Hull City v Derby County

Day

Can't understand what has happened with Russell. before the Florist game he looked outstanding and our best offensive player. Now he can hardly stop from giving the ball away every time. Not quite sure why he was dropped- poor Florist display ? Was he alone in that regard ?!

Confidence now hit by being dropped ? Or maybe trying too hard when he gets on now trying to impress too soon ?

Sure he will come again...just perplexed how a player can go from 9 to 2 in two games....

Shame...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, caymanram said:

Or maybe trying too hard when he gets on now trying to impress too soon ?

Definitely think it's this. You could see as soon as he came on when he got the ball he tried to knock it past their full back and run. It's admirable but when it doesn't come off, and you've only 10 minutes to go, giving the ball away cheaply in your own half is not a smart thing to do.

Can see he really wants to impress, and he's trying to do the right things, but his ability is slightly behind at the moment. I'm still confident that he will shine again when his chance comes around. It's a squad game, Ince or Weimann have got the shirts at the moment, but one game could completely change that. Still absolutely adore the man, no homo.

12 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Can't believe I just wrote several paragraphs and they didn't send!

Shortened version, our fans brilliant, great to hear and see them, flags and all on the Sky TV, great performance, from our support. Unfortunately no close up of Eddies naked lucky ankles, but Butters soon delivered and signed off quicker than angierams lucky van.

The family have left me in bed with toy Rammie, as they've had enough of me singing "We are top of the league........"

For those still staying in Hull enjoy the wonderful city and people.

This afternoon I will go visit my Hull born and Hull City supporting Mum and Dad and enjoy another good sing song whilst scoffing my Mam's home bakes, whilst listening to my moaning father who'll probably blame the ref, who I though played well, except for missing a couple of HC corners which we'd defend brilliantly anyway. My Dad that moved our family up on my 13th Birthday, from Cottingham to Aberdeen, a journey which I cried all the way. Yeah I'll enjoy singing this afternoon.

Anyway these are the good times people, so enjoy them and get right behind Super Paul Clement, that has the players, playing with patience, belief, understanding the importance of possession, when to pass it, control it, defend it and how to turn the opposition away from goal and to limit their capabilities.

Simplicity is Genius......Keep on believing in Super Paul Clement and a big thank you to the wonderful people at Derby County Football Club for bringing Paul Clement to our wonderful club and these good times back to our wonderful supporters, The 1884 Group take a bow.

For those still in Hull enjoy yourselves in a wonderful place with its wonderful people, and don't believe the sh1te that the British media write about the place, putting it down with places far worse like Middlesbrough, clueless press.

Think I'll wear my KeepThe Faith Derby County shirt today. Off for a long sing song in the shower, and I hope I wake up the whole of Inverurie, the whole of Aberdeenshire etc.

"We're top of the league, we're top of the league, we're Derby County, we're top of the league".........

Yep told the misses in the car, on route to my Mam and Dad's, I said "I bet the old fella blames the ref and tells me how slow Huddlestone is"......I walked in the lounge and his first words were "How much did you pay the ref, was he driving the Derby team coach home, and as for slow coaches, that Huddlestone well he couldn't get any slower"........I just smiled and sang and ate the majority of my Mam's lovely home baked cakes! Dad's ya gotta love em!

I was totally pissed off with the Derby players after the forest game, I was critical beyond words, but I now feel that result was a blessing, coz we came out last night and made sure we didn't make the same mistake, forest taught us a lesson, a lesson I think the team have learned from, a lesson that will get us promoted...if so cheers forest

23 minutes ago, Leon the ram 2009 said:

I was totally pissed off with the Derby players after the forest game, I was critical beyond words, but I now feel that result was a blessing, coz we came out last night and made sure we didn't make the same mistake, forest taught us a lesson, a lesson I think the team have learned from, a lesson that will get us promoted...if so cheers forest

I don't think there was anything different in the approach, They key incident in the Forest game was they scored from their first attack and the tone was then set for the rest of the match.

