Confirmed: The style of football will change

Ambitious

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the style of play does change dramatically,ill certainly miss it....i loved watching Derby when it came together over the past two seasons (esp v wolves and forest) but some aspects were clearly fragile and left us in a right old state......

Hopefully Clements input will result in attacking play but with a defensive backbone to go with it......emulating real Madrid wouldn'tbe a bad template and the team have plenty of time to get their heads around it

The style does need to change and to be a lot more flexible than over the last 2 seasons. Our biggest undoing last season was trying to play a system that clearly didn't work with the players available at the time when others were injured.

There is no way the team can play the same system when Bent is playing as the system we use with Martin playing. I also like the idea of Bent playing around and ahead of Martin with midfielders also running beyond him to be able to make the best use of Martins hold up play and his clever passing. 

I don't think the style will change that much, he is just saying what every new manager says he will put his own ideas across. Why would the club move away from what we have done the last 2 years where pretty much we have been playing attacking free flowing football with the fans loving it, I thought this is what Mel Morris wants as the derby way? Yes we all know what happened the last 6 odd weeks but surely it doesn't mean they start going down totally different route and it doesn't really look that way with the players we have signed. To many people are making to much of what he said.

Didn't the club state not long ago that they wanted the whole setup to be self continuing. That any appointments would have to comply with what was already in place and not bring in whole sale changes. To me that would imply that although the manager may tweak certain parts of the system we use he wouldn't change to a drastically different one. I imagine that the changes are slightly positional, with some changes to how the players should react when we have or haven't got the ball. The players have been using the same system, with I imagine the same instructions, for nearly 2 years. Changes, however small, will take time for them to become natural. That is what I think was alluded to by Thorne in the interview.

Why did it frustrate you? It was the best football we have played for over 10 years, (last 6 weeks apart)

I said sometimes frustrating!  When we were playing well it was lovely to watch , but I thought we got found out , close us down , play tight at the back then no plan b ! Hopefully clement will bring a style that can be more adaptive to different teams / situations !

I said sometimes frustrating!  When we were playing well it was lovely to watch , but I thought we got found out , close us down , play tight at the back then no plan b ! Hopefully clement will bring a style that can be more adaptive to different teams / situations !

Any team struggles when they get pressed high up the pitch, the best teams in the world sometimes lose.  Some of the teams that did that to us we took apart and the odd occasion it worked. No plan b? steve mc tried all sorts of plans, against reading we were down to about plan G. Watching the best teams they play their way pretty much all the time.

Any team struggles when they get pressed high up the pitch, the best teams in the world sometimes lose.  Some of the teams that did that to us we took apart and the odd occasion it worked. No plan b? steve mc tried all sorts of plans, against reading we were down to about plan G. Watching the best teams they play their way pretty much all the time.

I wasn't comparing us to the best teams in the world ! The best teams don't let teams press them , they control the game . Regarding plan g , none of them plans worked because they were all basically the same just pushed more people up the pitch , the passing and tempo remained roughly the same ! 

For me, six new players, with more to come and six or seven backroom changes is about par for the course when a new manager arrives. The difference here is that the Manager/Head coach was told which direction things should go in. Derby were smart enough to ask a manger who agreed with the plan so it is an easy transition. At the end of the day, Mel Morris has not worked at the Clubs that Paul Clement has and the England system that Peacock used. In our case, Mel Morris is a very intelligent guy and when Paul Clement says "What about this, it worked at Real Madrid?", it becomes a no brainer because Real know better than us. That is why they are the world's most valuable Club. 

Clement will surely be implementing the training/tactics/fitness that he is used to coaching. He has been at supremely successful sides. The experience he brings will not ruin our style, I imagine it will just be a more intensive intelligent approach. Our players know he will be comparing them (not critically) with the worlds best. That is bound to have a positive effect.

Interesting his interview on Rams Player he says he has had to hold back the intensity just a little as the lads are that keen. I was impressed to hear how he spoke now he has got started for real. sounds intelligent, direct and confident.

This imo is going to be one heck of a season. The feel good factor is back in a massive way and when the team is backed home & away by DCFC fans we are difficult to stop. I personally cant wait for the season to start.

Part two of Thorne's interview went up. Says he was rushed back last season which is now, and I quote,

"a learning curve for myself, the physios, maybe even for the manager at the time"

Shots fired..... :ermm: Sounds like a bit of a dig to me.

Why did it frustrate you? It was the best football we have played for over 10 years, (last 6 weeks apart)

It was OK for a few weeks but so predictable to the point where any team with an ounce of organisation could defend reasonably easily against it.

Part two of Thorne's interview went up. Says he was rushed back last season which is now, and I quote,

"a learning curve for myself, the physios, maybe even for the manager at the time"

Shots fired..... :ermm: Sounds like a bit of a dig to me.

Think any player would be angered with being rushed back from injury, to suffer worse.

Very interesting interview otherwise though - his injuries clearly upset him, there's a marked change in tone when he's talking about it. Let's hope its behind him now. If this season is a failure for him, there's a real danger he will be seen as an expensive flop.

The only style of football,which really matters is a winning style,I am sure Derby will have that this season,I always like to play a good passing attacking game,And with the players we have like Wiemann,Ince,Martin , Hughes ,Bent and Russell,to mention just a few,I am sure we will get the ipro rocking,I am really up for it this season.

Obviously we are all guessing, but I remember Clement saying about using horses for courses, something I always feel should be applied,  so I was glad to hear it, therefore I think the system will change slightly from game to game,  and so will the starting 11, I'm curious and excited for next season,  but I feel goals, lots of goals with Martin, Ince, Bent and Weiman to choose from up front ?

To those at the match today... What was so different about the system then? 

Still playing 433, but Baird reiterated in his post match interview that the players are trying to get used to the way the new coach  wants them to play. 

Did you see anything different today? 

Amen.

Archived