Richard Keogh Appreciation Thread

Cam the Ram

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clement on Keogh (Burton Mail):

PAUL Clement is pleased with Derby County's defensive foundation in the opening weeks of the season, writes STEVE NICHOLSON.

The Rams head coach has also praised the centre-back pairing of Jason Shackell and Richard Keogh.

Derby have conceded three goals in four Championship matches.

Two of the goals against Charlton and Birmingham came from deflected strikes that gave keeper Scott Carson no chance.

Clement looked at a number of centre-back partnerships during pre-season.

Shackell, a £3m summer signing from Burnley, and Keogh have emerged as first choice although fellow-centre backs Alex Pearce and Ryan Shotton are providing competition for places.

"I think they (Shackell and Keogh) have done well," said Clement.

"Obviously, Jason came in a little bit later and so during pre-season it was about trying the other pairings.

"Shackell came in and has hit the ground running and Keogh has responded well to a really difficult start because there was a lot of speculation about him maybe moving on and not being the club captain.

"He has settled down really well and showed he has got a lot of character and personality about him.

"He has played well individually, and the two of them together have played well."

Clement says there is good balance to the pairing.

"They have got lots of qualities," he said. "The age they are at, they have got lots of experience and there is a balance. One is right-sided, one left-sided.

"They are both decent on the ball, they both have leadership qualities and organisational qualities. Put all those things together, and it is a good mix.

"I have also got good other centre-back options with Pearce, Shotton and now Jake Buxton is starting to get fit again."

Pearce joined the Rams from Reading this summer and his one appearance in the five matches played was a start against Portsmouth in the Capital One Cup.

Shotton has yet to start a game and has made three appearances from the bench.

Clement says Pearce and Shotton have to be patient.

"It has not been easy for Alex," said Clement. "He came here, I'm sure, hoping and expecting to play right from the start but we have got competition for places.

"I do value him. He is a good player and a good person. He has to be ready to take his opportunity when it comes."

Read more: http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-boss-Paul-Clement-praises-central/story-27677493-detail/story.html#ixzz3juny5RjK 
Follow us: @BurtonMailNews on Twitter | BurtonNews on Facebook

And more from Clement on Keogh  (DCFC site):

Paul Clement says Richard Keogh has shown ‘great quality’ in his early-season appearances in a Derby County shirt.

The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international has played every minute of every Sky Bet Championship fixture so far this season, alongside Jason Shackell at the heart of the Rams’ defence.

Keogh has been in impressive form and has already struck up a promising understanding alongside Shackell, who joined Derby on a three-year deal from Burnley in July.

Clement says he has been impressed with Keogh’s attitude and displays, particularly after the Head Coach selected Chris Baird as Derby’s captain for the 2015/16 campaign. 

Keogh, who was named in the PFA Championship Team of the Season for 2014/15, had worn the armband for the previous three seasons - and Clement says he has responded in a positive manner.

It’s not something that the 43-year-old is surprised about having worked with Keogh whilst on the coaching staff with the Republic of Ireland’s Under 21 side.

He told Rams Player HD: “Richard Keogh was the only player that I knew and had previously worked alongside coming in to Derby County in June.

“I worked with him when I was on the coaching staff of the Republic of Ireland Under 21s a few years ago.

“I remember him being a great guy and warrior on the pitch. 

“During a tournament that we won in Portugal, he played in two games whilst he was injured which says a lot about him.

“I knew what to expect from him and already he has shown that he is a very determined young man.

“He had a few challenges when he came back for this season and he has responded really well; what he has shown is a great quality.”

He added: “I’m very happy with his performances and he is playing with confidence. 

“He believes, and why not, that he is one of the best central defenders in this league.

“He was voted in the Championship’s Team of the Season last year and his performances back that up.”

Clement has been impressed with the defensive displays of his side so far this season, from back to front.

Two of the three league goals that Derby have conceded so far this season have been deflected efforts, but overall Clement has been encouraged by the solidity displayed by his players.

He said: “Jason and Richard have started promisingly but you have to say that the whole team has performed well defensively, from Chris Martin up front to Scott Carson in goal.

“The centre-backs have done well but we have a number of good players that play in that position and, like I’ve said previously, competition for places is just what we need.

“We’ve got Alex Pearce and Ryan Shotton, while Jake Buxton is also on his way back after a long-term injury.”

He added: “We have shown in our games so far that we will be a difficult team to beat, both home and away.

“There’s not one area of the team that’s more important than any other but if you are strong defensively, you have a great opportunity to build on that foundation and go on to win games.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/clement-hails-keoghs-great-quality-2646089.aspx#Ps26oJMrqIIsK9kX.99

• 1 month later...

Even when he was off his game he gave everything. I doubt it is the change of captaincy that has seen Richards revival .. Pure and simple he is playing next to a player he trusts and can work with.. We are now seeing a man freed from trying to drain the swamp at the same time as fighting the alligators. He is taking or playing the ball out of defence confidently because he has Shacks covering his backside .. They are a great duo because their games compliment each other. 

I think you're right Olly - the pressure of the captaincy and having to play alongside (and at time compensate for) numerous different centre halves was making Keogh try too hard and affecting his game - he can now concentrate on playing his game knowing that Shackell will do his job and someone else can do the captain's work. I've criticised him in the past, but he's proved me wrong this season - one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment....

I think you're right Olly - the pressure of the captaincy and having to play alongside (and at time compensate for) numerous different centre halves was making Keogh try too hard and affecting his game - he can now concentrate on playing his game knowing that Shackell will do his job and someone else can do the captain's work. I've criticised him in the past, but he's proved me wrong this season - one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment....

You haven't been proved wrong at all, last season he was a nightmare. This season I would probably put it down to Paul Clement rather than Jason Shackell, but he has improved immensely, he stays on his feet and holds his position which is probably line one & two on page one of the book of defending. I have no problem with Keogh if he carries on like that.

ps. He was caught on his heels for Wolves 2nd goal though :p

Archived