The view from the outside 15/16

Ambitious

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, SC was having a dig at us - as we looked like we went for the point, until the sending off, which did change the course of the game.

We got a second win, but to be very honest our performances are not too convincing, we are not the attacking team of last year and our passing/ build up play is poor - this is down to the coach.

Burnley will be a much tougher test, on another thread a few weeks back I said I was hoping for a convincing win at Preston. yeah we got that win but convincing we are certainly not. We scraped that win against a very average championship side.

I have seen lately that both Brighton and Boro have now got going, one has a very good coach that knows how to get out of the Championship, and the other has a very good squad - they will both be there or there about in May.

We have I think the best squad in the division, we are not playing like we have, we do look labored at times and we need to improve our performances throughout 90 mins, as I think we might struggle against the better sides in the championship, aka Burnley, Hull. Brighton and Boro especially as those teams have got going..........

No, SC was having a dig at us - as we looked like we went for the point, until the sending off, which did change the course of the game.

We got a second win, but to be very honest our performances are not too convincing, we are not the attacking team of last year and our passing/ build up play is poor - this is down to the coach.

Burnley will be a much tougher test, on another thread a few weeks back I said I was hoping for a convincing win at Preston. yeah we got that win but convincing we are certainly not. We scraped that win against a very average championship side.

I have seen lately that both Brighton and Boro have now got going, one has a very good coach that knows how to get out of the Championship, and the other has a very good squad - they will both be there or there about in May.

We have I think the best squad in the division, we are not playing like we have, we do look labored at times and we need to improve our performances throughout 90 mins, as I think we might struggle against the better sides in the championship, aka Burnley, Hull. Brighton and Boro especially as those teams have got going..........

We have lost some of our attacking edge in some games, but we are a hell of a lot more solid. No more worries about having to score 2 or 3 just to hopefully get a point. The edge we are missing will come back no need to worry just yet.

I have to completely disagree with that last bit. McClarens gung-ho approach was completely unsuited to playing the teams you mention. Which is why we always lost to Boro and Burnley. This team has already proved in the Boro game it can stand toe to toe with those sort of teams now.

Fans waiting for a repeat of the McClaren style performance could be in for a long wait. This is a different team with a different style. Yes, performances can still be improved, but I don't expect any of the everyone bomb forward and if you score 3 we'll try and score 4 approach of last season. Which ultimately failed miserably.

I have to completely disagree with that last bit. McClarens gung-ho approach was completely unsuited to playing the teams you mention. Which is why we always lost to Boro and Burnley. This team has already proved in the Boro game it can stand toe to toe with those sort of teams now.

Fans waiting for a repeat of the McClaren style performance could be in for a long wait. This is a different team with a different style. Yes, performances can still be improved, but I don't expect any of the everyone bomb forward and if you score 3 we'll try and score 4 approach of last season. Which ultimately failed miserably.

What? It was those two opponents that we DIDN'T play gung-ho against!!!!!

Away from home at Burnley we were on the front foot the whole time, even with 10 men, but against Boro we were like rabbits trapped in headlights.

Boro TOTALLY dominated us last year... We just didn't know how to deal with their organised, brutally efficient style of play...

Burnley I'd say was different... reports I read of the away game was that we were unlucky and looked good against them...

It's why I've appreciated the game against Boro this season so much more than any other points... Clement has obviously got a plan to deal with teams like that... Last season we barely looked in the game against Boro... This season I'd argue we matched them blow for blow...

There wasn't many complaints when we were 5 pts clear at the beginning of March last season.

The injuries that cost us the last 10 games, and because we didn't have a big quality squad  we could't cope defending.

Getting in Baird, Shacks and maybe Pearson in defence has addressed this area.

We have the same quality forwards we had last season, the squad is sooooo much better - but the attacking tactics are now dire, the overall performances have been poor with the quality of the available players and this solely rests with PC.

We have lost all knowledge on how to break down teams who line up with banks of 4 [eg charlton /boro], we are not using the width, the quickness of the passing has gone, what happened to the slick passing we were doing?

Yes, we lost Hughes but we gained Butters and Johnson two very experienced midfielders.

Our performances should be much betetr than they currently are, we should not be scraping wins against the likes of Preston and Reading, with respect to both teams I do not expect them to be battling for promotion this season.

