Simon Dawkins

Ninos

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, robglosta said:

If Steve Nicholson or Colin Gibson weren't puppets they'd ask Clement and find out - they could give us clarity on what has been a curious situation for quite some time. 

Nothing to do with them being puppets - the true answer could be anything on a range from 'not good enough' to 'others are ahead of him at the moment', but whatever it is they'll never publish it while he's here and rightly so. It's not our business and not for Clement to allow the reasons to be published.

46 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Nothing to do with them being puppets - the true answer could be anything on a range from 'not good enough' to 'others are ahead of him at the moment', but whatever it is they'll never publish it while he's here and rightly so. It's not our business and not for Clement to allow the reasons to be published.

If I recall correctly it's never been asked - I think it's a fair interview question even if it gets a spun answer.

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

If I recall correctly it's never been asked - I think it's a fair interview question even if it gets a spun answer.

So, seriously, what's the question, Rob:

SD isn't playing Paul, why's that? 

Well Owen/Gibbo, because other players are doing better than him; because he's still affected by the death of his mum and he's been going back and forth to the Caribbean too much so he's hardly been here; because he's not training as well as we would like him to; because he missed a lot of pre-season due to international duty; because he's just not quite good enough or consistent enough on the evidence of what I have seen so far; because he doesn't fit the system I want to play and we'll move him on as soon as we can. 

and how motivating to Simon Dawkins would any of those answers be (if indeed the real reason is somewhere in there), however much they might satisfy our morbid curiosity to know the ins and outs of every player's situation?

My bet would be that both Dawkins and Clement know exactly why he's not being picked.  I would also hazard a guess that Radio Derby and/or Gibbo have quietly asked, just as they've asked in a roundabout way why Pearce hasn't played - Keogh and Shackell have done well enough to stay in - and are probably quietly respecting some confidences.  That's good enough for me

I thought Owen Bradley had asked and he got the stock answer that all members of the squad are considered as vital, however there are only a finite number of places and some will have to wait for their chance, which may arrive when the games come thick and fast, and injuries and suspensions start to kick in...  Or something along those lines.

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

So, seriously, what's the question, Rob:

SD isn't playing Paul, why's that? 

Well Owen/Gibbo, because other players are doing better than him; because he's still affected by the death of his mum and he's been going back and forth to the Caribbean too much so he's hardly been here; because he's not training as well as we would like him to; because he missed a lot of pre-season due to international duty; because he's just not quite good enough or consistent enough on the evidence of what I have seen so far; because he doesn't fit the system I want to play and we'll move him on as soon as we can. 

and how motivating to Simon Dawkins would any of those answers be (if indeed the real reason is somewhere in there), however much they might satisfy our morbid curiosity to know the ins and outs of every player's situation?

My bet would be that both Dawkins and Clement know exactly why he's not being picked.  I would also hazard a guess that Radio Derby and/or Gibbo have quietly asked, just as they've asked in a roundabout way why Pearce hasn't played - Keogh and Shackell have done well enough to stay in - and are probably quietly respecting some confidences.  That's good enough for me

How about 'He is down the pecking order at the moment but it's a squad game and it's up to him to prove to me in training that he deserves a place in the matchday squad'

21 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Never totally convinced me, though I was at the Fulham cup game when he was unplayable. After every very good game, he seems to be a player who fades away for a while. I don't ever recall him having a consistent run of great form. One thing I will say, is that he was miles better than Jesse Lingard last season and Lingard's in the England squad!

You take that devil of his chest and no way does Lingard get in the England Squad. Ibe was and is a much better player!

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Colin Gibson is the club's Head of Communications. Does anyone seriously think that asking difficult questions is part of his remit?

But this is DCFCfans, we insist on knowing. What right has Colin Sadist Gibson got in denying us the facts, damn it! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Buxton has been recovering from his back operation for much of the time.  The problem for Pearce is that he is 'waiting' for Shacks to get suspended/injured. As such we need to keep him around. Not sure if he can play on the right. He may well get his chance as the season goes on.  Dawson will move .

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Buxton to Burton seems to make far too much sense. 

Would mean a huge wage cut and stepping down from a division that he has proved he is clearly capable of competing in. The move may make sense to a few parties but certainly not to Buxton.

That being said, I imagine he is the type of person who wants to be playing football and would have a great sense of loyalty to the manager who gave him his big chance, so who knows.

Archived