If that goal had instead ended up in row Z, who knows what would have happened? Likewise, had Hull scored a 20-yard pot-shot after 5 minutes perhaps they would have gone on to cruise past us 3-0.

First goals are all so important at this level, as most of the time it sets the tone for the entire match and allows the leader to just sit back and play on the counter.

Derby have yet to come from behind and win this season. So anytime a 25-yard pot shot or a defensive error gives the opposition the lead, it will take some effort for us to come back from.

And I'm not entirely convicned we have that sort of penetration in our locker just yet. Our success this season has been built on a decent defence.

Don't think we've seen the best of Wiemann yet. He'll start splitting teams wide open soon, making space for the likes of Martin, Ince or whoever else to rip the net open.

Ince is always there or there abouts for some reason they just can't find him at the moment, I think the rest of his game is very good. 

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think there was anything different in the approach, They key incident in the Forest game was they scored from their first attack and the tone was then set for the rest of the match.

If that goal had instead ended up in row Z, who knows what would have happened? Likewise, had Hull scored a 20-yard pot-shot after 5 minutes perhaps they would have gone on to cruise past us 3-0.

First goals are all so important at this level, as most of the time it sets the tone for the entire match and allows the leader to just sit back and play on the counter.

Derby have yet to come from behind and win this season. So anytime a 25-yard pot shot or a defensive error gives the opposition the lead, it will take some effort for us to come back from.

And I'm not entirely convicned we have that sort of penetration in our locker just yet. Our success this season has been built on a decent defence.

I think that this season, every time Derby have scored first, we have won. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. We have been pegged back to level on a couple of occasions, eg MK Dons, Wolves, but have emerged victorious in the end.

We attacked them from the kick off, we played with energy, we are reacting first to the lose balls  and the midfield played high up pressing Hull - it worked and we took 2 of our 4 chances on goal....Hull change formation and came into the game 10 mins from HT and from then on they dominated us for the remainder of the game, in terms of possession and chances/attempts.

Fortunately they could find the target especially Maloney and when they did Carson was at his best. We had lady luck with us at Hull, we defended well but were really 2nd best, but hey sometimes that happens let us take that lady luck to Sheffield and see if we can do it again.

Only concern from the game was we do have problems with playing well for 90 mins, it was again a game of two halves.....

Two up is precarious, if we had conceded the pressure would have been on us. Surely it is better once we have gone two up to go for the third as it can kill the game off, then defend that three in lead?

Poor finishing by Hull what was the difference, 63% possession and 23 chances they had, but Carson only had 2 saves to make - they did miss some sitters.

40 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Wouldn't say we were second best. We let them have possession and eased off. If by some chance we'd conceded, I think the tempo would change up again. But when you are 2 up it's reasonable to sit back and defend a little. 

Agreed. On the night we were the better side - taking the game to Hull for the first half hour, getting 2 goals under our belt then taking a more pragmatic approach to the rest of the match. Hull are a good, solid team and at home, you can expect them to make chances - down to the quality of their strikers whether they take them or not. I reckon Carson made just the one top-class save, the one in the first half - the second half tip over was either going over or at worst would have hit the bar.

Some of the 'negative' comments posted, in my opinion, have been made with tongues in cheeks and maybe aimed at generating a bit of banter - others, well, you just knew what to expect!

2 hours ago, super rams said:

We attacked them from the kick off, we played with energy, we are reacting first to the lose balls  and the midfield played high up pressing Hull - it worked and we took 2 of our 4 chances on goal....Hull change formation and came into the game 10 mins from HT and from then on they dominated us for the remainder of the game, in terms of possession and chances/attempts.

Fortunately they could find the target especially Maloney and when they did Carson was at his best. We had lady luck with us at Hull, we defended well but were really 2nd best, but hey sometimes that happens let us take that lady luck to Sheffield and see if we can do it again.

Only concern from the game was we do have problems with playing well for 90 mins, it was again a game of two halves.....

