Richard Keogh Appreciation Thread

Cam the Ram

He has definitely proved his doubters wrong and I'm pleased for him. As a side note it must of been nice for Cyrus to get the appreciation from the fans when he came off. Both players have really turned it round. Hopefully it will continue until the end of the season and beyond. I was worried PC would drop Cyrus and if he had I think it would of destroyed him. Obviously a confidence player. You can see it by how many balls he was putting in at the weekend. Last season he wouldn't have been making those runs and if he had he would have just played it backwards. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has definitely proved his doubters wrong and I'm pleased for him. As a side note it must of been nice for Cyrus to get the appreciation from the fans when he came off. Both players have really turned it round. Hopefully it will continue until the end of the season and beyond. I was worried PC would drop Cyrus and if he had I think it would of destroyed him. Obviously a confidence player. You can see it by how many balls he was putting in at the weekend. Last season he wouldn't have been making those runs and if he had he would have just played it backwards. 

Money on Baird starting tomorrow.

I'm afraid you are right but i really hope not. Why drop someone who is playing well and it is so apparent he is playing with confidence, it could set him back to where he was a few months ago.

Christie's played a lot just recently, whereas Baird has not - but I doubt one match on the bench would dent his confidence that much, I'm sure he'd understand.

That said, I'd rather see Christie on the pitch than Baird on Tuesday night.. he's played very well.

As for Keogh, well, he's back to his best - but that's what happens when you're doing one man's job instead of two. He never lost the quality he had before.

Christie's played a lot just recently, whereas Baird has not - but I doubt one match on the bench would dent his confidence that much, I'm sure he'd understand.

That said, I'd rather see Christie on the pitch than Baird on Tuesday night.. he's played very well.

As for Keogh, well, he's back to his best - but that's what happens when you're doing one man's job instead of two. He never lost the quality he had before.

Which is fine but then if Baird plays well will Baird be dropped in the same way? You say he's played alot, not really, didn't play in Rep Ire second game. He's played less than Keogh and Hendrick and you wouldn't expect either of those to be dropped. If he does 'rest' him i personally feel it will be a little harsh.

Which is fine but then if Baird plays well will Baird be dropped in the same way? You say he's played alot, not really, didn't play in Rep Ire second game. He's played less than Keogh and Hendrick and you wouldn't expect either of those to be dropped. If he does 'rest' him i personally feel it will be a little harsh.

In the context of Baird vs. Christie, the latter has played more. 

I don't think it's just Shackell, but the presence of a proper defensive midfielder as well. At the tail-end of last season, Keogh had no consistent partner to his left and nobody in front who was good enough to provide that extra layer of screening in front of him, what with Eustace, Thorne and Mascarell all out for a good chunk of time. Because of this, I'm guessing he felt like he had a lot of ground to cover (and being the captain, felt that pressure even more).

I don't just think Keogh suffered from this either. Both full backs looked nervy towards the end of the season, and also hesitant to get forward, again, possibly due to the lack of dedicated DM to create the back-three when we were attacking. Christie especially seemed to struggle, which in my view put extra pressure on Keogh to cover him and coach him through the games.

This season, it seems like there's been a chain reaction with the return of Thorne. All of the defenders know there is cover in front of them, and so consequently they've got their confidence back, which has seemingly in turn lead to a huge weight being lifted off Keogh's shoulders as he doesn't feel he needs to play both CB positions and cover for Christie at RB all at once.

Archived