Hull City v Derby County

Day

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see all of this.  Had tickets to see Stewart Francis - a must see for all pun gents. Saw enough in the first 45 mins though to suggest that we must have got absolutely battered in the second half if Bris has come to the view that the result flattered us.  What I saw, unlike the Forest game, was a team come out, at it from the start (but not gung ho), who tamed the Tiger. Made a pretty good team look shabby for a good 30 mins. If we sat back and played on the counter second half well done Paul Clement.  It's nice being top of the league. It's nicer still to see some positive comments now coming out on this board re. Butterfield, Warnock, Weimann and indeed Clement. Too many under-estimate how long it can take to settle and many should be much more supportive of our new boys to give them time to succeed. 

Can't believe I just wrote several paragraphs and they didn't send!

Shortened version, our fans brilliant, great to hear and see them, flags and all on the Sky TV, great performance, from our support. Unfortunately no close up of Eddies naked lucky ankles, but Butters soon delivered and signed off quicker than angierams lucky van.

The family have left me in bed with toy Rammie, as they've had enough of me singing "We are top of the league........"

For those still staying in Hull enjoy the wonderful city and people.

This afternoon I will go visit my Hull born and Hull City supporting Mum and Dad and enjoy another good sing song whilst scoffing my Mam's home bakes, whilst listening to my moaning father who'll probably blame the ref, who I though played well, except for missing a couple of HC corners which we'd defend brilliantly anyway. My Dad that moved our family up on my 13th Birthday, from Cottingham to Aberdeen, a journey which I cried all the way. Yeah I'll enjoy singing this afternoon.

Anyway these are the good times people, so enjoy them and get right behind Super Paul Clement, that has the players, playing with patience, belief, understanding the importance of possession, when to pass it, control it, defend it and how to turn the opposition away from goal and to limit their capabilities.

Simplicity is Genius......Keep on believing in Super Paul Clement and a big thank you to the wonderful people at Derby County Football Club for bringing Paul Clement to our wonderful club and these good times back to our wonderful supporters, The 1884 Group take a bow.

For those still in Hull enjoy yourselves in a wonderful place with its wonderful people, and don't believe the sh1te that the British media write about the place, putting it down with places far worse like Middlesbrough, clueless press.

Think I'll wear my KeepThe Faith Derby County shirt today. Off for a long sing song in the shower, and I hope I wake up the whole of Inverurie, the whole of Aberdeenshire etc.

"We're top of the league, we're top of the league, we're Derby County, we're top of the league".........

A highly professional and sensible performance. The kind we have needed to be able to do for the last few seasons. We didn't go there to counter. We took our game to Hull got ourselves a 2-0 lead and then challenged them to break us down as we looked to hit them on the counter. I thought we showed a huge amount of discipline.

I like to look at it that we played our A game for 35-40 mins and that was enough.

No way would we have come out with 3 points in that game in the previous two seasons. Shows how far we've come under Clement and the improved mental strength to go into a big game, play confidently and get the best result.

Hull were absolutely deflated at the end, they just ran out of ideas!

Yes they missed a few chances but when you're 2-0 up away from home of course you're going to expect the opposition to go all out. But we handled it well and didn't just win but truly beat what many would say is the best team in the championship.

Bruce said they missed their big players... maybe! But we had Hughes and Johnson out, probably two of the best midfielders in the championship! So pundits may think they have the best team but surely that result and performance shows we probably have the best squad and team spirit!

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Thought it was quite hard, came at him at pace and he took it on the half-volley.

Maloney's was easy, I'm amazed he missed he had the whole of Carson's right to aim for (like 75% of the goal) and stupidly went the other side.

Ince had time to bring it down but it sat up nicely so chose to hit 1st time, I don't think it did come at him with pace, Martin flicked it over to him. He had time and space in front of goal with no defender near him. Maloney's was harder as he had defenders around him and was running at full pace and the ball was bobbling all over, hence why he scuffed his shot.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The game I watched was one where we scored two well-taken goals and then sat back for an hour. It probbaly wouldn't have gone that way had we not scored those two goals, and it was a clear tactic to sit on the lead.

Hull created three glorious chances and will feel aggrieved not to have scored at last one. Those three chances were all far better than a 25-yard pot-shot from Butterfield but we scored, they didn't.

It's hard to say whether we were the better team. I'd like to think that had Hull scored first, the roles would have been reversed and we would have had 65% possession and carved out big chances.

The goals, like the Forest match, set the tone for the game.

It's hard to say we won by a mile and outclassed them when we stopped attacking after 30 minutes. 

Once at 2-0, I was confident we would pick up at least a point. We never looked like losing simply because Hull didn't take any of their chances. Doesn't mean to say they didn't create anything.

Yes but I think we were the better team for the first half hour... We had four shots on target to their none. It wasn't just that we had a pot shot and got lucky. After that sure we sat back but that's not to say we didn't have chances on the break it was a very good away performance when it really mattered.

hull are quite possibly the best team we will play all season and we went to their place and beat them with some comfort in the end. No we didn't outclass them but we were the better team because of the way we came out of the blocks right from the start. Yes, that's setting the tone. If we hadn't got those early goals who knows, but we did and that's all I care about... We are Derby and we are top of the league.

I thought we never looked completely in control but as the game went on it was quite clear Clement had got the team well drilled to defend a lead. I think Hull had 3 chances which they didn't take. Great result that made up for 3 hours in traffic on the M1 and getting piss wet through walking to the ground.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nice comments from Steve Bruce:

"Congratulations to Derby, they're easily the best team we've seen here. And they're the ones at the moment who we've got to beat [in the promotion race]"

"Once they got in-front, they're a difficult system to break down. They don't leave many spaces between them, and once again we've seen a team come here and play on the counter which they're ery, very good at."