I don't think we are ruthless enough.I don't know if it is a lack of hunger,but we should

be hammering them more when we are on top. I like the way we play,by the way.

23 hours ago, i-Ram said:

He was good buddy, very clever guy.  In some ways the venue (The Brighton Dome) was too big for him/his style of comedy as he just stands there and tells joke after joke, and doesn't own the stage or really interact with the audience. The quality of the writing and delivery is spot on though. My favourite comedian by some distance though is Stewart Lee. He is currently polishing his material for another Comedy Vehicle series for the BBC, but I think that guy genius (although I know many think, including my wife, that he is a smug git). Before anyone jumps in, yes, that is probably why I like him.

Stewart Lee is a different class. Surprised  a right winger like you likes Lee.

Not sure if I'm the first Tigers fan to add to this thread, but would like to say that we were well beaten. I suspect that if we were still playing now we still wouldn't have found the net. I would also like to add that there are a number of your players that I would have at the KC in a heart beat. Pick of the crop for me.......Butterfield. He looks a cut above. If only we had someone that was as willing to scream one from distance as he does. And very comfortable on the ball. That said, if your'e  one place behind us come the end of the season, you'll be going up automatically. That was not our best day at the office, but all credit, mainly due to a solid Derby performance worthy of all others to take note of. Bring on the re-match!!! 

5 hours ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Not sure if I'm the first Tigers fan to add to this thread, but would like to say that we were well beaten. I suspect that if we were still playing now we still wouldn't have found the net. I would also like to add that there are a number of your players that I would have at the KC in a heart beat. Pick of the crop for me.......Butterfield. He looks a cut above. If only we had someone that was as willing to scream one from distance as he does. And very comfortable on the ball. That said, if your'e  one place behind us come the end of the season, you'll be going up automatically. That was not our best day at the office, but all credit, mainly due to a solid Derby performance worthy of all others to take note of. Bring on the re-match!!! 

Nice to come on pal. Knowing the Derby team George Thorne is our best player, Butterfield scored two beauts on Friday but he hasn't set our team a light. I was at the KC on Friday I never felt Derby were in command but we sat back once we went two up. I thought Hull kept possession very well and looked a good side. Good luck for the rest of the season apart from the return match. 

Any match can we won, irrespective of possession or dominance if you have a player who can shoot on sight and score. Which team is 'better' becomes irrelevant if you have clinical finishing. Points win prizes. Hull are still a bit stronger than us but we are getting better. One defeat for Hull with three rivals winning and one drawing means they developed a 'deficit' of ten points against the front runners which they will find difficulty getting back because none of the pack are very good at losing games. we need to beat Sheff Wed and Brighton just to keep in touch.

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Nice to come on pal. Knowing the Derby team George Thorne is our best player, Butterfield scored two beauts on Friday but he hasn't set our team a light. I was at the KC on Friday I never felt Derby were in command but we sat back once we went two up. I thought Hull kept possession very well and looked a good side. Good luck for the rest of the season apart from the return match. 

Fair point Gritters, you know your team way better than me. But Reckon JB is only 90% from fully fit and 70% of his potential. He was rumoured to be on our radar in last seasons Jan window while at Huddersfield, so many of us were following his form. Single handedly kept them up. Reminds me of Paul Scholes. Plays some simple one touch stuff, chuckle brother me to you style to move opposition midfielders around, then turns to ping a 40 yard pass on to a team mates nob end. And like Scholes is lethal from the edge of the box with 2 genuinely good feet. Me, I'd play him more centrally and let him run the show. Would have him over Huddlestone any time. I've got Money on us both going up automatically so not altogether an end of the world result on Friday. That said, a wake up call for some of the Tigers players that this is not a stroll back to the Premiership. I get the impression some can't be arsed. Still confident we'll go up as champions however. Let's see! In a menacing Arnie Schwartz  styleeeee...... I'll be back!!! #UTT!

Archived