Simon Dawkins

Ninos

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

Makes sense for him to leave. Not really getting a look in at the moment, and at 27 I'm sure he doesn't want to be staying as a player on the fringes of the substitutes bench.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015, 21:55:29, Mr Tibbs said:

I hope he goes and makes a club career somewhere, he's only played 100 odd games and is 27 years old, there's undoubted talent there.

Which makes me wonder about his attitude .

Now, I don't know the bloke and I have no inside knowledge, so I'm probably wide of the mark, but for a 27 year old with his skills and athleticism to have played so few games seems very odd.

He must be doing something to p1ss off his managers.

On 11/12/2015, 9:04:31, eddie said:

The way he tore Fulham to shreds in the league cup last year I thought that would kick-start his Derby career, but he soon faded from the picture under McClaren, and isn't even in the gallery under Clement.

Strange.

I seem to remember that was Hughes and Dawks only getting at the end of things. To some people here he was the messiah... oh well.

8 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Which makes me wonder about his attitude .

Now, I don't know the bloke and I have no inside knowledge, so I'm probably wide of the mark, but for a 27 year old with his skills and athleticism to have played so few games seems very odd.

He must be doing something to p1ss off his managers.

Injuries. Good job jumping to negative conclusions in absence of knowledge.

He should be given an opportunity in the current climate, Ince and Russell are totally under performing and Wiemann is our only other recognised winger. And he's supposed to be a striker. Dawkins and some progression from the youth team would surly be welcome competition for a position that, for one reason or another, is not getting anywhere near the best from the players. At least in some games.

On 11/12/2015 at 19:04, eddie said:

The way he tore Fulham to shreds in the league cup last year I thought that would kick-start his Derby career, but he soon faded from the picture under McClaren, and isn't even in the gallery under Clement.

Strange.

I think in a nutshell you've summed him up. Had the potential to be very good, but lack of consistency and whatever else the coaches were looking for meant he wasn't good enough.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I think in a nutshell you've summed him up. Had the potential to be very good, but lack of consistency and whatever else the coaches were looking for meant he wasn't good enough.

His performance were never dire, they ranged from average to good. The fact that after that, (McClaren) and before he's been tested (Clement) suggests that maybe he's just not putting the effort in in training. 

Ok, we have other players that haven't had a look in (Pearce, Shotton etc.) but they're playing behind very good, in form players but we had a period of having 4 midfielders injured before we bought Butterfield/Johnson and he still didn't get a look in. 

Thought at the start it was just down to international duty and injury but now I'm convinced he's just not training at the level others are. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

His performance were never dire, they ranged from average to good. The fact that after that, (McClaren) and before he's been tested (Clement) suggests that maybe he's just not putting the effort in in training. 

Ok, we have other players that haven't had a look in (Pearce, Shotton etc.) but they're playing behind very good, in form players but we had a period of having 4 midfielders injured before we bought Butterfield/Johnson and he still didn't get a look in. 

Thought at the start it was just down to international duty and injury but now I'm convinced he's just not training at the level others are. 

Or, to look at it from an other angle, it might be that his heart's not it in and he simply doesn't want to be here anymore. Who knows?

What is clear is that he doesn't appear to have a future at Derby, so best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Just now, VulcanRam said:

Or, to look at it from an other angle, it might be that his heart's not it in and he simply doesn't want to be here anymore. Who knows?

What is clear is that he doesn't appear to have a future at Derby, so best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

That would still be "not training at the same level". I'm not suggesting he's a lazy player. maybe he just never really settled into the idea of playing for Derby. Maybe his personal troubles effected him. Maybe he's lazy. I don't know, but it's clear that whatever the reason he doesn't really want to be here any more. 

1 minute ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Still think the best is yet to come for Dawks but it won't be at Derby!

If the best doesn't come he'll have had a pretty poor career, unable to break into the first team of any club he's played for. Done well internationally though. And hey, at least he has all that money. .

23 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Still think the best is yet to come for Dawks but it won't be at Derby!

Really? He is 28 and has struggled everywhere he has been. He might look a lot better if he plays in the MLS but that doen't mean he is better. What we've seen from Dawks is exactly what the next manager will get.

51 minutes ago, admira said:

At one stage last year, he had the best passing stats of any player in the Championship. Personally I'd like to see him on the bench as an option.

Never totally convinced me, though I was at the Fulham cup game when he was unplayable. After every very good game, he seems to be a player who fades away for a while. I don't ever recall him having a consistent run of great form. One thing I will say, is that he was miles better than Jesse Lingard last season and Lingard's in the England squad!

Archived