"I think we have to lick our wounds, get on with it and accept we were beaten by the better team on the night."

Bruce clearly has a higher opinion of our performance than you have!

Not seen one mention on the forum lately of the effect that Kevin Phillips(and I hope I have got his forename right)is having on this team,if he came here to improve players goal scoring ability,then it is working well.He is always sitting close to Clem discussing tactics.Thank you Kevin,keep them scoring.

13 minutes ago, harryram said:

Makes me laugh teams pulling out the we were missing a few of our big players, don't think there are bigger players than BJ and WH in this league would have included Forsyth but I am in a state of shock over warnocks recent performances. 

The shock for me was the way that some people wrote Warnock off following one rash challenge

A very good,result and performance,in a difficult fixture,,,How nice for every one at the club,to look forward to the week end,and watch the results come in,Knowing we are with the front runners.

And gave one of the favorites ,a pointless weekend .The effort and determination was their for all to see,and it was a joy to watch.--Well  Done---UP THE RAMS

Last night was the best away performance ive seen from us in years. The perfect away performance. Defensively as a team. We were outstanding. Counter attacking football was superb. 

Carson 9- That save in the first half was world class. Make no bones about it. De Gea makes that save and we dont hear the end of it. Very good save in the second half as well (even though the ref didnt spot it) he commands his area so well and you can see how vocal he is. One of the best signings we have made this summer. 

Chrstie 9- Outstanding. Very good going forward and very good defensively. Looks a real player at the minute. On a par with Warnock for MOM. 

Keogh 9- Brilliant. Won every header. Not just that but the headers were out of danger. Excellent performance. Him and Shackell together are one of, if not, the best defensive pairings in the league. The stats back this up. 

Shackell 9- Has he had a bad game since he signed? I dont think he has. Outstanding and he has taken Keogh's game to a new level. Makes defending look so easy because his positional play is so so good. 

Warnock 10- MOM. Just ahead of Christie. Which is why ive given him the extra mark. He was outstanding. So experienced. When a winger runs at him, he waits and waits and just puts his foot in and nicks the ball. He deserves a 10 also because he has been MOM in the last 3 games. 

Thorne 9- So so good. By far and away the best player in the league. We are so lucky to have him in our squad. He should be playing in the Premier League. If it wasnt for those 2 injuries, he would be. Just brilliant. 

Butterfield 9- Excellent. The lad has got such a low centre of gravity which makes it hard for the opposition to know which way he is going to go. He can use both feet too. 2 excellent finishes and a very good all round display. Unlucky to be subbed off. 

Hendrick 7- Largly annonymous. He gave the ball away a few times. Didnt do anything for me to suggest he should keep Johnson out the side. Ok defensively.

Weimann 8- Worked his absolute socks off. Defensively very good. Great run for the first goal. Just sometimes his decision making in the final third is poor. 

Ince 8- Like Weimann. Worked very hard and was up and down all night. Superb effort towards the end which I thought had gone in. Us fans expect a lot of Ince because of how he did last season. But I thought he put a good shift in last night. 

Martin 7- Not the best performance from Martin. A few times he had the ball in good positions and played a poor pass. But still so integral. Big part in the first goal. Same as Cardiff last weekend. Wasnt the best performance but still had big hand in the goal. 

Subs-

Bryson 5- Didnt notice him at all to be honest. Not sure he had enough of the ball to make an impact. 

Russell 2- I know he was only on the pitch for about 10 minutes. But he had the ball 4 times and gave it away every single time.

Management 9- Brilliant. Defensively we were outstanding. The way we set up was perfect. My one slight criticism is that I would have taken Hendrick off for Bryson. But other fans will have a different opinion to me on that. I felt Butterfield was having much more of an impact than Hendrick. He might have left Hendrick on for his strength (even though he gets barged off the ball so easily)

All in all. A superb away performance. We are the real deal this year. I said we would win this before kick off. We have it all. Back 4, Midfield and front 3. Our spine is the best in the league. Simple as that. 

Onwards and upwards. 

You Rams!!!

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Didn't see all of this.  Had tickets to see Stewart Francis - a must see for all pun gents. Saw enough in the first 45 mins though to suggest that we must have got absolutely battered in the second half if Bris has come to the view that the result flattered us.  What I saw, unlike the Forest game, was a team come out, at it from the start (but not gung ho), who tamed the Tiger. Made a pretty good team look shabby for a good 30 mins. If we sat back and played on the counter second half well done Paul Clement.  It's nice being top of the league. It's nicer still to see some positive comments now coming out on this board re. Butterfield, Warnock, Weimann and indeed Clement. Too many under-estimate how long it can take to settle and many should be much more supportive of our new boys to give them time to succeed. 

How was stew francis? Some him a few months back doing a 'work in progress' show for this tour and that was brilliant as well as giving a good insight into how he gets it all so polished. Love how you think he is just doing puns but knits the whole thing together beautifully.

58 minutes ago, eddie said:

The shock for me was the way that some people wrote Warnock off following one rash challenge

......which wasn't even worth a booking imo.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Warnock wrote off after that red card

Keogh wrote off after the Wembley error 

Butterfield wrote off after his first couple of games

Weimann wrote off after his first couple of games

Carson wrote off due to past errors (Shamefully, I was one of those who criticised this signing)

And even Clement was wrote off by the odd Derby fan on here and Twitter after our slow start

It's the Derby way 

Archived