Richard Keogh Appreciation Thread

Cam the Ram

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get to see the game so have zero comment. But I was kept up to date by two ex professionals who saI'd he had a mare and couldn't deal with the big man upfront. 

Different people see different things. I suppose that's why we love it. 

From what I have seen so far with my own eyes, he has played well. 

After hearing his interview the other day, it's clear to see he knows of fan's opinions about him on social media. There's a chance he may have also read parts of this forum before or been told about it (Owen Bradley and Mel Morris browse on here so you never know, the players may have a quick glance to see what people think of them) and I wanted to make a thread to show him how much I/we appreciate his performances and the effort he puts in for Derby County.

Another fantastic performance again tonight against Birmingham, keep it up Keogh!

I would have preferred you had sent him a letter. All that gush, I nearly chucked up in my cornflakes.

Wait till you hear the speech I've got lined up for Russell then, this is nothing in comparison! :ph34r:

I now have a bag ready.  For the record JR took his goal well - good first touch, and nice clean hit.  He also had two perhaps three cutting runs, where ultimately he lost the ball because he didn't look up. Other than that he had a couple of occasions when he really should have shot but didn't and most of the time he was making a lot of one or two touch passes to the opposition.

I now have a bag ready.  For the record JR took his goal well - good first touch, and nice clean hit.  He also had two perhaps three cutting runs, where ultimately he lost the ball because he didn't look up. Other than that he had a couple of occasions when he really should have shot but didn't and most of the time he was making a lot of one or two touch passes to the opposition.

Yeah he made a fair few errors yesterday. I've seen in the match thread quite a few rated him as our best attacking player last night but I personally thought it was Ince, he ran the show in the 2nd half and looked like the Ince we had last season.

The centre back pairing is looking very solid so far, can only really think of one or two chances that have come from that position (McGurk header and Donaldson header).

Keogh seems to look a lot calmer this year, not throwing himself into silly tackles and trying to make up for an error that the majority of Derby fans did not hold against him anyway!

Will be interesting to see how we cope when we finally come up against an opponent that puts us under pressure.

The captain's armband was weighing Keogh down i think.  Been happy with his contribution so far this season.  He has his confidence back and so much so that he attempted a shot at goal from well outside the box last night.  Was also amused to see how he tore into that tall Brum player who landed with his studs on Keogh's upper arm and how he wasn't having any of his excuses.  i admit it, i wanted him out after the season, but he is growing on me.

Personally I think it's not the weight off captain that's improved him, nor do I think he's actually "improved" as a player. It's our defence that has improved.

We look a lot more solid and I can only put that down to have a nailed on CB partnership that will start every game providing fitness and injury allows us to. I don't remember anywhere near much concern over our defending in 2013/14 compared to last season, where injuries meant we were constantly chopping and changing. Keogh RB, Fozzy playing CB. We could play one game then the next week have 3 of the back 4 changing.

To have a partnership of Keogh and Shackell is going to do the team the world of good, we haven't been outdone and teams are restricted to long shots. How many shots did Birmingham have last night and how many of those were when they got behind our defence? I think with a solid partner in Shackell next to him, people's opinions over Keogh will dramatically change come the end of the season.

Although we have improved at the back, we still look frail and I can only put my finger on Keogh as the culprit. Quite aside from his 100% failure rate in the air against Davidson last night he seems to lack discipline and will regularly find himself out of position, with his man free.  The space Davidson had last night was shocking. He'll be sending Mrs K some flowers today for sure. Shackell looked strong again.  I wish Christie and Shots would simply give up trying to beat their right backs, they neither have the speed or the skill.

Seriously don't understand this, on sky sports they keep reiterating that he got stick last season for his performances, he was one of the best players for the second half of the season and one of very few of who looked like they gave a ****. Maybe I have been oblivious to the abuse he has been receiving....

Seriously don't understand this, on sky sports they keep reiterating that he got stick last season for his performances, he was one of the best players for the second half of the season and one of very few of who looked like they gave a ****. Maybe I have been oblivious to the abuse he has been receiving....

Im thinking your newish here Alan, welcome .

You are joking right? He's been absolutely slated on the forums, on Twitter, in the ground, outside the ground, in the pubs. Unjustified of course because like you say (excuse the turn of phrase), he was one of the better players last season especially towards the end of the season.

I've always stood by Keogh and I agree with others saying he was one of our better players at the end of last season.

I think that maybe as Captain, though, Keogh thought he had the whole responsibility of the defense on his shoulders and would try to cover for everyone else and ultimately find himself out of position as a result of trying to do too much.

Now without the captaincy he can almost relax a little and just focus on his own role and not have yo cover for everyone else. The fact he has Keogh at his side and Thorne in front of him may also be a factor in this.

The fact he has Keogh at his side and Thorne in front of him may also be a factor in this.

Two Keogh's side by side, intriguing prospect but i fear they would never get along

Agree with most of your points.  Keogh is now able to concentrate on his job better and it shows, seems like he's enjoying his football again and that has to be a good thing for the team as a disgruntled Keogh is probably best avoided.

I was critical of Keogh (not abusive - there is a difference) - but he has relished this season and is playing to his strengths.

The difference is Shackell - he is the 'big stopper' who anchors the defence in the rearguard, and Keogh is able to move out and confront attackers, which he is able to do - however last season, there was no-one as a back-stop behind him, and he was often 'nursing' Christie too, who is positionally unsound.

Keogh was often caught in two minds last season and if he made an error or a forward slipped him, it meant we conceded, with gaps everywhere. Shackell provides that security and the defence can grow around him.

I was expecting Keogh to leave (and until Shackell came, would have been in high glee if we'd have received £3-4m for him as rumoured), but I now think he and Shack are a tremendous partnership and may forge one of the meanest defences in the League.

Having George in front of him is of course a great asset, too, and winless or not, we are looking quite promising and solid and a work in progress that might just - if the forwards put on their shooting boots - tan an opposing team or two pretty soon

Archived