead for the future, I'd start him ahead of Hendrick at CM, but Christie has to start at RB ahead of him for the remainder of the season surely?

One of our own means somebody born or raised locally. If you were born in Coventry, Cyrus would be one of you're own.

25 minutes ago, ossieram said:

One of our own means somebody born or raised locally. If you were born in Coventry, Cyrus would be one of you're own.

I'm just being pedantic. 

Half the academy players weren't born in Derby and Hanson is a Burton lad lol

Archived