Burnley on Monday will give us a better test, but we really do need to improve our performance if we want to win that game.

There wasn't many complaints when we were 5 pts clear at the beginning of March last season.

The injuries that cost us the last 10 games, and because we didn't have a big quality squad  we could't cope defending.

Getting in Baird, Shacks and maybe Pearson in defence has addressed this area.

We have the same quality forwards we had last season, the squad is sooooo much better - but the attacking tactics are now dire, the overall performances have been poor with the quality of the available players and this solely rests with PC.

We have lost all knowledge on how to break down teams who line up with banks of 4 [eg charlton /boro], we are not using the width, the quickness of the passing has gone, what happened to the slick passing we were doing?

Yes, we lost Hughes but we gained Butters and Johnson two very experienced midfielders.

Our performances should be much betetr than they currently are, we should not be scraping wins against the likes of Preston and Reading, with respect to both teams I do not expect them to be battling for promotion this season.

Burnley on Monday will give us a better test, but we really do need to improve our performance if we want to win that game.

yeah I wasn't complaining. I enjoyed McClarens reign for the most part. And I agree we need to show abit more attacking. But I think Clement has already shown he actually when it comes to tough games, it a bit more tactically astute, than the tactically inept McClaren. 

Of course the Burnley game will test my theory out.

yeah I wasn't complaining. I enjoyed McClarens reign for the most part. And I agree we need to show abit more attacking. But I think Clement has already shown he actually when it comes to tough games, it a bit more tactically astute, than the tactically inept McClaren. 

Of course the Burnley game will test my theory out.

So a draw against Boro at home has shown you Clement is more tactically astute than McLaren?

I don't know how any person off the street can call a man who has managed England, managed how many professional games, won trophies in the game tactically inept is comical.

So a draw against Boro at home has shown you Clement is more tactically astute than McLaren?

I don't know how any person off the street can call a man who has managed England, managed how many professional games, won trophies in the game tactically inept is comical.

always glad to bring laughter to someone mate, and if you think McClaren was good tactically you've returned the favour.

Not all managers, including successful ones are necessarily good tacticians.

Butterfield and Johnson were both signed after Charlton and Boro, and since they have been on board we have won both games (albeit not by playing particularly well).

Are you REALLY a Derby fan? I have my nagging doubts because of the number of seemingly contradictory statements that you continue to make.

There are plenty on here who value their own Football Manager experience highly.

always glad to bring laughter to someone mate, and if you think McClaren was good tactically you've returned the favour.

Not all managers, including successful ones are necessarily good tacticians.

I think you need to speak to some people who have played the game as a professional and played under Steve Mc if you believe he is tactically inept.

You do know he is renowned in the game for being very clever in this area? Of course you will know more about it though as I imagine you work in the game and not just a fan, you clearly will have a your UEFA A licence with your knowledge

Butterfield and Johnson were both signed after Charlton and Boro, and since they have been on board we have won both games (albeit not by playing particularly well).

Are you REALLY a Derby fan? I have my nagging doubts because of the number of seemingly contradictory statements that you continue to make.

I didn't mention that Butters and Johnson were playing in the Charlton/Boro games, mainly saying that we should be playing much better with the quality of the players we have, others on here keep making excuses for midfielders being out injured IE Hughes etc.

Yes, we have won two games but our performances are nowhere near convincing, we had managed to hang on in both games and against two very average sides, this is not we would expect to be doing with possibly the best squad in the division.

Some on here have their heads buried in the sand, some on here think Clement can do no wrong, He is judged on his results and although two wins is two wins, its the performances and they are not good, and unless we start to play like a team with quality players we have then we will struggle against the better sides in the division.

Remember Clement is not here on a YTS, he is not here to learn how to become a coach  - he has been employed as a full feldged coach.

He has at his disposal the best team of quality players in the championship, so why are the performances so dire?

We have had 2 wins from 8 games and I have seen nothing in pre season and in our 8 games since then that says Clement know what is is doing, the alarm bells were ringing at Grimsby and I did air my views then but some on here kept saying its only pre season, it will come good once the season kicks off......... Still waiting......

The scary thing is, I do see another Brian Kidd........

Archived