Hull City v Derby County

Day

I cannot believe how Christie has developed under Shackell and Clement. He is a different player to the one Keogh was balling at in March last year.  Missed most of the first half thanks to traffic and a very adventurous de-tour around the glass on the M1, but it was worth it to see Derby kill the game. I've been waiting a long time to see that.  They pressed us and pressed us in the second half but it didn't matter. Derby were quality tonight and they all looked like they enjoyed it. I know I did.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rynny said:

What about Ince's effort near the end? I think that was probably the best chance of the game.

Thought it was quite hard, came at him at pace and he took it on the half-volley.

Maloney's was easy, I'm amazed he missed he had the whole of Carson's right to aim for (like 75% of the goal) and stupidly went the other side.

33 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Sorry, I disagree to me we got 2 goals up by being on the front foot , and passing the ball into feet and moving it around very well , then once in front , we managed the game very well, do not forget we had 4 shots on target , scored 2 , hull had 2 shots on  target and scored 0 , we defo deserved to win , and everyone on sky agrees , so how come a so call Derby fan , like yourself does not see this.

Never said we didn't deserve to win, and also never said we didn't manage the game well. We clearly did.

But to say we were by miles the better team is a bit off, especially when Boro did exactly the same to us and we would have largely called it an injust win had it not been for a late Russell equaliser.

Our performance after 30 minutes was directly linked to the result that the time, and we held out.

But that doesn't mean we outclassed them or were by miles the better team. I'd call outclassing a team as dominating them with possession and chances over 90 minutes, like against Cardiff.

Not sitting back, soaking up pressure for an hour and relying on Carson to pull off two worldies and Maloney to miss a sitter.

I'm not bemoaning our method of winning. Maybe had we continued to attack, we could have been caught out at the back and ended up conceding a few more. It was clearly a case of 'keep the lead' and it worked.

But let's not get carried away and make out it was an amazing performance. It was a good one with a bit of luck involved, luck we we've been due after all those early-season deflected goals against us.

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Never said we didn't deserve to win, and also never said we didn't manage the game well. We clearly did.

But to say we were by miles the better team is a bit off, especially when Boro did exactly the same to us and we would have largely called it an injust win had it not been for a late Russell equaliser.

Our performance after 30 minutes was directly linked to the result that the time, and we held out.

But that doesn't mean we outclassed them or were by miles the better team. I'd call outclassing a team as dominating them with possession and chances over 90 minutes, like against Cardiff.

Not sitting back, soaking up pressure for an hour and relying on Carson to pull off two worldies and Maloney to miss a sitter.

I'm not bemoaning our method of winning. Maybe had we continued to attack, we could have been caught out at the back and ended up conceding a few more. It was clearly a case of 'keep the lead' and it worked.

But let's not get carried away and make out it was an amazing performance. It was a good one with a bit of luck involved, luck we we've been due after all those early-season deflected goals against us.

That wanna luck mate. That was us shagging them up the arse in their own back yard.

We we're the better team for 90 mins and won 2-0.

Brilliant all round team performance. Special mentions for Weimann, Thorne, Warnock, Christie, Carson and Butters.Tactically very good too, needed a bit of luck at times but what do you expect away to the league leaders? With a bit more precision on the counter we could have had another one in the second half. How good does that sound, top of the league and hopefully with more improvement to come.

Nice comments from Steve Bruce:

"Congratulations to Derby, they're easily the best team we've seen here. And they're the ones at the moment who we've got to beat [in the promotion race]"

"Once they got in-front, they're a difficult system to break down. They don't leave many spaces between them, and once again we've seen a team come here and play on the counter which they're ery, very good at."

"I think we have to lick our wounds, get on with it and accept we were beaten by the better team on the night."

I missed the whole thing due to other commitments. Had to get updates on the score from a forest fan via his phone!

looking forward to watching the full 90 and delighted for butterfield who i really rate.

He seems to be the perfect replacement for hughes. Someone in the scouting department deserves to get the accolades for that signing.

The signings of shackell and carson appear to have sorted out the dodgy defence. Christie deserves credit too.

thorne back gives us the ideal platform to play from.

and then its huge credit to mel for shelling out for weimann, ince, johnson, and butterfield. We are so much stronger than last year.....and with further back up in reserve. Its looking good.

I'd allow myself to get really giddy if it wasn't for forest away.

Steve Bruce says we went there to counter attack. 

No, we went there to get on the ball and keep possession. Which we did and that got us ahead

THEN, we went counter attacking.

Same as Boro did to us. But not the same as most teams who visit us who actually do set out to play on the counter from the start and have very little interest in going toe to toe with us. 

So Bruce, once again you haven't seen a team come to play on the counter. It was an opportunity we had because we scored first.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nice comments from Steve Bruce:

"Congratulations to Derby, they're easily the best team we've seen here. And they're the ones at the moment who we've got to beat [in the promotion race]"

"Once they got in-front, they're a difficult system to break down. They don't leave many spaces between them, and once again we've seen a team come here and play on the counter which they're ery, very good at."

"I think we have to lick our wounds, get on with it and accept we were beaten by the better team on the night."

what i do like about Steve Bruce - honesty - and fair reflection - they still will be up there come the end

As a fellow left-back I thought Warnock produced an excellent display, but when you score two goals away from home in a 2-0 win it's hard to see how you couldn't be man of the match so I feel sorry for Butterfield. Failing him, Carson should have got it for two brilliant saves (one of which was given as a goal kick).

I thought Weimann put in a great shift and whilst he didn't create a lot in attack he would have scored from Christie's cross bar the fingertips of the keeper which would have capped off a good display.

I remain disappointed with Ince who seems to get deflated far too easily and Russell who plays like a blindfolded sprinter, running beautifully with the ball, straight into trouble.

I would like to see Calero added to the squad to concentrate the minds of these two, who take it in turn only because both are so frustrating.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Steve Bruce says we went there to counter attack. 

No, we went there to get on the ball and keep possession. Which we did and that got us ahead

THEN, we went counter attacking.

Same as Boro did to us. But not the same as most teams who visit us who actually do set out to play on the counter from the start and have very little interest in going toe to toe with us. 

So Bruce, once again you haven't seen a team come to play on the counter. It was an opportunity we had because we scored first.

This is so true, the game was won.  Were they expecting us to go gung ho at 0-2 up, away from home against the leagues top scorer?  It is Clement managing us now, not McClaren.  

10 hours ago, jono said:

That looked so competent. Normally at 70 mins and 2 up I get nervous ( cos I'm like that ) but we seemed to be able to absorb most of the pressure, didn't defend too deep. Apart from the odd incident I sort of felt .. They aren't got to get one back.

what a cracking save from Carson ... Golden moment. And what were hull doing giving butters so much space for his second ?

we're Derby county we're top of the league ... That sounds good doesn't it 

Absolutely agree mate, I usually can't watch, but tonight, I thought we were more likely to get a third, than

they were to score!!

With the confidence we have at the moment - its almost like we've reached another level.

If we win the next two, we have definitely turned the corner.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Check the goalkeeper's positioning for Derby's first goal. What was he doing? Freeze at 1:51

He was marking his right post really well. I thought at the time that it was shocking for a keeper at that level to lose where his goals were. 

What a victory last night, everyone was class, Carsons save would off been spoke about for weeks If it was De Gea, 

last night showed we have the ability to turn up in the big games. We have goal-scorers all over the pitch which can win games, clement doing a cracking job, Ince trying to hard still think he's a threat even not on great form, Wiemann works and helps out defensively very well, Warnock class again his experience really starting to show!

what a defensive turn around.. Anyone know if we have the best record now?

Archived